Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
wiredo wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
wiredo wrote:
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm planning to do the same thing for essay #3. Because the question is based on your entire application package, it would be logical for them to read #3 last.

Just returned from the MBA Admissions Panel in Boston where Kellogg, among other schools, was present. Met with Jessica Seymour, Assistant Director of Admissions, and got this question answered. She said she can't speak for the other admissions officers, but she, for one, WILL be reading the essays in sequence. When I presented the dilemma of introducing material in essay 3 referenced in essay 4, she gave me the following pointers:
- Don't repeat yourself
- Make each essay stand on its own, if possible, and present new information (I think she said dimensions) to the application.

Oh well, so much for my original plan. But, at least I know what to do now.

That's very helpful - thanks for the info Wiredo.

Side note: I visited Kellogg earlier this year and Jessica Seymour's presentation and Q&A session was the most informative of all the schools I visited.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
well i visited the fair in philadelphia, the adcom from kellogg was particular about not repeating examples in the application. She mentioned that they read the application as a whole and that includes reading the essays in a sequence.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
emr23 wrote:
Jerz or any other Kellogg folk reading this thread - is there anywhere on the school's website to obtain this year's recommendation form, or do I just need to wait until the application is live? I'm trying to get details out to my recommenders to give them plenty of time before the R1 deadline. I have last year's version from the 2010 app thread but would love to give them the current one in case something has changed.

I believe the forms have to be filled out online, so you'd have to wait until the application is live. However, if you're just looking to give the recommender an idea of what they'll need to talk about, using last year's forms should be ok. The questions/items shouldn't change too much year to year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Any one applying for the 1Y program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Do you think there is an overlap in the "Why MBA" part of questions 1 and 2? I know the second question specifically asks about leadership areas we hope to develop, but isn't MBA all about leadership development anyway? I mean how can you motivate your desire for an MBA without talking about leadership in q1?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
Jerz wrote:

There was a pretty big debate on this in last year's Kellogg thread, so you may want to check out that discussion for some perspective. Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on whether it's 3rd or 1st person or whether it introduces new information. Bottom line, Kellogg is a very participative school and fit with that culture is an important aspect of admissions. This is your chance to demonstrate that fit and talk about how you're going to contribute to Kellogg if you get admitted.

I'd have to agree with Jerz. I'm through my 2nd drafts for all four Kellogg essays, and for essay three I decided to focus on what makes me unique. I also used this essay to demonstrate cultural fit and to outline how I'd contribute to the Kellogg community (based on my research, etc).

Also, my tone for this essay is more personal, as compared to slightly more professional for the first two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
horrorshow wrote:
Do you think there is an overlap in the "Why MBA" part of questions 1 and 2? I know the second question specifically asks about leadership areas we hope to develop, but isn't MBA all about leadership development anyway? I mean how can you motivate your desire for an MBA without talking about leadership in q1?

No, I don't think there is an overlap. Essay 1 is more about short-term/long-term goals, and how an MBA fits in. There may be a leadership component to your story here, but you'd want to ensure you're presenting fresh information, different from what you're sharing in Essay 2.
Current Student
Send PM
Online application is... well... online. :shock: Good luck to all of us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
What is the consensus opinion on Kellogg's strength in IB and IM recruiting? I know that their specialty is Consulting and Mktg, but I've heard drastically different things about their strength in finance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Moss wrote:
What is the consensus opinion on Kellogg's strength in IB and IM recruiting? I know that their specialty is Consulting and Mktg, but I've heard drastically different things about their strength in finance.

I have a vague recollection of the discussions that have taken place over the past couple of years, but I'll share it with you. For IB, all of the recruiters that visit Booth will also visit Kellogg. If I'm not mistaken, IM is a little more selective and may favor the stronger finance schools like Booth.

As is the case with most industries, the big players tend to recruit at all of the top schools, but the boutiques are a little more selective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Embeayy wrote:

I'd have to agree with Jerz. I'm through my 2nd drafts for all four Kellogg essays, and for essay three I decided to focus on what makes me unique. I also used this essay to demonstrate cultural fit and to outline how I'd contribute to the Kellogg community (based on my research, etc).

Also, my tone for this essay is more personal, as compared to slightly more professional for the first two.

Since the third essay prompt mentions the student member perspective, do you guys think the response should be in third person? I mean does it need to sound like a recommendation by the student member - "Candidate X is ...."? . I personally don't like the third person narrative since it depersonalizes a lot of details (at least that's what I think) but just wondering if that's the expected format for this particular essay.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Still deciding between R1 or R2! Count me in for R2, will update if that changes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Send PM
This may have probably been answered before, but I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify it again. How strictly are we expected to adhere to the word limits on the essays? If its a 600 word limit is it ok to stretch it to 620, 630, 650?
Current Student
Send PM
General question for the group.

Part 1 of Kellogg's app asks for extracurriculars (pre and post undergrad). Have you included the same ECs in your resume? I'd prefer to include... but not sure if there's a concensus one way or another.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
Moss wrote:

I have a vague recollection of the discussions that have taken place over the past couple of years, but I'll share it with you. For IB, all of the recruiters that visit Booth will also visit Kellogg. If I'm not mistaken, IM is a little more selective and may favor the stronger finance schools like Booth.

As is the case with most industries, the big players tend to recruit at all of the top schools, but the boutiques are a little more selective.

That's pretty accurate. All the big players that come to Booth also come to Kellogg. The biggest difference you'd see between Kellogg and a traditional "finance" school is how extensive the alumni network is in finance. You may only find a couple Kellogg alums at the firms you're looking at while you'll find a lot more from Booth, Wharton, Columbia, etc.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
LEtranger wrote:
This may have probably been answered before, but I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify it again. How strictly are we expected to adhere to the word limits on the essays? If its a 600 word limit is it ok to stretch it to 620, 630, 650?

Try and stick as closely to the limits as possible. No reader is going to sit there and count words, but if your essays are noticeably and consistently over the limit it will not look good for you.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
RogerDodger wrote:
General question for the group.

Part 1 of Kellogg's app asks for extracurriculars (pre and post undergrad). Have you included the same ECs in your resume? I'd prefer to include... but not sure if there's a concensus one way or another.

You'll generally want to avoid duplicating information in multiple places in the app. You only get a finite amount of space to sell your candidacy so use it wisely. My suggestion would be not to restate the ECs on your resume and instead use the resume space to talk more about accomplishments at work. Or, if you have a big accomplishment at an EC that doesn't fit well into the EC section then include that on your resume.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  179   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts