Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: What is the "target" correct answers to get ~700? [#permalink]
Kudos
How do you know whether knewton cat scoring is accurate or not? Better attempt GMAT to decide whether to be worried or not.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gurpreetsingh wrote:
shaselai wrote:
I understand earlier questions worth more but is there a general consensus on how many questions one can afford to get wrong to get ~700? I am just trying to gauge how many rights i need at least... just a bit depressed after taking a knewton cat - got 620 47/28 after getting 3 quant wrong and 11 verbal wrong...

Just make sure you donot lose consecutive questions....

if you lose 3 questions at a stretch you will lose more marks than losing alternate wrong answers.

ah... i think you are right on that one. the last quant i got 47 on i had 10+ questions wrong but i dont think any 2 were consecutive while the most recent one with 3 wrong i had 2 consecutive wrongs. I am not sure why that is though since wouldnt getting 2 right after 2 wrong bring me back to the original level or i lose more than i gain? Well if that is the case then i cant really do anything about it...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
someone from mgmat told me this:

To score about 700, you need to get about 60% of the questions right. (This is also true for 600. This is also true for 500. Get the picture? :)

When you get up to about 720 or so, then you need to get more right - maybe 70 to 80%.

So, the percentage correct doesn't change a whole lot, and there's also no absolute minimum number of correct answers - that's just not how the test is scored. What changes is the difficulty level of the questions you're getting right vs. wrong. Also, because of the way the scoring works, strings of wrong answers can be very harmful to your score. A string is 4+ questions wrong in a row. Getting two wrong in a row is not a big deal - in fact, that's going to happen to pretty much everybody.

Basically, this is what you want to do:
- get everything or almost everything right that is "lower level" for you (that is, don't make careless mistake on things you should be able to get right easily)
- do very well on the questions that are in your "top range" (things that you usually, but not always, get right - no more than a couple of careless mistakes on these)
- don't lose time on any questions, especially those that are really too hard for you anyway
- don't put yourself in a position to get 4+ wrong in a row, which basically means don't put yourself in a "rush" position due to time pressure or nerves

so basically i just have to try to get everything right since it is impossible to know which i got wrong (unless i did some serious guessing..)... still interesting to know though
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Glad to see someone sailing pretty much in the same boat as I did a couple of months ago. That was my last week of prep before the big day and I was under a severe panic attack. I could manage my quants well above 47 always, which I did on the test day too but verbals weren't willing to rise above the highest ever 35 on my graphs. I changed my strategy since then.

Reading a question, understanding it's content and intent, identifying the trap, and approaching the correct solution in a timely manner is an art. If you have mastered it, you are in the groove, and the sad part, nobody can teach it to you. You have to figure it out all by yourselves. It's like a soul-search.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Interesting topics here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Send PM
BarneyStinson wrote:
Glad to see someone sailing pretty much in the same boat as I did a couple of months ago. That was my last week of prep before the big day and I was under a severe panic attack. I could manage my quants well above 47 always, which I did on the test day too but verbals weren't willing to rise above the highest ever 35 on my graphs. I changed my strategy since then.

Reading a question, understanding it's content and intent, identifying the trap, and approaching the correct solution in a timely manner is an art. If you have mastered it, you are in the groove, and the sad part, nobody can teach it to you. You have to figure it out all by yourselves. It's like a soul-search.

how did you do?

I know i am getting better at SC than before - i am more active in noticing errors and getting down to 2 choices. However, my RC is still OK. RC is still dependent on the passage - if it is boring or too statistical i do horrible, but if it is interesting i do very well. CR i know my weakness is sometimes i let "outside" info in answer choice affect me. My highest verbal thus far is 32 - that was with 9 wrong and i though i couldve done better....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My Question will be some kind offtop, but i have taken on 4. March the Kaplan free Gmat Sample test. And i think that the Questions there was preety easy. Could anybody comment this? Are the Questions by Kaplan something like a real GMAT?
I ll be really glad to become an answer)
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lindsy,

Our tests are adaptive, and are pretty close to the real thing. However, we've just instituted some minor mathematical alterations to our scoring algorithm, which will hopefully be even more accurate in the future!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
how did you do?

I know i am getting better at SC than before - i am more active in noticing errors and getting down to 2 choices. However, my RC is still OK. RC is still dependent on the passage - if it is boring or too statistical i do horrible, but if it is interesting i do very well. CR i know my weakness is sometimes i let "outside" info in answer choice affect me. My highest verbal thus far is 32 - that was with 9 wrong and i though i couldve done better....

Apologize for the delayed response.

I consider my first attempt at GMAT a disaster. 650 is nevertheless not really bad, it is just average and I don't want to be just an average. I went into a hibernation mode, did some thinking and soul-searching and figured out my weakness. I am just good at simple and basic quant. When I see a problem, I already know what is given, what is needed, and quickly devise how to get there. It just comes naturally, out of sustained practise since I was a kid. I decided to employ the same technique to verbal as well. MGMAT SC and powerscore CR were very very helpful. They teach us to look at a question in exactly the same mode above, what is given and what is needed. However, to develop a habit out of it takes a lot of time and a lot of grueling practise.

I am still in the practise mode as of now. Been constantly taking practise questions, haven't noticed an alarmingly upbeat improvement yet, satisfied that I have learned something in the way and my ability to analyze a verbal question has changed dramatically. I'd suggest, make it your aim to try and get every question right. And that is possible only when you master the above strategy, which I repeat again, know what is given, know what is asked and quickly devise how to get there.
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Sentence Correction
Schools:BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the heady discussion.

We here at Knewton take great pride in the accuracy of our CATs. The original designers of the GMAT algorithm built our CATs. That is not marketing speak, it is simply a fact.

We are super anal about data and reporting -- and we work very diligently to give students the most test-like experience out there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns,
Josh
GMAT Club Bot