Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:MIT Sloan, LBS, INSEAD
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72902 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+ [#permalink]
Great post... I am thinking of retaking the exam. I only got 570 the first time I wrote but this time I am really serious in crossing the 700 mark.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Hi BB,

Great post. Does anybody have any statistics of people who followed this approach about their success?

Jochen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: IT
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Great post,
I shared my experienc on experince phorum and my case is little confusing. I planning to retake and improve on my latest 640 but I am very inconistent on my errors and thus don't know where to concentrate.
Did you come across this kind o situation?
Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mchhokar wrote:
Great post,
I shared my experienc on experince phorum and my case is little confusing. I planning to retake and improve on my latest 640 but I am very inconistent on my errors and thus don't know where to concentrate.
Did you come across this kind o situation?
Thanks.

Yes. Also take a look at the GMAT Retake thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

It is tough to improve if you don't have a clear enemy - most often people lack a solid base (moving too fast through books, etc). One way to stumble on those topics that you have missed is to do hundreds or thoudands of practice questions. However, an easier approach may be to review the books you have used or possibly get a different set: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mchhokar wrote:
Thank you BB.

Looking at your profile - you only need to focus on verbal (just maintain quant), so that's easier. Consider spending 1 but not more than 2 months on verbal (otherwise quant will go down) and really work on it: (get SC, CR, and RC books, start reading more (gmat fiction), and do a deep dive). Need to give it 100 percent and set yourself up right. Then if you go through the process and after a month or so, you are still not improving (most unlikely), then you will still feel as a free proud man/woman as you would have done everything in your power and there was not a single thing you could have done to help and whatever result you got - you were proud of it. A feeling of freedom regardless of result :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: IT
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Thanks once again. I am gonna give the test once again in mid December and considering joining Knewton. They have 50 point increase program which can help me.
Manish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I spend a month reading some forum subjects and I must admit that your contributions are awesome bb. I would like to ask you some questions.

In fact, I was supposed to take the GMAT the December 10th. However, I feel that I won't be able to reach the 7xx score I need. My Gmat Prep scores are around 650. My score in math is around 46-47 and around 32-33 in verbal.

Do you think 3 weeks and half will be enought to reach my target score ? I need to increase my math score from 46-47 to 48-49 and to increase my verbal score from 32-33 to 36-37.

After reading your post, I plan to buy the GMAT club math challenge and all the Man.Gmat Verbal books. But, I think I will need to reschedule my test because it will be too short. Unfortunately, this means reschedule my b-school application for 1 year.

Thank for your help. :-D
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
nesta wrote:
I spend a month reading some forum subjects and I must admit that your contributions are awesome bb. I would like to ask you some questions.

In fact, I was supposed to take the GMAT the December 10th. However, I feel that I won't be able to reach the 7xx score I need. My Gmat Prep scores are around 650. My score in math is around 46-47 and around 32-33 in verbal.

Do you think 3 weeks and half will be enought to reach my target score ? I need to increase my math score from 46-47 to 48-49 and to increase my verbal score from 32-33 to 36-37.

After reading your post, I plan to buy the GMAT club math challenge and all the Man.Gmat Verbal books. But, I think I will need to reschedule my test because it will be too short. Unfortunately, this means reschedule my b-school application for 1 year.

Thank for your help. :-D

3 weeks is tough to go through all of those materials. Possibly, but you will need at least another week or two to tie up and take full length tests.
Usually as long as you take the GMAT before the deadline (even if the scores are not in yet), you can submit your application and it will be reviewed (this is based on what Shadowsjc reported).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I feel like I have a lot of trouble doing the CR problems in 1:30 because there are a lot of questions that take a while just to read. Then you need a good 45 seconds just to read through the answers and think about it. I usually end up at the 2min mark for that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All- I recently completed the GMAT with a disappointing 640 and want to re-take the test. I had issues both with math and verbal. Specifically with Math- number properties, data sufficieny (Is p>q type questions in DS), word problems (silly mistakes mostly) and time!
With Verbal- I often found myself short of time. Analytical- I would boil it down to 2 choices and get stuck. With RC- its the regular complaint of just not having enough speed to read and understand, and with senetence correction: I got tripped up by 3 questions which asked me about usage of : ; and - in sentences. In general I should improve the speed on sentence correction to give time for RC and Analytical.
Books I have used first time round: OG 12th edition, Princeton review and MGMAT for SC only.

Can you guys suggest how I can plan my study next time round and books you would recommend to fix my above weeknesses? Your replies are greatly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kasi5, how did you do on the GMATprep test prior to the exam?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
burnttwinky,
You bring up a good point.I was getting anywhere between 650-720 on my tests but here is tye catch. The ones i got high, I found that I had already done the OG questions and when I took the GMAT Prep test, some of them were repeats and so may havegiven me a false indication. This is one of the reasons I want to have a good study plan this time and why I gave the list of books I have already used. My weak points remain the ones I said in my previous email. Any thoughts on a study plan and book recommendations? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am trying to figure out a good CR source as well. I have exhausted the OG #12 questions and the verbal guide. I am trying to do as many difficult questions as I can find since that is what I will mainly be seeing on the GMAT. For SC, manhattan GMAT is money, as most people are already aware, but I am still trying to find the most accurate CR source for the GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Just one suggestion!
pay for "The Economist" subscription, get the audio edition free
i am already into 2nd Qtr running .Hope, I improve my speed:lol:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitya34 wrote:
Just one suggestion!
pay for "The Economist" subscription, get the audio edition free
i am already into 2nd Qtr running .Hope, I improve my speed:lol:

Thanks! Why audio? Is it for TOEFL or do you feel that you get exposed to native speech/language a lot more this way than reading?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
BB
No. I mean for GMAT takers

Sometimes boring topics(in print) become juicy if the audio version is with us
Economist does the same for the subscriber
Releases the audio edition every thursday/ friday just before their print edition
and its word by word :)

I will recommend the "Business, economy, Science & tech and the opinion/editorial part"

the special reports are also amazingly good even for the MBA interview, later on
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I like that. I might end up trying that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8