Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Schools:<strong>INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)</strong>
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink]
HankScorpio wrote:
Both of my interviews are this week ... wow I am so distracted... can barely focus on my work this week. Good luck everyone!

Really don't worry too much about the interviews. Obviously it depends a bit on your interviewers, but mine and those of most other applicants I know were very relaxed. Felt more like a chat than a real interview and no strange questions. It felt like they just wanted to confirm that: (1) you are the one who wrote the application, (2) you're not a total prick, (3) you still kind of make sense in a normal conversation and more or less know what you're talking about, (4) you've got a good image of INSEAD, know a bit about the school and will fit in.

Harvard interview was definitely a lot more painful. Adcom questions were much harder and more focused (1 interview - 30 min), and it kind of felt like I had to really prove myself. INSEAD was a fun chat with 2 nice guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD
 Q49  V34
Send PM
Hi, I just had a first interview today. :-D
The interviewer was director of IB, and his questions seem to be typical ones:
Why MBA, and why at this timing in your career?
Why INSEAD?
What was your most significant achievement in your career?

Another interview will be arranged in a week.
Hope everyone's best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
 Q48  V42
Send PM
hello everyone...I am working on a R2 application...
has everyone on here obtained a recommendation from their direct manager? I want to not do so, and am wondering how much it will negatively impact my application.

thoughts please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:INSEAD - JAN 2011 (Admitted)
 Q48  V32
Send PM
mbagal2010 wrote:
I'm from Singapore and have only one invite.. it looks like they have sent only one invite to folks here. Even I would've thought that there would be a large alum base here..

Anyone in Singapore heard any further information on second interviewer?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Chartered Accountant
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:LBS (R2), Booth (R2)
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Hey all,

My second interviewer just got changed twice - first alum happens to be out of the country and the second alum, who was "found" yesterday, is free to meet in a different city, only tomorrow and day after. Ive informed my coord that at such short notice, its quite impossible to defer prior work commitments and i understand telephonic interviews are not encouraged.

Looks like ill have to wait for interview no.2.

Regards,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I feel INSEAD has given a standard list of questions to all interviewers, and perhaps they are more or less sticking to the same..

Both my interviewers had almost similiar questions and in the same order.

So Hankscorpio and the others who have their interviews pending : you guys are lucky , you just need to relax, and take it easy you know whats coming up.. I was a little nervous for my first interview, but the interview was more like a casual conversation so it went off well.

I think thats the real merit, I see in INSEAD alumni their grounded and not overbearing, despite their achievments.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: entrepreneurship
Schools:INSEAD (Accepted 11J)
 Q45  V42
WE 1: 4 yrs Fortune 500
Send PM
tihor wrote:
has everyone on here obtained a recommendation from their direct manager? I want to not do so, and am wondering how much it will negatively impact my application.

thoughts please?

I chose not to get a recommendation from my direct manager, but I had a prior direct manager within the same company do the recommendation. From my understanding, adcoms are understanding of circumstances when direct manager recommendations are not possible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I didn't receive a reco from a direct manager since I've worked in the new company for about 3 months only.

As for the interviews, had both last week. The first was with a really "bad cop" from PE. The conversation was very formal though sometimes he showed his good sence of humor. The worst began when it came to my questions. I asked about his experience of living there with his family, about his clubs and so on. And the answer was always: "it was ok" or something like this, not giving me any useful information or any hints for next questions. Lasted for 40 minutes. The other interview was much more relaxed and lasted for 2 hours. Both interviews were a good experience for me, however I'm afraid I didn't perform my best. Good luck to everyone!

ps - does anybody know whether INSEAD releases all decisions close to the deadline or it may happen sooner?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Guys…what will happen if I am unable to coordinate my 2nd interview by May 10 (this is the target date per my coordinator)? This second interviewer seems to be very busy, doesn’t respond to my emails and when I called him he remarked that I am calling him at home (this is the number provided by INSEAD so I have no idea that I was calling him at home) and that we should coordinate by email. And when I email him, I don’t get a response. It seems like he is too busy or is not interested in interviewing me. This has been going on for 1.5 weeks and I had wanted to give my best in coordinating the interview before I bring this up to INSEAD.

I just emailed my coordinator about the above….what will happen? I asked if she could find another alumni for me. And what will happen if I go past May 10th? And what will happen if I end up with just one interview? I am worried.

The other interviewer was very prompt – we have arranged for an interview on May 8th and this was done 2 weeks back! :-) .

Please advise
Intern
Intern
Send PM
daniyatom wrote:
Guys…what will happen if I am unable to coordinate my 2nd interview by May 10 (this is the target date per my coordinator)? This second interviewer seems to be very busy, doesn’t respond to my emails and when I called him he remarked that I am calling him at home (this is the number provided by INSEAD so I have no idea that I was calling him at home) and that we should coordinate by email. And when I email him, I don’t get a response. It seems like he is too busy or is not interested in interviewing me. This has been going on for 1.5 weeks and I had wanted to give my best in coordinating the interview before I bring this up to INSEAD.

I just emailed my coordinator about the above….what will happen? I asked if she could find another alumni for me. And what will happen if I go past May 10th? And what will happen if I end up with just one interview? I am worried.

The other interviewer was very prompt – we have arranged for an interview on May 8th and this was done 2 weeks back! :-) .

Please advise

As far as I am aware INSEAD first checks with the interviewer of his availability and willingness to interview and then only shares the details with us applicants... so am very surprised reading ur experience.

Am sure your coordinator will find an alternative for you and as far as the interview dates go am sure knowing of ur predicament they will give u the benefit of a few extra days.

wish u luck!!
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
I feel INSEAD has given a standard list of questions to all interviewers, and perhaps they are more or less sticking to the same..

Both my interviewers had almost similiar questions and in the same order.

So Hankscorpio and the others who have their interviews pending : you guys are lucky , you just need to relax, and take it easy you know whats coming up.. I was a little nervous for my first interview, but the interview was more like a casual conversation so it went off well.

I think thats the real merit, I see in INSEAD alumni their grounded and not overbearing, despite their achievments.

It's more like they all have the same evaluation form to fill out, which is why they have similar questions. If they've done enough of these interviews, they stick to their general script/flow to keep things simple for themselves. My interviewer told me tonight that it takes at least an hour to fill out the evaluation form, so if you think about it, it's quite an investment of time per interviewee. Grounded is right - if an investment banking director or industry VP is willing to spend 2 hours per interviewee with no renumeration, they genuinely care about giving something back.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
yanka wrote:
I didn't receive a reco from a direct manager since I've worked in the new company for about 3 months only.

As for the interviews, had both last week. The first was with a really "bad cop" from PE. The conversation was very formal though sometimes he showed his good sence of humor. The worst began when it came to my questions. I asked about his experience of living there with his family, about his clubs and so on. And the answer was always: "it was ok" or something like this, not giving me any useful information or any hints for next questions. Lasted for 40 minutes. The other interview was much more relaxed and lasted for 2 hours. Both interviews were a good experience for me, however I'm afraid I didn't perform my best. Good luck to everyone!

ps - does anybody know whether INSEAD releases all decisions close to the deadline or it may happen sooner?

Most are close to the deadline - like within 2 days of the final notification date. If you're successful, you should get a phone call in that timeframe. The wait will suck, but we're all in the same boat. Good luck yanka!
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
tihor wrote:

thoughts please?

My interviewer today asked me if my company knew about my intent to apply for an MBA, and I told them yes, in fact one of my reco's was my direct manager and I did seek the advice of an INSEAD alum who was a past direct manager. Not sure if this will matter to the adcom, but I think it probably played a part in showing my conviction towards an MBA.

In choosing your reco writers, it is less about whether they are your direct manager now and more about what they can write about you with respect to the questions. Go ahead and take a look at the questions and ask yourself if who you are asking to write the recos can represent you well. Do they know your real weaknesses? Do they know your leadership potential? Can they give you concrete examples or speak only in generalities? Is it second or third hand information they would be writing? Can they write about your leadership potential in a work context or is it only a volunteer context?

In the end, after you choose your reco letter writers, you just need good reasons in case someone asks. If you didn't choose a direct manager, explain why. If your only answer is "I didn't want to lose my bonus", then might make the interviewer think twice...
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Suker wrote:
Really don't worry too much about the interviews. Obviously it depends a bit on your interviewers, but mine and those of most other applicants I know were very relaxed. Felt more like a chat than a real interview and no strange questions. It felt like they just wanted to confirm that: (1) you are the one who wrote the application, (2) you're not a total prick, (3) you still kind of make sense in a normal conversation and more or less know what you're talking about, (4) you've got a good image of INSEAD, know a bit about the school and will fit in.

Harvard interview was definitely a lot more painful. Adcom questions were much harder and more focused (1 interview - 30 min), and it kind of felt like I had to really prove myself. INSEAD was a fun chat with 2 nice guys.

Thanks Suker... one more thing to add... you don't freeze up when you are in an interview with someone really senior. This was told to me by my "insider" interviewer who helped me prep.

So, that brings me to theory time:

Everyone, of your two interviewers, was one more senior than the other, or were both very senior? as in VP or higher? I'm assuming that for most ppl applying to INSEAD, a director is probably one rung up from your current position (ie you're probably already a manager, or work with directors regularly)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Guys,

Quick Q, when you giys go for an interview, do you offer your business cards to the Alumni, or does he or she offer the business card, if yes, then when, start of the interview or at the end of the interview. I am just trying to figure out the protocol.

Thanks...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
tryinghard wrote:
Guys,

Quick Q, when you giys go for an interview, do you offer your business cards to the Alumni, or does he or she offer the business card, if yes, then when, start of the interview or at the end of the interview. I am just trying to figure out the protocol.

Thanks...

In all 3 interviews (one for another school and 2 for INSEAD) I didn't offer/wasn't offered a business card. However, at the information sessions/networking events organised by the schools everyone I built rapport with offered their business card. Hope that helps...

That said, no harm having some just in case
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Yang,

Thanks for the information. You mentioned that you have been to the MBA fair, well I am planning to attend an MBA fair of INSEAD next month and would like to know the best way to capitalize the experience in Essays. I am planning to file me app in R2 Jan 2011 Intake.

I have not been on a campus visit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would like to know the experience of other candiates about visiting cards.

Cheers...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  70