Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink]
inspiring
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Kudos
2.54 GPA from a top Liberal Arts school.
Dings from uh...everywhere except georgetown w/l. I got in off the waitlist.

I got a 750 on the gmat. absolutely necessary if you're applying with a low UG gpa. My essays were kind of weak as well, or I think I would have been more successful. I spoke to the people at Tuck and Columbia and basically they said that because of my GPA I needed to have stellar essays to show them why they needed to ignore my past failure. Since I wasn't able to do that they felt like I just didnt' have good experiences to talk about and might have been a decent enough candidate in a few years, but that I seemed under prepared at present.

With any severe weakness in your application materials the onus is on you to MAKE them ignore it. You may know that you're not the bad risk you were as an 18 year old idiot, but the admissions department has never met you, so you have to show them why they should ignore the evidence that you've been a complete idiot in the past. I have more thoughts on this, but I'm in costa rica and the hotel computer kinda sucks so...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
isa wrote:
Not sure if this is "low" or not...

1. Undergrad GPA of 3.1, GPA in majors 3.7/3.8
2. Dinged at HBS (w/o interview), Columbia (w/ interview), MIT (w/o interview), Wharton (interview, WL, then ding)
3. Accepted at Booth, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck

How did you do on your GMAT? I assume your work experience and extra curricular activities were excellent?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
isa wrote:
Not sure if this is "low" or not...

1. Undergrad GPA of 3.1, GPA in majors 3.7/3.8
2. Dinged at HBS (w/o interview), Columbia (w/ interview), MIT (w/o interview), Wharton (interview, WL, then ding)
3. Accepted at Booth, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck

How did you do on your GMAT? I assume your work experience and extra curricular activities were excellent?

ISA had 760 GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow, that is a very impressive score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
This gives me hope! I got a 750 on the Gmat and have a similar GPA issue. I have great work experience so it feels great that I could get in as long as I have excellent essays. Yay!

Sleepy wrote:
2.54 GPA from a top Liberal Arts school.
Dings from uh...everywhere except georgetown w/l. I got in off the waitlist.

I got a 750 on the gmat. absolutely necessary if you're applying with a low UG gpa. My essays were kind of weak as well, or I think I would have been more successful. I spoke to the people at Tuck and Columbia and basically they said that because of my GPA I needed to have stellar essays to show them why they needed to ignore my past failure. Since I wasn't able to do that they felt like I just didnt' have good experiences to talk about and might have been a decent enough candidate in a few years, but that I seemed under prepared at present.

With any severe weakness in your application materials the onus is on you to MAKE them ignore it. You may know that you're not the bad risk you were as an 18 year old idiot, but the admissions department has never met you, so you have to show them why they should ignore the evidence that you've been a complete idiot in the past. I have more thoughts on this, but I'm in costa rica and the hotel computer kinda sucks so...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It appears hard enough with a solid GMAT score and a solid gpa to be admitted into a top school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
hi, ~3 gpa

submitting for r2 this year! we'll see what happens
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM