Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 16:10 It is currently 07 May 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kroll is known for conducting substance abuse and credit report checks. Although I doubt they make students take a urinalysis these days, especially international applicants. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also saw the same thing on in my acceptance packet. My letter said they would only check education, employment, and references. It was $100 which was to be taken out of my deposit.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
How exactly do they check your employment? Do they just call your former employers? I worked as an intern for a while and I wasn't paid. There won't be any tax records for that time, but I am putting it on my resume. Also, I worked as a waiter through college, but I left that off of my resume. Does this matter?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
justin520 wrote:
How exactly do they check your employment? Do they just call your former employers? I worked as an intern for a while and I wasn't paid. There won't be any tax records for that time, but I am putting it on my resume. Also, I worked as a waiter through college, but I left that off of my resume. Does this matter?

Same here, waited tables for cash all through college and never once filed taxes during those five years. Was sweating bullets that something was going to be red flagged, but nothing ever came up. I think these krolls are trolling criminal archives for violent felons and white collar convicts rather than people who have unpaid parking tickets or JC Penny charge offs.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think what they check varies. If they find something out of the ordinary they will do a more detailed check than if their initial search turns up clean. One sure thing is they will run a credit report, a school isn't going to want a student there that wont be able to pay for second year that would hurt their graduation % and also though its common these days you would think that it would not be a common problem for MBA students. They will run a check for a criminal record to see if you have anything there that concerns them. If you have 6 DUI convictions or an assualt and battery they may take issue with that unless you talked about it in your optional essay or addressed it at some point.

As for an employment check I think they will care whats your post college grad, they wont care if you worked at a grocery store in high school. So for not putting you worked as a waiter that shouldn't be an issue. As for putting an internship on your resume, schools usually state they only want to know your post graduation employment history...so unless it happened after college they probably wont even consider it. Internships typically aren't seen as valid unless its very unusual.

For references at most they will spot check them to see if they even exist. They may call one up and ask if they wrote a recommendation for you. I think with consultants and all the other knowledge people have these days on the app process, schools are trying to prevent people from scamming their way. Though it still does happen and you read stories about people doing stupid things trying to cover it up, like the guy who broke into his undergrad to change his transcript.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
GSB hasn't asked me to pay anything yet... maybe they will ?

HBS didn't make me pay anything, either. I just had to send the fax authorizing Kroll to contact my employer and that was it. It's not included in my 1st term bill (which I received recently) either.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm about to freak out... I had an internship/part time job in college that I put on the "employment" section of my app, thinking it was supposed to go there. Now on the verification sheet I have to send to Kroll, they want to know my start and end dates. Trouble is that this company was bought out and I have no idea about the end date. Have any of you heard of students getting flagged in this process?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What exactly is on a credit report check? I always supposed it was like a credit rating, but I guess it has more info?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
What exactly is on a credit report check? I always supposed it was like a credit rating, but I guess it has more info?

They know what you did last summer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
They know what you did last summer.

I dont think they would be able to check every single thing you write in your app, even if Kroll wants to. I have done a bunch of things like running my own small business, working for the family, volunteering here and there etc for which no records exist now. Traditionally, record-keeping was absent/incomplete in most Indian establishments(especially in the private small business sector) until beginning the early 1990s. I cant imagine that Kroll would be able to verify records when not present.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, that was a lame attempt at a joke.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i cant imagine this being much more detailed than a credit/criminal record check. my background check for my government security clearance took over a year... im not worried about some bschool background check.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I can understand the school's interest in checking criminal and employment records. But why the swear word should they check financial/credit records. Applying to a school shouldn't give it the right to reckless abuse ones' privacy.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I can understand the school's interest in checking criminal and employment records. But why the <insert> should they check financial/credit records. Applying to a school shouldn't give it the right to reckless abuse ones' privacy.

That's why I'm wondering if there's something in the credit record that explicitly states or even implies something. Because otherwise, I don't see its relevance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your credit score is considered a sign of your responsibility. In a lot of states car insurance actually use it as a factor to calculate rates. If you have huge debt you are a liability and some companies wont hire you, so that may be why they care.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Your credit score is considered a sign of your responsibility. In a lot of states car insurance actually use it as a factor to calculate rates. If you have huge debt you are a liability and some companies wont hire you, so that may be why they care.

Yea, pretty much what I figured.

I know they do it for employment purposes. I always thought it was ironic that an employer might not hire someone because the person is in debt. So how does he ever pay off his debt?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Yea, pretty much what I figured.

I know they do it for employment purposes. I always thought it was ironic that an employer might not hire someone because the person is in debt. So how does he ever pay off his debt?

I tend to think companies are more interested in how you got the debt. If you have debt from a medical problem or family issue thats not going to be a red flag. However, maxing out 10 store credit cards and having a car repoed because you just had to have a 335i but couldnt afford it, are going to tell them you are an idiot who can't control themselves.

Especially if you are going to work in anything related to finance...Once again its a case of schools not only looking out for who they bring in but also who they graduate.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3