Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Accounting
Schools:Oxford MFE (Accepted & Attending), Columbia ED (rejected), Chicago (Round 1, 2, 3 waitlist --> Rejected), Toronto (Accepted)
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink]
pleonasm wrote:
dan2012 wrote:
Hi everybody,
Quick question... Essay 2 has a recommended 500 word limit, and I'm having a tough time condensing mine below 550 words. How much flexibility do you think there is on the recommended 500 word limit?

Thanks!
Dan

I was told by a M7 grad to keep the word limit below 10% of the stated limit. So if the stated limit is 500 words it's wise to limit the essay to 470-480 words. No one will count the words but the admission guys will get a general feel for the essay limit just by glancing through the document. I think you are fine with 550 ..though try your best to limit it to 500.

Hey,

Thanks for the tip, I agree with that thought!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
I have stuck to 10% rule. I think you will be fine too with 550. Only LBS asks to write the # of words in the essay.

My app went under review yesterday, :pray

dan2012 wrote:
pleonasm wrote:
dan2012 wrote:
Hi everybody,
Quick question... Essay 2 has a recommended 500 word limit, and I'm having a tough time condensing mine below 550 words. How much flexibility do you think there is on the recommended 500 word limit?

Thanks!
Dan

I was told by a M7 grad to keep the word limit below 10% of the stated limit. So if the stated limit is 500 words it's wise to limit the essay to 470-480 words. No one will count the words but the admission guys will get a general feel for the essay limit just by glancing through the document. I think you are fine with 550 ..though try your best to limit it to 500.

Hey,

Thanks for the tip, I agree with that thought!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
wow Praz, you started really early this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Damn it took me 2 days just to prepare the first draft of the goals essay ... oh man this is going to take a LOT of time.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Accounting
Schools:Oxford MFE (Accepted & Attending), Columbia ED (rejected), Chicago (Round 1, 2, 3 waitlist --> Rejected), Toronto (Accepted)
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Hi Everybody,

This is just a general question about Essay 3. What exactly did you discuss after you described situation and how the team failed? There seems to be many options:

1) What you would change given a second chance (ie. just list a bunch of improvements without really explaining any of them);
2) A single thing you would change and a detailed description of why it was absent/failed in the first attempt, and the effect it would have if included/done correctly;
3) Anything in between (ie. including what you learned, the moral of the failure, etc)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This depends on your discussion of failure. When I wrote this last yr, my failure was focusing on one specific misaligned objective for the organization. So I focused on (2) option.

@gobruins- yeah, well I wanted to submit even before deadline started.... Good luck with the reapps, hope we have the last laugh this time around!

dan2012 wrote:
Hi Everybody,

This is just a general question about Essay 3. What exactly did you discuss after you described situation and how the team failed? There seems to be many options:

1) What you would change given a second chance (ie. just list a bunch of improvements without really explaining any of them);
2) A single thing you would change and a detailed description of why it was absent/failed in the first attempt, and the effect it would have if included/done correctly;
3) Anything in between (ie. including what you learned, the moral of the failure, etc)

Current Student
Send PM
dan2012 wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I think the best way to present it is:

- One long story, describing the circumstances behind the failure, what failed, and why. What your part was in this.
- What you've done after this to show proactive change. i.e. "I am now more in tune to x and this has resulted in y and z". This should not be a full blown second story, but rather a good conclusion of 3-5 sentences.

It is very important to showcase a team failure, but also take responsibility for it and show what you could do to change it. If it's a team failure that is/was completely out of your control, this won't be very effective. The best stories on this essay will double as great leadership stories that show self-awareness.
Current Student
Send PM
I expect an xlick interview invite by the end of next week :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Applying in RD but am a international applicant, so the deadline starts only in Jan '10.
Columbia will probably be one of the last apps I submit. But count me in for sure!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Applying at the very end may not be a very good idea. CBS is rolling admissions, so it makes sense for you to get in your app as early as possible w/o compromising quality. Also, make sure the recos are in before you submit the app, as CBS prefers it that way. Good luck.
Current Student
Send PM
praz wrote:
Applying at the very end may not be a very good idea. CBS is rolling admissions, so it makes sense for you to get in your app as early as possible w/o compromising quality. Also, make sure the recos are in before you submit the app, as CBS prefers it that way. Good luck.

Agreed. CBS gets a flood of applications in January and they are reviewed in the order they are received. If you can submit a RD application in October or November, you will be much better off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
The Columbia GSb homepage mentions Jan 6th, 2010 as the start date for International Applications Review.

Is it ok if I send in my app anytime before the App review process start date?
Columbia is one of my top choices and I would definitely try and send in my app a month earlier
if it would increase the chances of my admission.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: IT Strategy
Schools:Columbia and Harvard
 Q48  V41
Send PM
With regard to R1 deadlines this is what I've heard: Because of how actively Columbia uses their waitlist, you're really not at a disadvantage to wait until that January 6th deadline to submit your application. They do process applications in the order they're received but the majority of the slots will still be available at that time because someone with a lesser profile is not going to beat you out simply because they applied earlier - they'd end up on the waitlist. In that way, if your application was better, you'd get admitted even though yours came in after. If someone has a better profile than you, they'll get in no matter what. Submitting AFTER January 6th does put you at a disadvantage, however, because every day they are accepting students so fewer slots will be available.

I think ED is different than regular round in this regard though since the class is still wide open throughout that timeframe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Couldn't have said it better Audrey : ).
Is anyone else going to the Columbia "Why MBA?" Panel tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I have stuck with extracurricular activities section of application

what do you write there, guys?

Iam an international applicant, different clubs and organizations are not so popular in my country (russia).
Can I put just my interest there? Like tennis... I don't know what.
Moreover, I am not a professional sports or smth.

Another thing is this employment history you have to fill apart from uploading your resume.
Are duties and responsibilities the same as your achievements at a particular workplace? I mean can I list in duties and responsibilities the projects I took part in? I worked in Sales so all my duties can be described in 3 words, which is definitely not enough for that box. How did you handle this?

Thanks for help :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Count me in for ED.

Good luck everyone!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
in for RD (round 2 i suppose).. good luck to everyone else (especially all you ED guys /gals!)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  83