Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:

I do however know that the drinking culture at Dartmouth (Tuck very much included) is quite extreme :twisted:

The movie Animal House is based on the undergrad experiences of a Dartmouth fraternity member. So, if Tuck MBA students are anything close to similar I'd say you hit the drinking culture assessment dead on! :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
perfectexamscore wrote:
isn't new hampshire really cold in winter? what's there to do at Darthmouth?

Temp wise I would say its along the lines of Chicago, slightly colder than Boston. However, it is in the mountains so its snowy.

I was told everyone plays hockey...no joke, the majority of the students are on one of the hockey teams. Even people who have never skated before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
A lot of people seem to be saying that Tuck has really stellar consulting placements, but I was wondering if anyone knew how many people actually get into McKinsey, BCG, and Bain out of the ~70 or so who go into consulting. I think there was some info about this on BW forums, but the guy who posted it subsequently deleted all his comments, so I've lost the info.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
VictoryMBA wrote:
I also want to have some fun in bschool (single guy fun 8-) )
I do however know that the drinking culture at Dartmouth (Tuck very much included) is quite extreme :twisted:

I'm with you on that VictoryMBA, nothing wrong with wanting to have a bit of fun. Don't forget that there isn't much to do for the students in the Graduate Arts & Sciences school and the Medical School in Hanover either :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

I'm with you on that VictoryMBA, nothing wrong with wanting to have a bit of fun. Don't forget that there isn't much to do for the students in the Graduate Arts & Sciences school and the Medical School in Hanover either :-D

I've actually heard that there isn't a tremendous amount of interaction between the different graduate schools at Dartmouth. You will have some dual degree students enrolled at Tuck who can introduce you to their friends, but beyond that I don't think theres very many formal events.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
...but I'm a 25 year old single guy..I also want to have some fun in bschool (single guy fun 8-) )

hear ya loud & clear buddy...here's to both of us workin the dartmouth scene in '09 :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

I've actually heard that there isn't a tremendous amount of interaction between the different graduate schools at Dartmouth. You will have some dual degree students enrolled at Tuck who can introduce you to their friends, but beyond that I don't think theres very many formal events.

I'm sure it's not that hard to "interact" with students from the other grad programs. I mean you'll all be going to the same 3 bars on main street. I don't think there needs to be formal functions to meet people from the other programs. It's a really small town - there's not many people and there's not much to do. You could probably see a hot girl from arts and sciences one night, chicken out and not go up to her, then see her again a week later and get a second shot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am considering Tuck...

Any opinions on the usual type of candidates they tend to attract? A lot of IBers, or former consultants? Just wondering what the usual class make-up is like. As a career switcher with a pretty non-traditional background, I wonder how competitive I would be.

~Sam
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I am considering Tuck...

Any opinions on the usual type of candidates they tend to attract? A lot of IBers, or former consultants? Just wondering what the usual class make-up is like. As a career switcher with a pretty non-traditional background, I wonder how competitive I would be.

~Sam

I'd say its pretty diverse. IB and Consulting tend to be the most popular post-graduate careers, due to the structured recruiting process and the relative difficulty of getting smaller companies to come out to Hanover to recruit.

Tuck has a very close knit culture. More than anything, they are looking for people who get along well with others and fit into the school socially. It is difficult to offer seats to socially awkward people when your class is only 240, they are out in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire, and the class is very tight-knit/spends a lot of time with each other.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've also heard that Tuck students are very socially aware (which is awesome, my kind of crowd). The article I read ranked them in the top 3...

I know Yale was #1, and #2...was either Tuck or Haas.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
extra blank for some reason

Originally posted by isa on 18 Jul 2008, 16:15.
Last edited by isa on 18 Jul 2008, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Interesting QA with Dean Danos:

https://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2007/2/9/qa-with-tuck-dean-paul-danos.html

Interesting that he emphasizes the need to fit with their culture...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Interesting QA with Dean Danos:

https://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2007/2/9/qa-with-tuck-dean-paul-danos.html

Interesting that he emphasizes the need to fit with their culture...

It's especially important at the smaller schools. An outlier could get lost in the crowd and do his/her own thing at a school like Wharton or Columbia, but they will stick out like a sore thumb at Tuck.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Here's a bullet point that I did research on earlier today. I had an impression in my mind that Tuck is a very North East / New England focused school and that most of the alumni/students are from there/end up there when they graduate. I found that only 50% of Tuck's graduates end up in New England or the NYC area upon graduation, and the rest are spread out throughout the country and the world. I plan to return to California when I graduate, so the West Coast %s were something that I paid attention to personally.

Tuck's class last year was 54% in the North East, 13% on the West Coast
HBS' class last year was 43% in the North East, 15% on the West Coast
Wharton's class last year was 47% in the North East, 16% on the West Coast
Chicago GSB's class last year was 31% in the North East, 30% in the Midwest, and 11.5% on the West Coast

Chicago's statistic really stuck out to me. I would have figured that Chicago has a stronger hold on the West Coast than Tuck does. I suppose that in sheer numbers - they do, but % wise, they are very similar.

I am convinced that Tuck can place you anywhere in the world - you will just have to work for it and you will have to make the effort to get outside of Hanover more frequently than others.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
You're probably right terp06 - 43% of the class was already resident in NYC or New England prior to matriculation, so maybe the NYC/New England placement numbers are skewed even further by that fact. I have no doubt Tuck places extremely well on the West Coast as well.

And btw I just also noticed that average GMAT for the Class of '09 was 713, up 3 points from '08. I think there's certainly some truth to 720 being the new 700.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
You're probably right terp06 - 43% of the class was already resident in NYC or New England prior to matriculation, so maybe the NYC/New England placement numbers are skewed even further by that fact. I have no doubt Tuck places extremely well on the West Coast as well.

And btw I just also noticed that average GMAT for the Class of '09 was 713, up 3 points from '08. I think there's certainly some truth to 720 being the new 700.

I noticed that also, however do not take it the wrong way - I do not believe that Tuck is obsessive about the GMAT. They are looking for team players and the right fit first and foremost. You can have a 790, but if you don't like Hanover and don't like the Tuck culture - you're not going to get in.
Current Student
Send PM
So how are you all indicating that you'd be a good fit for their culture? like terp pointed out, it seems to matter quite a bit more at the smaller schools - heck this is even true for some extent for getting hired at certain companies that have a strong corporate culture!

I know I'm planning a trip to Hanover in the early fall, also to some Tuck-on-the-road type events, etc to get some additional insight into their student body and then hope to tie that in to my essays. Unfortunately, I don't know any current Tuck students or alums so I'm going to have rely pretty heavily on those types of organized events...

cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37