Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink]
i was on my own since i was 17 and neither of my parents graduated HS since they dropped out to have me -- more background info. are u looking at doing energy or what? it depends on the consultant -- alex chu is really good from what i hear and ive interacted with him and trust him... and how much info on your own self you can dig up and shape your story.. so obviously a very subjective story
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
i was on my own since i was 17 and neither of my parents graduated HS since they dropped out to have me -- more background info. are u looking at doing energy or what? it depends on the consultant -- alex chu is really good from what i hear and ive interacted with him and trust him... and how much info on your own self you can dig up and shape your story.. so obviously a very subjective story

Wow, very similar story indeed (left home when I was that age, family dropped out in the 3rd grade or something to work on the farms in Vietnam)! Regarding my goals, I'm looking to get into Equity Research or Portfolio Management. Looking to pair my love for the markets and interpersonal/sales skills to take Finance and do something special with it. The McCombs program would be my dream program although many of the top 25 programs look good to me.

Thanks for engaging my questions. I appreciate it and will certainly do my thorough research with all the consulting firms out there including Alex.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Since I just got in off the WL I have now moved from 'Failure' to 'Success' and will add my 2c.

I had a 2.7 from Williams with a Pol Sci major and only quant coursework was Multivariable Calc and Intro Stats.

Was dinged everywhere except Johnson, where I was WL'ed and then accepted.

I had a bunch of other hurdles but this was def a major one for me. I think the most important thing someone can do is ace the GMAT. That will go a long way towards easing their concerns. I really feel that the GMAT is more important than a lot of AdComs feel comfortable admitting, especially if you come from an over subscribed background or profession. This is all obviously just my speculation, so take it with a grain of salt, but there is a school of thought that if you get over 700, then it doesn't matter (i.e. 710=750) and they move on to evaluating the rest of your profile. If you work for one of the best companies in your field (GS/MS, MBB, FB/Goog so on and so forth) and have an acceptable GPA (3.2+ imo) then I think that adage probably holds true. When you have a poor GPA or come from a nontraditional background I think it becomes more important to overachieve on the GMAT and that there is a real difference between 750 and a 710 (even if it was just 2 or 3 points higher on the V side for me).

The other thing, which I didn't realize last year, and what I think made the difference in getting me off of the WL is just take a class or two likely in a quant field (econ, stats, acctg, calc) that you didn't study in college and get a good grade. I don't think you need to take 10 classes, but just the gesture of taking one class, the prolonged commitment and expense of time and money I think garners a lot of goodwill with admissions.

For most everyone that falls in this bucket and is dealing with a <3.0 it's likely going to be very-hard-to-impossible to get into H/S/W but that a lot of really good schools in the 10-20 range will be understanding of a low GPA as long as it is addressed. I wish I had known this and found this website last year but I am really thrilled that I finally got into school and wish the best of luck to everyone else who had less than stellar performance in undergrad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Very inspiring to all. I am in the same boat and thanks for the posts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
As a fellow low GPA-er, this post has been incredibly inspiring! Hopefully, after I submit applications this fall/winter, I will have a success story to contribute. :)

Since so many of you are total success stories, I was wondering if you could give me some advice so I can look more appealing to the admissions committees when I apply.

I am a 31 year old female. I took the GMAT last month and scored a dismal 620 (V34 Q41 AWA6.0). I am currently in the process of studying my butt off so I can retest and hopefully break the 700 mark. :) I went to a UC, majored in Art History, and my overall undergrad GPA was 2.91. I struggled immensely my first two years of undergrad, but kicked things into gear the last two years and got a GPA of 3.76 (Dean's Honor list several times, GPA ranging from 3.49 to 4.0). I'm hoping that the adcoms will look at the overall improving trend in my GPA and put less emphasis on my overall GPA (which I will most definitely explain in an extra essay).

I would love to go to Fuqua or CBS, but I feel that those two schools are out of my league. Even Tepper would be a dream come true. However, I have my sights set on Marshall - USC since it is local to me, and I don't feel that going to school out of state is appropriate for me at this moment given personal circumstances. (Without going too much into detail, my father passed away suddenly 3 months ago, and I don't feel comfortable leaving my mother--who is still very depressed--by herself just yet).

I know that having an alternative transcript will help to boast my application and possibly put less emphasis on my undergraduate GPA. Online programs would be preferable, and I heard both Berkeley Extension and Thunderbird offer good courses to supplement my application. I'm thinking that taking a course or two this summer online could help for when I apply this fall/winter. What online programs and courses would be the most advisable to take? Keep in mind that I am an Art History major. :) I did take Calculus and Statistics and did well, but have no real educational experience in subjects like, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, etc (I can write a mean essay, though!) :P

Thank you so much for your help :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
elleesie wrote:
As a fellow low GPA-er, this post has been incredibly inspiring! Hopefully, after I submit applications this fall/winter, I will have a success story to contribute. :)

Since so many of you are total success stories, I was wondering if you could give me some advice so I can look more appealing to the admissions committees when I apply.

I am a 31 year old female. I took the GMAT last month and scored a dismal 620 (V34 Q41 AWA6.0). I am currently in the process of studying my butt off so I can retest and hopefully break the 700 mark. :) I went to a UC, majored in Art History, and my overall undergrad GPA was 2.91. I struggled immensely my first two years of undergrad, but kicked things into gear the last two years and got a GPA of 3.76 (Dean's Honor list several times, GPA ranging from 3.49 to 4.0). I'm hoping that the adcoms will look at the overall improving trend in my GPA and put less emphasis on my overall GPA (which I will most definitely explain in an extra essay).

I would love to go to Fuqua or CBS, but I feel that those two schools are out of my league. Even Tepper would be a dream come true. However, I have my sights set on Marshall - USC since it is local to me, and I don't feel that going to school out of state is appropriate for me at this moment given personal circumstances. (Without going too much into detail, my father passed away suddenly 3 months ago, and I don't feel comfortable leaving my mother--who is still very depressed--by herself just yet).

I know that having an alternative transcript will help to boast my application and possibly put less emphasis on my undergraduate GPA. Online programs would be preferable, and I heard both Berkeley Extension and Thunderbird offer good courses to supplement my application. I'm thinking that taking a course or two this summer online could help for when I apply this fall/winter. What online programs and courses would be the most advisable to take? Keep in mind that I am an Art History major. :) I did take Calculus and Statistics and did well, but have no real educational experience in subjects like, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, etc (I can write a mean essay, though!) :P

Thank you so much for your help :)

You sound a lot like me. I'm a 31 year old female with a low GPA (although I'm a 2.7 with a downward trend). You wouldn't be matriculating til Fall 2013 so I wouldn't refrain from applying to your dream schools because of immediate circumstances. A lot can change in a year.

Now as for making yourself more appealing to an admissions committee, you already know that the GMAT is going to be critical for you. I've seen people have 100+ point jumps on their retakes so study hard. I am sure you'll kill it now that the nerves are out of the way. You can take a couple of supplemental courses, however if you've already done well in stats and econ I don't know how much it will add. Plus you had an upward trend and did really well your final two years. The optional essay is definitely your friend. Use it. While I wouldn't say that a high GMAT completely offsets a low GPA (they really do measure two different things), I think that your GPA trajectory definitely shows that you can handle the coursework and that you're willing to put forth the effort to get good grades. I don't know when you plan to retake the GMAT or in what round you're going to apply but I do know that taking a course is a big time commitment. I would carefully assess whether doing so is the best use of your time between now and app deadlines. While it never hurts, the ROI may not be as high as you think. I ultimately decided not to take a class and focused on other aspects of my application.

In my opinion your resume and career goals essay are going to make or break your application. Being older you're in this tricky spot where you are expected to have a good amount of career progression but not so much to make you seem more suited to a PT or E-MBA. It's definitely a tough balancing act. What company you work for and your role there will definitely matter a lot. I would focus a lot of your time on recommender prep. Other than that, do a good job of communicating your goals, leadership experiences, and self-awareness and I don't see why you wouldn't have a shot at Fuqua, CBS, or Tepper. May not be a slam dunk, but you'd give yourself a fighting chance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
cheetarah spot on as usual.

my totally non-expert opinion is that you should focus on gmatmgmatgmatmgmagtmgmat until you get a suitable score. especially given the really solid trajectory of your gpa, i think if you get the score you need on gmat you will be competitive at those schools. it's also going to be a lot easier to take, for example, financial accounting, online while applying to schools than it is to be studying for the gmat and applying to schools. so if i were you i would focus on the gmat this summer, apply to all the schools you want, and you can always take a class in the fall, and update the adcoms, or incorporate it into r2/r3 apps as well.

i was told by a consultant that harvard extension and ucla extension were both reputable online programs. berkeley online i am sure is fine too. i would stay away from tbird probably given the other options that are out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi guys. I am yet to apply to B-school but I would need advice on how best to package my application. A summary of my profile is below:

UGPA of 2.8-3.0 on a 4 point scale (My actual is 3.48 on a 5.0 scale)
Undergrad Major: Chemical Engineering
GMAT 700-780 (Yet to take the test but I should be able to ace it easily)
TOEFL iBT: 104
WE:1.5 yrs in Project Management at a Construction firm
1 yr as a high school teacher (mandatory national service)
7 months as an Account Executive (Strategic Planning & Implementation) at a Media company
Now 2 months at a Fortune 100 FMCG as a Field Sales Manager
EC: A whole lot of leadership and volunteer activities pre and post graduation, a prestigious undergrad scholarship (Exxon to be precise)
Ethnic status: Under-represented Minority

I intend applying for Spring 2014 session and I've started my preparations. I'm looking at Smith, Goizuetta, Ross and Kellog and I'm hoping I get a scholarship. I'm thinking of taking an online professional certificate course in Strategic Management (made up of five courses) at Havard Extension for two reasons. The first is to expand my knowledge base in the field and secondly to serve as a boost to my application.

My questions are below:
1. Do you advise I go ahead with the HES course or are there other programs that will give me a better deal?
2. What impact do you think this would have on my B-school application?
3. Do I apply in R1, R2 or R3? I'm considering R2.
4. How do you rate my profile? What other schools do you think I should consider?

Your thoughts are highly welcomed.

Originally posted by j2insead on 12 Jun 2012, 19:38.
Last edited by j2insead on 12 Jun 2012, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
sirdessydee wrote:
Hi guys. I am yet to apply to B-school but I would need advice on how best to package my application. A summary of my profile is below:

7 months as an Account Executive (Strategic Planning & Implementation) at a Media company
EC: A whole lot of leadership and volunteer activities pre and post graduation, a prestigious undergrad scholarship (Exxon to be precise)

I intend applying for Spring 2014 session and I've started my preparations. I'm looking at Smith, Goizuetta, Ross and Kellog and I'm hoping I get a scholarship. I'm thinking of taking a professional certificate course in Strategic Management (made up of five courses) at Havard Extension for two reasons. The first is to expand my knowledge base in the field and secondly to serve as a boost to my application.

My questions are below:
1. Do you advise I go ahead with the HES course or are there other programs that will give me a better deal?
4. How do you rate my profile? What other schools do you think I should consider?

Are you applying to PT programs? Most full-time programs do not have spring intake, just fall. So do you plan to apply for class of 2015 or 2016? I'm a bit confused.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
sirdessydee wrote:

I intend applying for Spring 2014 session and I've started my preparations. I'm looking at Smith, Goizuetta, Ross and Kellog and I'm hoping I get a scholarship. I'm thinking of taking a professional certificate course in Strategic Management (made up of five courses) at Havard Extension for two reasons. The first is to expand my knowledge base in the field and secondly to serve as a boost to my application.

My questions are below:

Are you applying to PT programs? Most full-time programs do not have spring intake, just fall. So do you plan to apply for class of 2015 or 2016? I'm a bit confused.

Sorry, fall of 2014 and full-time.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sirdessydee wrote:

My questions are below:

Your best shot at a scholarship at Goizuetta and Ross is to apply through the Consortium (https://www.cgsm.org). Scholarship money at Kellogg is a crapshoot and I don't know much about Smith at all.
How your GPA plays is going to depend a lot upon where you went to undergrad. I see the 5.0 scale. Did you go to MIT? Right or wrong a 2.8-3.0 at MIT goes off much better than a 2.8-3.0 at Midwest Valley Southern State University. The Harvard Extension classes will definitely help your case and you have plenty of time to take a few courses before you apply. I warn you not to OD on the supplemental classes. If you take too many adcoms will start to wonder why you even need the MBA if you already learned it all.
Also, please remember that an alternative transcript doesn't necessarily impress admissions committees. Your undergrad GPA matters most to them. What the alternate transcript does is three things 1) shows you're self aware enough to know the weaknesses in your application and address them, 2) show you can handle the coursework of an MBA program, and 3) serve as penance for not doing well in undergrad.
As for when to apply, go for either R1 or R2. Stay away from R3 at all costs. Yes, people get admitted in R3, but it's much harder and most of the class is already full at this point. Don't stack the deck against yourself even more.

I think your profile is solid enough to gain admission to at least one of the schools on your list. A lot of your chances are going to hinge upon your resume and how well your current employer is regarded. Fortune 100 FMCG company could score you good points if we're talking J&J, P&G, or Unilever as these are traditional feeder companies. If your undergrad is MIT that's another plus. Kellogg is a tough nut to crack. They kind of lull folks into a false sense of security by interviewing almost every applicant. You could probably add a couple more top 15 schools to the mix, maybe Johnson or Duke (similar in culture to Ross and Kellogg). With a 700+ GMAT score, the factors I mentioned earlier in this paragraph, strong recommendations (and these are not as easy to come by as you may think), a compelling goals essay, and a stand out resume you should be in the hunt.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, thanks for the advice. I didn't go to MIT but some top university here in Africa. As for my UGPA, it's an upward trend. For Fortune 100 FMCG, we're talking Unilever so I guess that will help. I have looked up Johnson and Duke & IMO, Johnson should be a right fit. As for strong recommendations, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to turning in my applications. I just hope I get it right the first time. Thanks...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM