Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Spring 2009 [#permalink]
GMATaGoGo wrote:
just got dinged. now debating whether or not I should retake the GMAT...Should I try to improve upon a 660? Any advice would be appreciated.

What's the world coming to if one can't get into PART TIME Stern MBA program with 660 GMAT????
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Is that suppose to be sarcasm? :roll:
The problem is that adcom doesn't give you any feedback on your application. So as far as areas to improve for when I re-apply, the only thing I can come up with is the GMAT. What do you guys think?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
GMATaGoGo wrote:
Is that suppose to be sarcasm? :roll:
The problem is that adcom doesn't give you any feedback on your application. So as far as areas to improve for when I re-apply, the only thing I can come up with is the GMAT. What do you guys think?

No sarcasm. Just really wondering who gets into Stern Part Time if one can't get in with 660 GMAT. (I am Stern B.S. Class of 05 btw)

What are your stats? Maybe there's something else besides GMAT score that you need to enhance?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
I'm Chinese American
26 yrs old
3-4 yrs on trading desk as a Trading Assistant
Gmat: 660, Quant 44, Verbal 38
BS degree, 3.6 GPA
2 Good Recommendations
No Interview for Part-time...at least I don't think they do
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
GMATaGoGo wrote:
I'm Chinese American
26 yrs old
3-4 yrs on trading desk as a Trading Assistant
Gmat: 660, Quant 44, Verbal 38
BS degree, 3.6 GPA
2 Good Recommendations
No Interview for Part-time...at least I don't think they do

Your GMAT is within their 660

GPA is excellent (unless they care about undergrad reputation...which I don't think should be an issue)

2 things that came up right away:

1) When did you submit your app? Closer to deadline, you are at disadvantage due to high volume this year.
2) Do you think your essays were good? did you make sure to state clear career goals and plans and how Stern MBA would do that?

Many Adcom interviews state that this year, competition is fierce and whether it is Ft or PT, they want you to apply earlier. Did you have a backup school this year or are you going to reapply for Fall 2009?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
I submitted my application way ahead of the deadline. Like 1 week before.
I thought my essays were good. As good as they can be since it's basically only limited to 1 page. And I had a professional writer take a look at it.
In my essays, I said something along the lines of Stern is a great school that will help me further my goals and ambitions..
No backup. Stern is the only school I want to get my MBA from. I am definitely planning on re-applying for the Fall 09. The question is now how can I improve my application...
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
my mistake. I mean to say 3.4 gpa
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
GMATaGoGo wrote:
I submitted my application way ahead of the deadline. Like 1 week before.
I thought my essays were good. As good as they can be since it's basically only limited to 1 page. And I had a professional writer take a look at it.
In my essays, I said something along the lines of Stern is a great school that will help me further my goals and ambitions..
No backup. Stern is the only school I want to get my MBA from. I am definitely planning on re-applying for the Fall 09. The question is now how can I improve my application...

Maybe it really is the deadline issue. One week before deadline isn't really considered beating the deadline. People who submitted much sooner (think when Spring 09 Application became available) get their application reviewed sooner and then gets a slot earlier. This is especially so for PT programs.

My advice is remember, this is going to be tough application year. If you really think you can improve your GMAT score, why not take a shot. Also, monitor when Fall 2009 application becomes available. Be ready to apply again as soon as the application becomes available for their PT program. (Not sure when that is. I already submitted FT Fall 2009 Stern application back in October)

Also, ask people (who got accepted to STERN) about their application essays and compare it to how you wrote yours.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anybody knows why there is no activity today? I was under impression that a final decision or waitlist decision will be posted today 12/1, but I didn't see anything. No news is a bad news?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Ok, just so we're on the topic. Are there any re-applicants here who got accepted? How have you improved your application? And what other advice would you offer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
12/1 is the decision deadline (accept, waitlist, deny) if all materials were submitted by 9/15. If your app was incomplete on 9/15, I think they can notify you anytime after 12/1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
DB: 276 as pf 11:25 am 12/2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Maybe it really is the deadline issue. One week before deadline isn't really considered beating the deadline. People who submitted much sooner (think when Spring 09 Application became available) get their application reviewed sooner and then gets a slot earlier. This is especially so for PT programs.

Just for everyone’s info, the benefits of sending in applications early do not really apply to this program. For Langone, they do not review apps until AFTER the deadline; there is no chance for early review (they do not appear to review them in order, either.)

You can get into Langone with a 660 gmat, but it is not a particularly strong gmat score for this program. A 690 - 700+ gmat is strong. From what I’ve seen, if you do not have a strong gmat, or you do not fit into an unusual group (for instance, you’re in non-profit broadcasting or something), then you’ll need a strong professional background or really interesting extracurricular activities to get you in. For instance, you’ve made director at a prestigious firm at 28, or you’re a kung fu black belt and won a few prestigious tournaments…

From what I’ve seen, NYU places importance in this order: GMAT, Career Progression, Quality of Person, and lastly, Undergrad.
Furthermore, you’re compared with those that are like you. If you’re an finance guy with an Asian background, you will be competing with all other Asian finance guys for the spots that they allocated for that group. Some groups (Male Indian Techies, for instance) have a really high bar.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Thank you Tenore. I appreciate your feedback. I'm definitely going to re-apply again, hopefully with an improve application. Goodluck to everyone else here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
young_gun wrote:
guys i have a few questions about the nyu PT program...
do graduates of the PT program have the same MBA degree as nyu FT students? or does it say NYU Part-time MBA...
for example what would one put on his resume?
also, generally how do career switchers fare going into the PT program? does anyone have any research, links, or opinions they can share? My employer will pay for the nyu pt program...but since i am a career switcher, i'm trying to think of what's best for me.

I’ll share some of what I know and give you a little bit of my own story, maybe it will help…

Langone stresses career progression in their application progress. Most people who get in are extremely successful in their field and have promising careers. They expect that the MBA will propel them to the next level (for instance, the talented manager who wants to make director.) That’s the service Langone is providing for your 100 grand.

On the other hand, traditional on campus MBA Recruiters look for younger, entry level people who have a lot of flexibility (to travel, work slavish hours, etc...) Full time students tend to fit this mold far better than part timers. The commitments to our jobs and lives that caused us to be part-timers in the first place work against us in the traditional MBA recruiting process.

So try this… draw up your resume and, in the education section, put in an NYU – Stern MBA. Does your resume look like one that would open the door to the job you’re hoping for?

This little exercise led me to a lot of soul searching. I ended up forgoing my employer’s offer to pay for my MBA and I’m now nearing the completion of a switch to a new company that wants me in a far more elevated role. Financially, it ends up being a bit of a loss for me (I gain in salary but lose ~$35K+ a year in tuition reimbursement), but it will put my career on a far better track and should pay off handsomely in 2 years or so…

So the lesson I learned is that the MBA can be a powerful tool, but it won’t do all the work…

Oh... and it's the same MBA, same teachers, same building, same clubs...
BUT, you will not have access to on campus MBA recruiting... thats the key difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you go about finding a new employer?

The reason that I ask is that I am planning on attending the NYU Langone program this spring. However, over the past couple of months it has become increasingly clear to me that I may not have a job in the next 6 months given the financial difficulties that my company is having. Will NYU Langone provide any services to help me find a new job or am I pretty much on my own?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Send PM
great post tenore, +1
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10