Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 11:16 It is currently 23 May 2024, 11:16
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS Class of 2012
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink]
SBChargers wrote:
the whole "interview optional" is not what you think it is. check the spreadsheets on bweek forums, if you look at 08 and 09, the guys that got in without an interview were ALL reapps

This is correct. And they were re-apps who interviewed the previous year that they applied. This is how it was for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview yesterday. The whole process (of scheduling my interview and the interview questions) was consistent with what others have reported.

A brief highlight:
I looked up the names of the three alumni (on google) that the interviewer search returned, and selected one based on my preference.
I contacted him, and he responded within minutes. We agreed on time and scheduled that we have the interview over dinner.
My interview questions:
Tell me about yourself and walk me through your resume.(I used this opportunity to tell him a story on my background up to present).
Why an MBA and why CBS?
Why spend two years on MBA?
Why not part-time MBA at a local college?
Tell me about an ethical dilemma that you have experienced or witnessed?
What other schools have you have applied to?
What is your plan in case you don't get into any of the schools that you have applied to?
How does location factor into your decision in choosing the schools that you applied to?
Then he allowed me to ask all the questions that I had for him.

Overall, the interview was conversational and smooth. Though I only got through a third of my dinner since i did most of the talking while he went through his appetizer and main course :-D

FYI - i submitted for RD in mid Nov, got interview invite 6th of Jan.
Current Student
Send PM
Good luck hegel!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Thanks for the info, hegel! Good luck!

Out of curiosity, which of you picked the dinner spot? And did he get up awkwardly to "go to the bathroom" before the check came?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
He picked the restaurant, apparently, because its three blocks away from where he lives.

Aenigma wrote:
did he get up awkwardly to "go to the bathroom" before the check came?

LOL. no he paid for our meal, but that would have been hilarious.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
eminent wrote:
Good luck hegel!!!

Thanks eminent.

Quick question, how long did it take to get your final decision from the time your status went to "interview complete"?

Also, did you get a call or just a regular email informing you that a decision had been made?
Current Student
Send PM
hegel wrote:
eminent wrote:
Good luck hegel!!!

Thanks eminent.

Quick question, how long did it take to get your final decision from the time your status went to "interview complete"?

Also, did you get a call or just a regular email informing you that a decision had been made?

It's usually pretty quick. It was 1 week last year for me. I think it can take up to 4-5 weeks for some people though... especially when it's this early in the cycle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can you shed some light on whats the usual lag between app review and int invite. I see that some folks who submitted thier apps on 12/31 have got invites, others are waiting since before that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
To any of you lucky ducks who were accepted early decision:

Any tips on selecting interviewers? I have a list from the system. Mostly men, a few women, mostly finance, and none from my area of interest/background (not surprising, I'm a little bit of a nontraditional candidate, although I am in business and in a consulting-like quantitative field). I am not from a finance background, so am not sure if it is to my benefit or not to select someone who is in finance.

Any thoughts/advice on what worked? Better to interview with a more recent grad or an older grad?

Who knows what I'll end up doing, but it would be great to hear from some successful candidates.
Current Student
Send PM
thisisgettingtome wrote:
Can you shed some light on whats the usual lag between app review and int invite. I see that some folks who submitted thier apps on 12/31 have got invites, others are waiting since before that.

3-6 weeks from what I've seen. It varies wildly.
Current Student
Send PM
LB20 wrote:

Any tips on selecting interviewers? I have a list from the system. Mostly men, a few women, mostly finance, and none from my area of interest/background (not surprising, I'm a little bit of a nontraditional candidate, although I am in business and in a consulting-like quantitative field). I am not from a finance background, so am not sure if it is to my benefit or not to select someone who is in finance.

Any thoughts/advice on what worked? Better to interview with a more recent grad or an older grad?

Who knows what I'll end up doing, but it would be great to hear from some successful candidates.

There is no right answer to this. It is very difficult to tell how an interviewer will be based on any of their demographics or background. I would just go ahead and get the person who responds first and is able to schedule an interview quickest.

Don't think into it too much. Just pretend that you were randomly assigned an interviewer, and that person happens to be the first one that you could schedule with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey LB20. Congrats on the interview. First off my interview went exactly as Hegel's, minus the dinner. I personally looked the people up on LinkedIn/Facebook and tried to see what I had in common. At the end of the day its a gamble but your obviously just trying to increase your odds of having a connection. I found someone who liked sports, so somehow while chatting I brought it up casually, probably in a joke, just trying to get him to open up about himself personally and I found it worked. Obviously don't make a comment directly about a team or school that he happened to go to that you read online however he didn't inform you about, then you would just be a creeper. I would also keep in mind your work experience and the roll they currently have. If you work in real estate, but what to be an entrepreneur and have never launched anything before, I would be cautious of picking an entrepreneur unless you are pretty knowledgeable as to what you are hoping to gain and why you think you'll be successful, because he/she may tear you apart if they can pick holes in your lack of knowledge being that it is their expertise. However if you have a good story, which you must from the essays, you could maybe flip it to your benefit. I want to work in Business Dev, and I support our Bus Dev team now, so I explained that I had my foot in the door but needed that extra knowledge in other areas other then my current skill set to push me through etc. The interviewer sees that I know about the industry, but I don't claim to be on his level (though I aspire to be). At the end of the day, just relax, prepare for the obvious questions but don't make your answers too rehearsed. Listen to what they say as well and make references or connections where possible. Make sure to ask questions at the end. This interview is about you, but if the convo remains 1 sided then its just him/her throwing pitches at you. Best of luck friend.
Intern
Intern
Schools:CBS Class of 2012
 Q48  V40
Send PM
LB20 wrote:

I chose from my "first 3"... I did look them up on linkedin and decided to go with the oldest guy. I figured the guy that has been doing this for the longest time was least likely to be an ass about it...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Angelwrath wrote:
Anyone yet to apply here?

Anyone? Although the deadline's still a month and a half away, do you guys think it's kind of late ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Pardon my ignorance, but do people in NY area always inteview in Columbia itself? I have read some rumblings about super Saturday, but really don't know much about it?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Angelwrath wrote:
Angelwrath wrote:

Anyone? Although the deadline's still a month and a half away, do you guys think it's kind of late ?

Sorry--it's unclear what your question is... Most people in this discussion thread are applying or have already applied and are waiting to hear back...

What are you trying to find out?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
Angelwrath wrote:
Angelwrath wrote:

Sorry--it's unclear what your question is... Most people in this discussion thread are applying or have already applied and are waiting to hear back...

What are you trying to find out?

Probably asking about Round 3 deadlines?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45  ...  83