Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Random Q, so the AdCom I interviewed with sent me a follow up email after my acceptance to congratulate me and also talking about how I would really enjoy the school. I feel I owe some type of response, but hey I won't lie I definitely want to see what is up with my other applications and so forth before making a decision (like any rational thinker, right?). Any suggestions as to how I can write something that is respectful but not misleading (aka it was great to meet with you as well, cant wait to start!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Random Q, so the AdCom I interviewed with sent me a follow up email after my acceptance to congratulate me and also talking about how I would really enjoy the school. I feel I owe some type of response, but hey I won't lie I definitely want to see what is up with my other applications and so forth before making a decision (like any rational thinker, right?). Any suggestions as to how I can write something that is respectful but not misleading (aka it was great to meet with you as well, cant wait to start!)

Do you want to tell them you have other options? If so, a nicer version of..."thanks much. I'm pretty excited to have gotten in. Team Fuqua (or whatever trait they mentioned) is definitely a huge bonus of Duke and one I'll incorporate into my decision process. Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:

I replied to my alum interviewer's congratulatory email with a message about how excited I was and that I'm already making plans to attend Blue Devil Weekend in April. So if you are planning on going to the BDW, then such a response would be honest (and noncommittal).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."

I think he should probably drop the "xo" part!! :wink:

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Send PM
A question for those already admitted. I did my duke interview before I start writing my essays. Now that when I am writing those essays, I realize that I did kinda of poorly during the interview. I want to change some of the answers. I understand that the interview is more of checking the consistency. But can I still change my answers in the essay to improve that? For example, when they asked me about contribution in the interview, I only answered one. But now that I realize I have a lot more I can contribute and the one I answered in the interview is kind of weak answer. Can I write my essay on other contributions I plan to bring?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
working on my essays now finding the LOC essay to be difficult. Any other debreifs on the interview?
SP
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
eileen1017 wrote:
A question for those already admitted. I did my duke interview before I start writing my essays. Now that when I am writing those essays, I realize that I did kinda of poorly during the interview. I want to change some of the answers. I understand that the interview is more of checking the consistency. But can I still change my answers in the essay to improve that? For example, when they asked me about contribution in the interview, I only answered one. But now that I realize I have a lot more I can contribute and the one I answered in the interview is kind of weak answer. Can I write my essay on other contributions I plan to bring?

Of course! The interview is not an all-encompassing summary of you as a candidate. The smartest thing to do would be to not repeat what you said in your interview, in your essays. That way, you can include stuff you didn't have room to include in your essays.

The only thing I would be worried about is contradicting yourself in your essays. You don't want to say "One contribution will be my knowledge of the semi-conductor market" during your interview, then state in your essays "I hope to strengthen one of my weaknesses: my knowledge of the semi-conductor market."

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
Have a great holiday, xo, bostonsparky."

I think he should probably drop the "xo" part!! :wink:

RF

LOL. That would be pretty funny if he actually wrote that though... :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, CSR
Schools:Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Any Round 1 admits hear back about merit scholarships?

I'm a fellow admit anxiously awaiting my admissions package.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Yep. There was a letter in the admit package I got in the mail with a merit scholarship offer. I sorta get the impression that they spread around a lot of merit money... is that right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
Yep. There was a letter in the admit package I got in the mail with a merit scholarship offer. I sorta get the impression that they spread around a lot of merit money... is that right?

When did you get your package? I have not yet received mine....

Did they send you a tracking number or anything?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
No, no notice at all. But keep in mind I live about 10 minutes away from the Duke campus, which is probably why I got my package so quickly.

Also, FYI, Blue Devil Weekend ends just a few days before you have to decide to accept/decline the scholarship and/or admit offer.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I received mine as well, on the 23rd?
Received a merit scholarship, nothing spectacular though :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:

You are gonna have to post "JLola21's Guide to Getting Admits and Scholarship $ friom Every Single School Applied" soon........it will become a sticky, I am sure. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, CSR
Schools:Duke, Michigan, Yale, Georgetown, Kellogg, Wharton
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Just got mine this morning. 8k/ yr. Like Ntang mentioned, it definitely seems like they try to spread the wealth around.

I had another question/thought for everyone out there about scholarships. Does Duke revisit award amounts later in the process. A lot of the people getting money there also have admits to higher ranked schools (Tuck, Kellogg, Booth, etc). Given Duke's relatively low historical yield it certainly seems possible that a number of these folks will opt to forgo the scholarship at Duke to attend the higher ranked program. In that case, do you think Duke ends up redistributing the dollars?

I was just curious to see if anyone had any insight into the process.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
blake5790 wrote:
Given Duke's relatively low historical yield it certainly seems possible that a number of these folks will opt to forgo the scholarship at Duke to attend the higher ranked program. In that case, do you think Duke ends up redistributing the dollars?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess in distributing money, they distribute more than they plan to fulfill because they know that many students will decline the offer for a higher ranked school. Just like the admissions process, if the class is 500 people, they admit 1,000 with the knowledge that 500 will go elsewhere.

Nothing to back that up, just how I think it makes the most sense.

~Sam
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ninkorn wrote:
jlola21 wrote:

You are gonna have to post "JLola21's Guide to Getting Admits and Scholarship $ friom Every Single School Applied" soon........it will become a sticky, I am sure. :-D

Hah yea right! I am foreseeing a stream of dings coming my way.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  50