Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 17:31 It is currently 08 May 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink]
The majority of my team knows. I told my management almost two years ago this was my intention (a tad risky, but it's paid off). I've been asking others on my team about their experiences with their respective schools so word started to travel pretty quick. They're already interviewing for current MBAs to replace me in the summer (which will SUCK if I don't get in anywhere, but I'm refusing to accept that as even a possibility).

My intention is to leave in June. Whether it's the end of June or beginning of June will depend on where I go. The goal is to give myself two months off to clear my head and get ready for the two year marathon of b-school!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
For those with hopes of returning full-time...

Does your employer know you're applying?

If admitted, when do you plan on sharing this?

When would you want to leave? (i.e. how much time off do you want before classes commence?)

I applied two years in a row. As soon as I announced the first year, it kind of killed my promotional/development path, but they have been very nice and accomodating with rec letters and everything else.

They are already recruiting my replacement and I will be training them from January - April, I plan to leave in May. I still haven't announced my admit, but I will do so in the first week of January (it's been the plan all along). Announcing my admit in October would have been way too early, in my opinion.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I told my partner and my direct manager because I was asking for LoRs from them. My partner proceeded to announce it to everyone in the group (despite my request not to). What happened after that was that the only projects I got were the ones that no one else wanted, and there wasn't enough of that to sustain me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
My boss thought I was going part time. I never corrected him until it came time to quit.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I have a few friends that know, and one manager who wrote me a LOR. All of them agreed to keep quiet.

I'm not sure when I would share anything if I am admitted somewhere. Work has not been too great the past year. I've never really enjoyed what I do, and I wasn't able to keep up the fake enthusiasm I had in the first few years. Adding onto that, all of the stuff I had to do for this (GMAT, apps, interviews, LSAT, etc.) has forced me to not work as many hours per week as they'd like.

Ideally, I could tell them immediately, and they agree to let me stay on until mid-June or so. Pressure would be relieved as far as expectations go. The downside is that I think there's a decent chance they could decide to keep me on just long enough to transition everything I have to others, and it's now February or March, and I have an empty calendar until summer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
I have a few friends that know, and one manager who wrote me a LOR. All of them agreed to keep quiet.

I'm not sure when I would share anything if I am admitted somewhere. Work has not been too great the past year. I've never really enjoyed what I do, and I wasn't able to keep up the fake enthusiasm I had in the first few years. Adding onto that, all of the stuff I had to do for this (GMAT, apps, interviews, LSAT, etc.) has forced me to not work as many hours per week as they'd like.

Ideally, I could tell them immediately, and they agree to let me stay on until mid-June or so. Pressure would be relieved as far as expectations go. The downside is that I think there's a decent chance they could decide to keep me on just long enough to transition everything I have to others, and it's now February or March, and I have an empty calendar until summer.

then do something fun! travel, volunteer, learn a new language! I would love to have that free time, hehe.

Fortunately my group has been very supportive of my plan, basically everyone knows and everyone hopes me the best. It's not preventing me from getting more opportunities at work simply because they know I want to contribute. My ED says he wishes me the best of luck but it would be nice if they can keep me longer. But again, we are not facing any layoffs at the moment. Who knows if there is some change in the organization...I don't regret telling everyone, because I just can't hide what I am really enthusiastic about. It actually helped me get more managerial opportunities at work since they know my direction. I do feel extremely lucky to have a supportive boss and group though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
PBateman wrote:

If you were going to return to the same company why not do an E-MBA?

Quote:
Does your employer know you're applying?

If admitted, when do you plan on sharing this?

When would you want to leave? (i.e. how much time off do you want before classes commence?)

Yes,
Right away,
Near the end of whatever the window would be - ie, if they wanted me to take prep courses starting in July, I'd leave work a week before. If it was just up till matric, a week before that.

My management chain knows that I've been aiming to move on for a while, but my position gave me the ability to pursue my pet project (which has been wildly successful for the company) and now that it's grown from my pet project to an enterprise solution being run by a full team, I've got no real reason to stay where I am.

Currently evaluating options, B-school being the best of them, and if I get in I will help out my current team by sticking in my role till I need to go, but if that fails... I'll be in a new role, internal or external, by March is my guess.
Current Student
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
lsmba wrote:
PBateman wrote:

I think that person meant if you are hoping to go full-time to business school...not sure though.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
lsmba wrote:
PBateman wrote:

I think that person meant if you are hoping to go full-time to business school...not sure though.

Yes, full-time to business school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
I was in the same shoes; everyone at work knew and was planning around. It's nerve wrecking and adds too much pressure

I'm planning to take off right after I get my bonus in March end. Though I would like to stay on till June and collect more savings before going in the red, I am somewhat forced to do this from an immigration perspective. I am on an H1B, which is a work Visa. It only gives me 6 years of work time in this country. The sooner I quit before my MBA, the more work time I would have left for my post-MBA job. Trust me, every month counts!

I'm not complaining though, i really need a long break!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
 Q48  V36
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
My boss thought I was going part time. I never corrected him until it came time to quit.

That's a great idea

In my case, except for a select few, no one in my company knows that I'm having MBA thoughts on my mind.

Unplugged
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Only my recommender (a colleague not working in the same group as me) knows I am going for an MBA. No one else knows.
I am telling the others the last moment I resign.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
I feel your pain, guys. It is very difficult to keep up the enthusiasm at work when you know your plan is to move on. However, I've been trying to be as enthusiastic and energetic as possible... I am hoping that if I keep it up, I can leave on a high note and have some great references for the future.

If it doesn't work out, and they tell me to pack my bags in January or February, oh well. Like others have said, you only live once and you won't have gaps like this very often ever again. I'd probably travel or try to hunt for a pre-MBA internship.

The difficulties and anxiety that go along with announcing are magnified by the state of the economy. If your company has to do layoffs, restructure, etc. it is difficult to hang on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is something I've been debating. Hoping that I hear some good news this week, I would like to leave somewhat shortly after I get my march bonus. It would eat up some of my savings, but I could use the break and would love to travel, etc. The problem is, I have completed all three levels of my CFA, but need 48 months of work experience before I can say I have a CFA charter, which would mean ~ June. Should I stick it out at work just to officially complete the CFA or will it not matter that much in the long run?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
eminent wrote:
I feel your pain, guys. It is very difficult to keep up the enthusiasm at work when you know your plan is to move on. However, I've been trying to be as enthusiastic and energetic as possible... I am hoping that if I keep it up, I can leave on a high note and have some great references for the future.

If it doesn't work out, and they tell me to pack my bags in January or February, oh well. Like others have said, you only live once and you won't have gaps like this very often ever again. I'd probably travel or try to hunt for a pre-MBA internship.

The difficulties and anxiety that go along with announcing are magnified by the state of the economy. If your company has to do layoffs, restructure, etc. it is difficult to hang on.

Is it typical for MBA students to need pre-MBA references during recruitment? Never really occurred to me. I'd prefer to just make a clean break from everything here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
That's a good point. I'm thinking the same way. I've already told my manager and I plan to quit by end of march and spend sometime in India and travel. Though I don't have any bonus coming my way :-(
stopper5 wrote:
I was in the same shoes; everyone at work knew and was planning around. It's nerve wrecking and adds too much pressure

I'm planning to take off right after I get my bonus in March end. Though I would like to stay on till June and collect more savings before going in the red, I am somewhat forced to do this from an immigration perspective. I am on an H1B, which is a work Visa. It only gives me 6 years of work time in this country. The sooner I quit before my MBA, the more work time I would have left for my post-MBA job. Trust me, every month counts!

I'm not complaining though, i really need a long break!

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
eminent wrote:
I'd probably travel or try to hunt for a pre-MBA internship.

How are you going about hunting for a pre-MBA internship. I think it's a great idea, but don't know where to start.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8