Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I remember something about "there will be no formal admission decision unless the paper transcripts are received" or something like that.

Kryz,

My traditional question to you - what's your suggestion on font size, font type (Times New Roman, Arial ?), intervals between the lines and page margines in UCLA's essays? Is it similar to Stan's double, 12 Times...

Nick
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
UCLA lets you go down to 11 pt font, and I heard 10 pt arial is easier to read than 11 pt times (I wish I knew that earlier) and can fit a few more words.

I used 0.7" margins all around and 1.9 spacing, I think...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
UCLA lets you go down to 11 pt font, and I heard 10 pt arial is easier to read than 11 pt times (I wish I knew that earlier) and can fit a few more words.

I used 0.7" margins all around and 1.9 spacing, I think...

Did you hear about 10 arial from the admissions? I would not risk to downsize 11 to 10 if they recommend 11 or above....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
no, river suggested it in the Kellogg forum. I used 11 pt times.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
no, river suggested it in the Kellogg forum. I used 11 pt times.

Ok. Thank you, man.

Btw, do you have any suggestions to the foreign applicants like me? Maybe, you have come across some foreign applicant in California...

If I graduated from non-US non-English-speaking institution, shall I make the photocopy of my foreign language transcripts and then with the attached English translation send UCLA a single pdf-file.

Or can I solely use the translation of the transcript in xls-file (with that nice breakdown from another school's template)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
eh... that's something that's out of my realm of knowledge. I don't want to risk misleading you, so I would probably post something in the main forum and ask. There are a LOT of foreign applicants who may have similar experiences.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
eh... that's something that's out of my realm of knowledge. I don't want to risk misleading you, so I would probably post something in the main forum and ask. There are a LOT of foreign applicants who may have similar experiences.

Good idea :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nick, I would recommend u to scan both the original transcript and the translation...and send to UCLA.. that should suffice for now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Nick, I would recommend u to scan both the original transcript and the translation...and send to UCLA.. that should suffice for now.

That would be a good solution but the problem is that the order of subjects in the official transcript and in the translated one is different, i.e. I adapted my translation to the templates of the American schools (you know, those "terms"). In my university it is a solid list without any division into terms.

However, I may tell the adcom: well, I adapted my translation for your convinience, I know that in America you divide this sh*t into terms and you even have those cr*p called term's/ year's GPA.

Otherwise, backwards adaptation of the translation will be a headache for me - two diplomas with at least 80 subjects for careful review :)

However, I started emphasizing too much.... Sorry, if it so, guys... :roll:

Nick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
Hi All, just want to confirm.

Per UCLA website, they seem to say that GMAT has to arrive before app deadline, but Transcript required only after admitted.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

For TOEFL, is it the same principle as for GMAT? Should the TOEFL score be received by UCLA before the deadline? Here I have no vague idea. Guys, maybe you will help? :P

Originally posted by nick_sun on 19 Dec 2007, 22:16.
Last edited by nick_sun on 20 Dec 2007, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nick_sun wrote:
notokung wrote:
I thought that all the transcripts are supposed to arrive soon after submitting the app. I sent mine right after I submited the app. I could be wrong but i think i saw the instruction once on the website.

UCLA's official guidelines for transcripts: :)

Quote:
Transcripts

This section is optional and is provided for your convenience.

You may upload a transcript for each school you listed as having attending in the previous section. Note that while we may use unofficial copies for evaluation, we cannot extend an offer of admission to you unless you have provided official transcripts. Please send official copies to the admissions office as soon as possible after submitting for application.

Please follow the instructions below to scan and upload a copy of your transcripts:
• Make a low-resolution photocopy of your transcripts (this will suppress the background which will help reduce the file size)
• Scan the photocopy (experiment with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size)
• Save the scanned object as a .jpg file
• Close the .jpg file
• Open Microsoft Word or similar word processing program
• Click on the Insert tab, and do Insert from file or picture
• Browse to your saved .jpg file
• Save your .jpg file as a .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, or .txt format. Note: For Macintosh users, please note that the filename must include the appropriate 3 letter extension.
• Do not attempt to upload a document that is password-protected or that contains macros. This will cause the process to fail.
• Check the size of your file before uploading. It cannot exceed 500kb

And what a hell does this admissions' point mean? -

Quote:
Please note that uploading digitized/scanned copies of your transcripts is recommended to expedite the processing of your application, but it is NOT required.
We cannot extend an offer of admission to you unless we have official copies of your transcripts. Therefore, we recommend that you submit official copies of your transcripts as soon as possible."

Shall we send it out right after application/ interview? Even if we are not sure that we are admitted? :shock:

so I supposed you only send the transcript after you get interview offer i supposed?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
BTW, has anyone heard of any admits announced by UCLA this week? Next week they go on break until after the New Years. Red_s4, anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys, is there any overview brochure for UCLA? Can't find at https://www.anderson.ucla.edu anything but Anderson Plan 2007-2010. Is there anything more down-to-earth? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
BTW, has anyone heard of any admits announced by UCLA this week? Next week they go on break until after the New Years. Red_s4, anyone?

No emails or phone calls from UCLA here. I was holding out hope and we still have 8 hours until they shut down for the holidays I guess, but I think we may all be hearing in January. Oh well...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
nick: UCLA has a pretty terrible website, unfortunately, for such a great school. There really isn't much online for you to find. The best brochure is probably their paper one, which is actually pretty well done!

red_s4: Yeah, 5 more hours to go... still holding out hope for that email (admit or ding, I'd rather know early to see if I need to apply to a few more schools in R2 over the break).

cross your fingers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well looks like Santa came early! When I got off the plane this afternoon, I had an acceptance email from UCLA! :-D Such a relief going into the holidays to have one admit under my belt. Did anybody else hear today??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS red_s4!!!

Yup, at 3:28pm, I got an email from UCLA with and ADMIT! Looks like we could be classmates sometime, or at least will meet at Days at Anderson!

Woohoo! this is the BEST Xmas gift ever! It still hasn't sunken in yet, but all of a sudden, all the "ifs" have become "whens" (instead of "if I go to B-school next year, I'll do this... )

Wow... this is such a strange feeling...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  36