Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: How important is GPA? [#permalink]
merkin wrote:
.... but for most candidates undergrad is the primary GPA metric.

I respectfully disagree. Your graduate GPA is not only a better apples to apples comparison of to how you might do in another graduate program, but also a more recent - and in some cases substantially so - metric than any undergrad GPA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'm speaking of course of Masters of x programs. Everyone I know who has done some generic masters program has a 4.0 or damn near it. I think ad coms recognize that, in fact I believe Montauk speaks to it in his book. Getting a masters in something like education, political science, et al is not an appropriate gauge for ability to perform in an MBA environment. An exception, as I said, would exist if you have been out of school for 10 years.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot guys for replying. Actually I am getting a PhD. Would be done with it in a year or so. I don't know how important GPAs are for people who already have a PhD.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
willdo2010 wrote:
Thanks a lot guys for replying. Actually I am getting a PhD. Would be done with it in a year or so. I don't know how important GPAs are for people who already have a PhD.

PhD is completely different than Grad School we're talking about. With a Ph'D you do stand out enough and most schools will respect a Ph'D as in that you can handled Bschool very well. However, the question a new Ph'D studend would need to answer is WHY MBA, or more specifically, why spend all those years getting a Ph'D and applying to Bschool.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a 3.5 undergrad gpa, but a 3.0 in masters...will that be frowned upon?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
<< more pertinent for international undergrad GPA >>

If you are international student, then it is quite likely that the adcom would not have the proper specifications to understand your undergrad school's grading system. In such situations, a (high) GMAT score is a better indicator.
Regarding grad school GPA - this might be a better indicator of your recent performance. But IMHO, a grad school GPA from an american univ is not a true indicator of one's undergrad performance (again if you are from an international undergrad program).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi.
I'm from India and did my undergrad in Electronics & Communications Engineering with 68%. I just attended Booth admissions event in Bangalore and got to know from adcom that i can use www.wes.org to convert my percentage system to GPA system. I used this GPA calculator and got my UGPA 3.79/4.00.

I have couple of questions:
1. Is this WES iGPA calculator relevant for international students for GPA conversion? Do B School adcoms approve GPA from this calculator?

2. How you view this 3.79 GPA in terms of getting into top b school programs?

Thanks and eagerly waiting for reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Kudos
my guess is that grad school GPAs are a factor that mitigates rather than replaces an undergrad GPA, much like being a mathematics major mitigates a poor GMAT. The problem with saying that a grad school GPA should "replace" an undergrad one from an admissions standpoint is that you've suddenly taken away one of the few apples-to-apples comparisons that the admissions committee has (even though GPAs vary enormously from grade inflating liberal arts colleges to stingy science and engineering schools).

Quote:
2. How you view this 3.79 GPA in terms of getting into top b school programs?

I can't answer the first question, but I can try to answer this one: a 3.79 is above the averages at every business school i know of, and probably around or just below the 80th percentile of top schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
gpa is supposed to be equally important but who really knows? obviously top schools will attract students with high gpa so it might be "important" to differentiate... but so is the high gmat score.. I have a 2.92 UG and 3.27 G and i hate how it turned out but there's nothing i can do.... just gotta move on , do gmat and essays/interviews.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
gpa is supposed to be equally important but who really knows? obviously top schools will attract students with high gpa so it might be "important" to differentiate... but so is the high gmat score.. I have a 2.92 UG and 3.27 G and i hate how it turned out but there's nothing i can do.... just gotta move on , do gmat and essays/interviews.

I think you are giong to be fine, you have a pretty good grad gpa. Regardless good luck and nice GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
So what about law school GPA? I ended up having a better GPA in law school than my UGPA, mainly b/c I actually tried in law school. My law school GPA landed me in the top 5% of my graduating class, and I graduated with magna cum laude distinction, but my UGPA was much less respectable (3.5ish from large state university with poli sci major).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
madammepsychosis wrote:
So what about law school GPA? I ended up having a better GPA in law school than my UGPA, mainly b/c I actually tried in law school. My law school GPA landed me in the top 5% of my graduating class, and I graduated with magna cum laude distinction, but my UGPA was much less respectable (3.5ish from large state university with poli sci major).

Probably depends heavily on the school you went to. If you went to a top 20 law school, graduating in the top 5% is really impressive. If you graduated in the top 5% at a less well known school, it may still help neutralize your undergrad GPA a bit, but probably not that much. It seems to me, though, your biggest challenge will be getting a really high quant and explaining convincingly why you want an MBA.

EDIT: Oh, you said you had a 3.5 GPA. That's really unlikely to hurt you. GPAs at business schools don't tend to be all that high (e.g. H=3.67), though at the top schools those relatively lower GPAs tend to be from the top undergraduate institutions. Still, the GPA thing is not going to be very concerning to the admissions people compared to the the worry about your reasons for going, your employability after, and your quantitative skills.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Very roughly speaking I think GMAT > UGPA > Grad-GPA

Based on GMAC studies, the GMAT is a better predictor of academic performance in during the MBA than UGPA's.

Also, a school's average GMAT score is more closely looked at in rankings and by applicants than average UGPA's.

UGPA's prob outweigh Grad-GPA's because schools report their average UGPA's for rankings (not Grad-GPA's). And, as mentioned before, in specific fields everyone gets a high score (plus grad school only shows 1 year of academic performance, while college is 4 years).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
tmino wrote:
Very roughly speaking I think GMAT > UGPA > Grad-GPA

Based on GMAC studies, the GMAT is a better predictor of academic performance in during the MBA than UGPA's.

Also, a school's average GMAT score is more closely looked at in rankings and by applicants than average UGPA's.

UGPA's prob outweigh Grad-GPA's because schools report their average UGPA's for rankings (not Grad-GPA's). And, as mentioned before, in specific fields everyone gets a high score (plus grad school only shows 1 year of academic performance, while college is 4 years).

I think you're right in ranking, but I do wonder if the correlations are a bit misleading.

The problem with a study that compares GPA to performance is that it's institution blind. That would be fine if admissions officers were institution blind too. I doubt admissions people have some sort of scientific conversion, but most likely they're going to informally or subconsciously adjust those GPAs based on institution and major. I would predict someone who got a 3.3 at CalTech in an engineering degree to do just as well or better than someone who got a 3.8 at their local state college branch in sociology.

My point is only that I imagine if you could somehow figure out a way to see the correlation between UGPA as adjusted in admissions committee members' minds and MBA grades, you'd probably come out with something that is much closer to the GMAT. After all, what an adcomm views your GPA as is what matters for admissions, especially because there's only a slight benefit to boosting absolute GPAs in the rankings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Kudos
my question is : How to convert percentage system to GPA grading sys? Do adcoms use something such as iGPA of www.wes.org ?

as I'm international student. I want to know my possible GPA to find out my competitiveness in top Schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
PranavChamp wrote:
my question is : How to convert percentage system to GPA grading sys? Do adcoms use something such as iGPA of https://www.wes.org ?

as I'm international student. I want to know my possible GPA to find out my competitiveness in top Schools.

I think AdComs don't rely on some conversion website. They know foreign education systems quite well, especially from key markets like India. For example, knowing that an applicant graduated from IIT Delhi and was in the top tier of the class is already a good indicator of strong academic performance. It's the same in the US. A 3.8 GPA from some community college is just not the same as a 3.8 from an Ivy league school. India has the same differences in their educational system and AdComs are aware of this.

Just plugging in some percentage score from India into a website and getting a standard US GPA is kind of useless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Jeanette,

Just reading your post now and totally agree (and in fact just posted the same point to PranavChamp). Would make sense to differentiate by tier of undergrad institution.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2