Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:<strong>INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)</strong>
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: INSEAD - Dec '11 waitlist [#permalink]
Hi HS,
just my thoughts about these schools:

IMD - of course elite, but chances are slim given the size of the class
HEC - not elite at all (just my perception based on the communication with some alums)
IESE - good school, but I'm afraid that Spain will soon be at the same place where Greece is
Oxford, Cambridge - I'd explore them in more detail as I think they are quite good schools to be at
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
HankScorpio wrote:
Suker - Thanks for your thoughts... congrats on your HBS admit, and good luck on your quest to rule the world. ;)

SH and JZ - this is great stuff that we're sharing. I'm glad to see we're spinning this in the right way. It's definitely some reality checking at this point. But at least it affirms that we were good enough and top euro school material.

I am starting to get my plan B and plan C lined up - planted some seeds... I just need to water them and tend them with care. It's just too bad I couldn't put my plan A.1 and A.2 in place that would have financed school.

Speaking of next steps, any thoughts on schools I should consider out there? Naturally, I'm considering LBS. What are ppls' thoughts on the other Elite international schools?

Oxford (Said)
Cambridge (Judge)
HEC Paris
IMD
IESE

The reason why I'm asking you all is that many of you probably considered these schools, and fell in love with the idea of going to INSEAD for a lot of similar reasons as myself. Do HEC and IESE teach in English? Does the Oxbridge brand name carry any weight?

Kudos to all of you for your attitude in this thread and positive constructive mindset.

IMD is probably by far the most difficult to get in. They typically look for 30+ with quite some management experience. Unless you fit in that category, I'd go for Oxford, Cambridge and IESE, with a preference for Oxford / Cambridge. Only reason why I'd pick IESE over those, is if I would want to work in Spain. Then it's a no brainer. :-)
HEC is less strong than the other schools in my opinion, and has little brand value outside of France, while Oxford and Cambridge obviously do.

Why do you only consider non-US schools by the way?
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Suker wrote:

Why do you only consider non-US schools by the way?

Thanks for your constructive thoughts. I am very much interested in 1 year to 16 month programs. IMD is a draw since I already have pretty strong managerial experience ... I think if I make one more promotion at work, I'll probably swing for IMD. As for why not US schools, I don't have a strong interest to work in the US - I am looking to "round" myself out by spending time in another country with more people from other nationalities. I want to pick up another language or strengthen one of my existing ones. And I want to appreciate more international cuisine. :) I did consider H/S/W, and given my age (30) and my profile, H and S were close to out of the question. I think W is within grasp, but Philly is a pretty dead city from what I have been reading. I'm heading out there for a very short project in a few weeks, and I think that's about all my wife will be able to stand, let alone 2 years. It's kind of sad when the best shopping the city has to offer is a Macy's, and the best attraction is Al Capone's jail cell.

So, in summary, euro MBA = gets me closer to my life goals, makes me a more interesting person, and my wife will have a lot more to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

Just checking in with you guys, did you get a confirmation email from your co-ordinator confirming reciept of your decision to stay on (or off) the waitlist?

If you did, did they mention the date which you'd be considered until? Mine wrote to me saying I'd be considered until the start of class which was on 30th August.

That sounds to me like they mixed me in with the 2010 intake... anyone else recieve something along similar lines?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Send PM
yanka wrote:
Hi HS,
just my thoughts about these schools:

IMD - of course elite, but chances are slim given the size of the class
HEC - not elite at all (just my perception based on the communication with some alums)
IESE - good school, but I'm afraid that Spain will soon be at the same place where Greece is
Oxford, Cambridge - I'd explore them in more detail as I think they are quite good schools to be at

My 2Cs on these lines...HEC is definitely a 'No' for me atleast. I applied there in R4 (which coincided with R1 of INSEAD) and was rejected w/o an interview (probably with my profile, R4 was too late to apply). Furthermore, the quality of communication from the school was substandard and I know of an alumnus who didn't give a rosy picture of this school.

Oxbridge will be something I'm looking forward to because of the strong Consulting focus there. Not so sure of applying to LBS/IMD because of the tough entry criteria (another ding/WL will break my resolve :shock: :roll: ).

Apart from all these, I'm gonna try for ISB in India. Although not as big a brand as many of the European schools, it does carry a good weight in India, which in a longer term is the place where I want to settle. The only problem here's my GMAT score.

I came across a couple of names in Spain too. However, I'm not so convinced about applying there because of the current economic downturn. I need some more inputs about IESE et al.

So the bottomline is that this time I really need to be sure that I'm gonna start my MBA sometimes in 2011. Otherwise, it will almost be an end of road for me.

Cheers, SH
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Crezence wrote:
Hi all,

Just checking in with you guys, did you get a confirmation email from your co-ordinator confirming reciept of your decision to stay on (or off) the waitlist?

If you did, did they mention the date which you'd be considered until? Mine wrote to me saying I'd be considered until the start of class which was on 30th August.

That sounds to me like they mixed me in with the 2010 intake... anyone else recieve something along similar lines?

crezence, i got the same email as well with the same date. am gonna ask for a verification for the same, seems like the adcom has mixed the applications up. initially, i thought this mite mean the WL decision could be mixed up as well, but when i think about it logically, i doubt it. must be more of a case of sending the wrong email. let me know what reply u get from them.

to the rest of the folks - good to see we are beginning to pick ourselves and start looking ahead. in addition to the schools listed by HS, there r some 1 yr programs in NAM that might be interesting for some.

cornell has a 1yr accelerated mba for those who already have a masters degree (technical)

couple of schools in canada - ivey n queens, both have good brand recall in NAM, plus ivey is considered big in HK as well.

kelloggs has a 1yr program too - but they want u to gather a certain number of credits before u enroll. mite be tough for some to do so.

i am also keen on the 12 months programs, that pretty much rules out most of the US schools. i cannot afford LBS, cos of the longer program duration and the associated living expenses in london.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Crezence, wingman,

My confirmation for the waitlist noted Jan 10th. These people are probably using a copy/paste form letter and probably opened the wrong form when sending your email out. Probably a common enough mistake given the overlap between R4 J11 and R1 D11.

I've considered the Canadian schools, since I live right near them. Ivey is pretty solid locally, don't know how it's viewed internationally beyond HK. It is one of the feeder schools for the Canadian M/B/B practices.
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:INSEAD- D '11 Class
Send PM
Hey everyone. I hope you all had a great weekend. I took the weekend off and did nothing but relaxed. I watched some trashy reality TV shows and my brain appreciated the break.

Hank-out of the programs that you mentioned, I've considered HEC. I didn't consider any programs in Spain because I don't speak Spanish and don't intend to work in South America or Spain post grad. I didn't consider oxford or cambridge either- maybe I should look into them. I decided to no appply to HEC since I got the impression that its MBA program is not its strongest. I think HEC is well ranked because it has a very solid undergrad business program. I also didn't choose HEC because of the overall feel of it. I visited the campus last Oct and I felt it was very dumpy - in comparison to that of INSEAD or IMD. I know it is not a good reason to not select a school based on the campus but if I have to be studying there for 16 months, I better like my surroundings.

Anyway, let's hang in there. I think after R1 deposit deadline passes, there should be some movement to the waitlist....
Send PM
Credenze - any news from IMD? Good luck! :0)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks JZhang! Should know sometime this week... the wait is even worse than last week!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Engineering - Logistics
Schools:INSEAD - Jan 2011
Send PM
For your information, I asked my coordinator and interviewers for feedback, and these are the answers I got:

- coordinator: no feedback, but if you want to add something to your file, send it.
- interviewer 1: quota problem, hang in there!
- interviewer 2: he had been waitlisted and had to start all over again the following year, but same reaction: add updates to your profile if you think it will help...

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rakham wrote:
For your information, I asked my coordinator and interviewers for feedback, and these are the answers I got:

- coordinator: no feedback, but if you want to add something to your file, send it.
- interviewer 1: quota problem, hang in there!
- interviewer 2: he had been waitlisted and had to start all over again the following year, but same reaction: add updates to your profile if you think it will help...

Hope that helps!

similar feedback from my coordinator. if there is any update, send in. non-committal on any other points. from the last couple of intake posts, there were some who stayed on till R3 deadlines and then opted out to reapply for the next intake. in some cases the school offered candidates the option to re-apply when they took them off the waitlist...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Here is some info from a blog of Russian guy waitlisted in 2008 and got some info about it from AdCom

maybe it will help someone

1. INSEAD waitlist is short, comparatively speaking; it won't change much as it depends also on the number of admitted people accepting offers.
2. Behavior, that takes away from WL applicant’s chances - overly frequent and uninformative contact that doesn't add value to your application.
3. Good news: INSEAD don't rank the waitlist as such, but do review the waitlist periodically and only keep candidates on the waitlist who have a chance of being confirmed.
4. The waitlist is used to manage diversity. Diversity is not only a question of nationality but also of gender, professional experience, educational background, etc.
5. Letters of support from INSEAD students and alumni are well accepted, but if they only add additional dimension to the file, no need for additional data if it is just repetitions of info we have already.
6. GMAT score of those, who are already accepted: 600 - 780, Age: 23-28 (hmmmm ....)
7. And some more statistics: INSEAD has made less than 5 offers for those in waitlist by March 19, 2008.

unquote
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Less than 5 offers seems scary. There are atleast 10 candidates on WL on this board I would assume that there would be atleast 50 WLed in R1. % of WLs converted into admits seems very low < 10%.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
After thinking about this for a while.. I'm gonna withdraw from the waitlist. Goodluck!
Send PM
Good morning, everyone!

Credenze - hang in there! The wait is tough but you are almost there! :0)

Dronap - thanks for digging up the info. Interestingly one of the admits from J 11 class who was waitlisted in R2 said that he/she didn't do anything special to get off of the list. So yeah, i think we can all expect that luck will play the biggest role in us moving off the waitlist.

Artgirl- I think you are very right in concluding that the chance to get off of the waitlist is slim but it is there. So I guess we can prepare for the worst but hope for the best right?

GoBruins - sad to hear that you will drop off, what is your plan B? Will you apply again next year?

Everyone, I am in a really chipper mood today cuz it's my birthday. :0) It has been really cool getting to know you guys on this forum. Let's hang in there. Hoepfully a few of us will get to go to INSEAD. And the rest of us can rely on each other's support in deciding which plan b to pursue.

Thanks for all of your input and support. I don't know how I would have managed being on the wait-list without our little community!

JZ
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Engineering - Logistics
Schools:INSEAD - Jan 2011
Send PM
JZHANG2008 wrote:
Everyone, I am in a really chipper mood today cuz it's my birthday. :0)

Happy B-day! I hope you'll get a nice present, like a phone call... :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13