Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [79]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [3]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [5]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink]
Kudos
Interesting thought kidderek - I'll redo this experiment with 1st 5 wrong to gauge the importance of those.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [3]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a believer that the first 10 aren't as heavily weighted as some people believe. I think the score decreases (and increases) will readjust by the number of questions the get get correct/incorrect in a row.

So will you get a higher score getting the first 3 right and missing the last 7 than if you miss the first 7 and get the next 30 right - I think so but that's because you don't get as many hard questions correct in a row.

The test becomes very complicated but makes sense that the algorithm will readjust your scores based based on serries of right and wrong answers. If the test "thinks" you are a 40q and it gives you a 42 level question it expects you miss it, if you do, and then miss a 40q it basically starts to revalute your score until it finds the range where you get questions right at and below but not above. If you miss the 40 it might give you another 40 or a 39 but if you miss that one it will start to make larger jumps basically giving you a question it knows you should get right if you then miss a 38 it will start with bigger jumps like 36, 32, 30 - this is why missing a lot of quesitons in a row kills you.

I'd be interested in seeing a test where you miss 10 questions 2-3 from the first 10 (non in a row) and then 6-7 from the rest of the questions with equal spacing between them. I'm sure this scoring algorithm is extremely hard to understand but I'm not sure you can "beat" it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent idea!!! I'm awaiting final results!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
It's all about difficulty level. If you get questions wrong in the beginning then your at a lower difficulty level so you are starting off at a disadvantage, you need to get back to those difficult questions and get them right, so maybe the questions towards the end are worth more since you will only have a limited number of difficult questions to answer and if you miss them towards the end your score will decrease signicantly more, but if you get them right the test will view the beginning as an anomoly

solution: get every question right and devote enough time within reason to answer the question. NEVER go over 4 minutes for a question, and only do a handful of questions (maybe 2-3 questions) ovre 3 minutes and maybe 5-6 between 2 and 3 minutes, since you can make up for it if you know you can answer questions in a minutes time. I do think it is worth it to spend 4 minutes on a hard question you know you can solve and just guess on the end. I guessed the last 3 questions in Q and got a 50.(educated 20 sec guesses)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
This type of analysis is priceless! bsd_lover, please keep up the testing. If you can post a detailed account of your methodology, others of us can also experiement and provide results to you in a sreadsheet, or screen shot of the right/wrong questions on the review page for the GMATPrep.

I agree with everyone here. The nature of the way CAT works is it's biggest vulnerability. A certain question at one point of the test IS weighted differently than the same question at another point in the test. For example, say Question A is a Level 45 question. It makes sense that this is so, because if you get Question A as the # 27 question once, it has 26 other questions to analyze with your response to that question vs. if you get Question A as the #2 question. Your correct answer to Question A at #2 should impress the CAT more than getting it right at #27, but again, much of how impressed the CAT is depends upon the level of questions received prior to getting Question A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
I had earlier told bsd reg my verbal exp and would like to share what i feel reg gprep after giving it 3-4 times...yes i agree in quants first ten questions are important...but also that one should not get say 4-5 answers consecutively wrong....i got 46 in quant with 14-15 questions wrong...yes...out of it,i got 7 correct in first ten....but then the questions i got wrong were never at a stretch 4plus or so...was always say 2 wrong one correct.....again wrong...5 correct...wud request others to observe too..after all we r helping each other...
Reg verbal,completely agree with bsd....sc however good u r,take that adv to give more to cr,rc...bsd,try this,get 10 out of 15 sc wrong but 80 % rc,cr cprrect specially Rc...may be jus one wrong....since u remember all the answers,try it and dude check your verbal score....i am sure 35 plus....keep updating... :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM