Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 07:38 It is currently 04 May 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73011 [1]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Help on 500 to 700 how [#permalink]
Kudos
Forrester,

I was in a similar bind. I would study study study study, and then not see any improvement. I did the following to resolve it:

Figure out WHY you're getting problems wrong. Chances are there is a flaw in your approach.
Don't jump around on topics on different days. Focus on one subject until you resolve the issue. That being said, there is a fine line between benefiting from studying and just stressing out. Sometimes it will be beneficial to take a break from one subject and work on something else (or take a break), but you really need to buckle down and focus on your weaknesses.

With your quant score that low, you should address how you set up the problems. Regardless of the type of quant problem, there should always be a setup phase to the problem (both mentally and on your GMAT provided pad/pen). Setting up the problem is THE most important factor in ensuring you finish the problem within a reasonable time frame and ensuring you are on the right path for the right answer. It doesn't matter what type of problem it is, the set up is key every time.

Verbal is a bit different, as the different structure of the problems can require various different approach methods (again, that's how I looked at it).

Have you taken the free MGMAT practice exam (or have you purchased the practice exam package from MGMAT)?

If not, before you go on, I suggest you take the free online MGMAT practice test. The results of the test show you the type of problem, the difficulty, and MGMAT's approach to the problem. This will provide you with a good "game plan" (i.e. what topics you need to spend the time on).

Hope this helps.

-Muhamad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks mate,

I see what you mean. Perhaps I might be doing something wrong in the set-up phase of the problem, will try and tweak my intial attempt at questions, and will take the MGMAT tests, to see if they can point weakness. Might need to get more study material as I dont all the questions so many times, that answers without solving seem obivious a lot of the times.. a Bit annoying.

As given the hours I have put in, surely somethings got to give. 3+ hours a day after work and then 16hours in the weekend, and little improvement in scores, is heartbreaking...

Forrester
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Forrester300 wrote:
Thanks mate,

I see what you mean. Perhaps I might be doing something wrong in the set-up phase of the problem, will try and tweak my intial attempt at questions, and will take the MGMAT tests, to see if they can point weakness. Might need to get more study material as I dont all the questions so many times, that answers without solving seem obivious a lot of the times.. a Bit annoying.

As given the hours I have put in, surely somethings got to give. 3+ hours a day after work and then 16hours in the weekend, and little improvement in scores, is heartbreaking...

Forrester

That's one of the reasons I really like the MGMAT practice exams. You walk away with the following for each question:

Subject/Question Type
Difficulty
Approach and solution.

Granted, I didn't find ALL the MGMAT strategies useful, BUT, the ones I did find useful enabled me to break the 700 mark.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Mate,

Are you able to recommend a study plan? Like what sort of plan did you use in order to get the 700, questions per day? As I believe I must have a rustic system that doesnt work. Like do you alternate between Maths/Verbal component, or do you try to cover all the in a day everyday?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Forrester300 wrote:
Thanks Mate,

Are you able to recommend a study plan? Like what sort of plan did you use in order to get the 700, questions per day? As I believe I must have a rustic system that doesnt work. Like do you alternate between Maths/Verbal component, or do you try to cover all the in a day everyday?

SC was one of my big struggles (primary struggle on verbal and overall). This was the game plan that worked for me:

need-help-on-strategy-from-gurus-80206.html?view-post=602766#p602766

mohater wrote:
Your prep materials appear sufficient to tackle your goal.

I had the same problem with verbal (SC). I did the following after completing the Manhattan GMAT SC book:

1. Using the Official Verbal Guide (GMAC), I split the SC questions into blocks of 10, and went through as many blocks in a given day as time would allow (budgeting the 2 min/question).

2. When guessing on a problem, I would mark that problem.

3. When grading the completed blocks for the day, I would mark the ones I got wrong (different marking from the guessing). I would NOT mark the correct answer.

4. After completing the entire set, I didn't study SC the following day. The day after, I would go through the ones I missed and the ones I guessed on (using a new sheet of paper).

5. After completing those in one sitting, I would then review and figure out why my approach was wrong.

I felt this method helped me a LOT. I could not break 700 for the life of me, due to verbal (most notably SC). I was scoring in the upper 40s in quant, no issues there.

After figuring out why my approach was wrong on the more difficult SC questions, I was in a better position to score higher on the verbal section overall. I found certain strategies for SC (split/re-split) could not be used on all questions, thus I had to have more than one approach to the problem.

Note: I REALLY had to learn the material to effectively apply the strategies. Other GMAT prep books/programs might tell you to "listen and answer with your ear". If you're like me and think the same way you speak, that approach will lead you to wrong answers more often than right answers. Focusing on the material (tense, pronouns, agreement in #, etc.) is key.

Hopefully this helps.

-Muhamad

My main issue with quant was needing a refresher. Just had to memorize the info on polygons, triangles, 3d shapes, number properties, probability, etc.. General rules for perimeter, area, surface area, volume, circumference, etc.. Once I rehashed on the basics, I began to score much higher on the advanced problems. The key with quant is being able to set up the problem to solve (knowing what question to answer).

The overall game plan: rehash on the basics, then take a practice. Use the practice exam results to establish a game plan for studying (what are my weaknesses). Focus on the weaknesses, and then take another practice when I felt like I've improved. I did NOT move on from one subject to another subject until I addressed the deficiency (there is, however, a limit. Sometimes you need a break from one topic).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Mate,

I will use your tips, so will do the following:
- re-learn the basics for Quant & Verbal this week, will go through the books I have to attempt as many questions.
- Then we sit a MGMAT exam, to see where Im weak,
- Then we focus on those problem areas.

Tips on error logs? I know there's been a lot of discussion in GMAT forum on them, but I think my error log might be wrong or perhaps not keeping it properly.
- For example if Quant I was going to do Number Properties to Geo today, all the questions I get wrong on both in Promblem Solving & Data Sufficiency, by topic I would jot down.
- Then the following day, I go through the questions the one's I got wrong again?
- Any advise on best way to approach error log?

Also, when Im doing quant I know I burn out after doing it for 3 days in a row, as mind gets overwhelmed by just doing questions for 3 days so tend to switch to verbal after that.

So your saying after my exam, If for example it said that Im weak on Geo, I should focus solely on Geo questions? As OG & even Quant books only have so many Geo questions in it? Where do I go to get the extra questions?

Thanks again, you have been superb in helping me fine tune my next attempt for GMAT.

Forrester
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
The main key with wrong answers/error logs is figure out why you got the problem wrong.

Following your example:

If you got a lot of Geo problems wrong, figure out WHY you got them wrong. Simply doing more problems will not address WHY you're missing problems. No matter what, you NEED to invest the time to ensure you understand the material. The material is what gets you in the 600+ range. If you're a high performer to begin with, breaking 700 isn't always tough. For the rest of us, the strategies supplement the material and will assist you in getting more of the 700-800 problems correct, thus getting you past the 700 mark.

You'll burn out on a topic either way: Doing too many problems or doing too much material review. That's why I broke my SC problems into sets of 10.

I really like the OG Guide, Offical Verbal Guide and Official Quant guide for problem banks.

MGMAT has flash cards you can print out for free. It's a bit of a pain to print, cut, and fold all of them but it was worth it

https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-flashcards.cfm

The GMAT Club question banks are also very useful (read the testomonials by the people here for feedback)

Jeff Sackmann(whom I've personally met), used to offer free challenge questions online. He still has some posted with solutions (he stopped posting free stuff a while ago):
https://groups.google.com/group/gmatdaily

His question banks and guides are useful (but a bit pricey)
https://www.gmathacks.com

What worked for me:

#1: Strong foundation in material. No way around this
#2: Figure out which strategies best supplement your foundation. Use these strategies to stick to the average of 2 min/problem and eliminating options you're sure are incorrect (improve guessing).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37365 posts