Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: 690 (48/36) -MUST READ STORY- [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Удачи!

Russian? What be it meaning?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
bb wrote:
Удачи!

Russian? What be it meaning?

It means good luck.

(Это означает, удачи.)
:lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
LOL. Since when did you learn Russian?!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
LOL. Since when did you learn Russian?!

Since I have been saying ' Sari Sari ' :P
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Financier- sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. 690 is still a very good score. It sounds like you know exactly what to do next time- just rest up and stay fresh on GMAT for the next 31 days, and you'll be fine!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Rochester Institute of Technology
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
A kudo for the story and good luck with your retake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Good luck with the retake. I am sure you would do better this time.
Very helpful retrospection though :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Good score, good luck man!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Could you please answer the quest below?

When do you plan to retake the test?

How long have you prepared for the test?

What's your background (science or arts)?

How did you prepare for SC? Did you also read some books on grammar?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
When do you plan to retake the test?
I'll retake the TEST between October 11th and October 20th. (I have my TOEFL scheduled this Saturday).

How long have you prepared for the test?
Several months of hard work (my English was not good enough for the Test before preparation, although it was sufficient for business).

What's your background (science or arts)?
Background: I'm an engineer, but work in sales and media.

How did you prepare for SC? Did you also read some books on grammar?
I memorized Manhattan SC and now I'm trying to find PowerscoreSC Bible available in PDF to memorize it too :) :) :)
(I can not buy it a paper mode because it would take many days to come to me).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your answers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Btw, my AWA result has arrived with 5.0 score. Not bat indeed, because I felt that I did poorly:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Re: 690 ( 48 / 36 / AWA 5.0 ) -MUST READ STORY- [#permalink]
Financier wrote:
Ladies and Gents,

There is a short story how I scored miserable 690 yesterday rather than decent 730+ because of my greediness for knowledge. I'm Russian, 28 years old, managerial. The story of my studying is not unlike to those of most of you and yet it is. Hopefully, a short debrief will be helpful to some of you. First of all, doing CATs and paper tests, I focused on understanding the concepts and not on the speed. And I bet that the approach is good because the quality begets quality and not vise versa. I stopped stop-watches every time I encountered a difficult question and resumed the test after digesting the challenge. This approach helped me to improve my speed very much and will help you.

Materials I used:
MGMAT SC
CR Bible
OG10
OG12
Kaplan_800
LSAT1000RC - I strongly suggest that you do ALL 1000 questions and do them with a timer.
LSAT1000CR - I found the questions too difficult and do not think that GMAT’s answers are dug so deeply.

CATs I used and what I think about them:
PowerPrep - Pretty representative Math and very easy Verbal compared to the actual test.
MGMAT 1-6 – good but convoluted math, decent verbal.
Knewton - Very easy verbal compared to the actual test. Moreover, the scoring algoritm is weird.
Princeton - Oversimplified questions in both sections. Do not be complacent if you score well in Princeton, try representative tests.
Mc Graw - The same story as with Princeton.
GMAT Club Tests - yet to try.
Kaplan - yet to try.

One day to my Test Day.
Three days beforу the exam I felt that I could solve almost every Math question except for some ultra-difficult ones and made my first mistake: I did not decrease the amount of time I had been spending in front of the computer because I wanted to go through all interesting questions I had solved before - I just wanted to refresh the approaches. After refreshing the Math I could not stop and went on with OG_12's SCs, then I practised with AWA. Just one day before the Test I sat at 2 p.m. and did one real CAT - just to accustom myself to the conditions and to the time-slot. After the CAT I came back to SCs. As you can see, I foolishly overloaded my eyes.

Test Day.
I felt so-so after the night, took breakfast, went for a walk, did some stuff and headed to the test-center. In front of the test-center I noticed that my energy was below the normal level, but I believed that my strong determination for success and my favorite energetic that I drink would boost my energy. Quite the opposite was going to happen.

AWA.
After registration I received very convenient writing pads and markers and, noticing that my eyes felt uncomfortable, I started the deal. There came the first trouble - I felt such a discomfort in my eyes that I had to reread the statements a couple of times - I simply did not feel comfortable with the screen. Considering both essays my failure because I did not show the best game I could, I calmed myself with the thoughts that adcoms would not bother themselves to look at my bad AWA result after seeing my soaring Math and Verbal scores; than I took a break. After washing the face and drinking a small amount of sugar water (we remember that the bladder is a vulnerability on our Test Day), I pressed the button.

Math.
The first 8 or ten questions were solved in seconds with minimum writing and then the eye fatigue came with mental block. The questions were of a moderate difficulty, but I could not concentrate on them, especially, on translating word problems into human language. Every question was very easy but I had to spend up to 3 minutes on each due to eye fatigue and mental block. In the middle of the Math my mental abilities evaporated, I understood that I had failed the test and, having been extremely angry, I steered all my emotions at one word question of a type I had not seen before and decided to crack it at any cost – I eagered revenge. I cracked it and enormous excitement revived me! I forgot about 250 dollars a had paid for the Test, I forgot about my admission being at stake (what admission are we talking about with such a mediocre performance?), I just wanted to annihilate, completely destroy those questions. There were only me and them. Yes, time was pressuring me and I, wanting to sell my life as expensive as possible, skipping long and convoluted questions, was carefully selecting my next victims. To my regret, in 10 seconds toward the end of the test, I saw a convoluted question, which simply asked to find a distance between a line and and a point (one of my favorite operations). After a quick glance on the timer and noticing only a a handful of seconds left, I ruled out two options and made a guess.

Verbal.
I washed the face, drunk my sugar water and dived into verbal, which welcomed me with ultra-difficult SCs. After wasting about 6 minutes on 3 SCs I mentioned growing eye and mental fatigue. Looking back, I must say that all SCs were brutal, CRs were very straightforward and RC were pretty enjoyable, but I had to reread the questions multiple times because I was completely exhausted. Needless to say that I run out of time and had to guess the last 9 questions. When it came to choose whether to cancel the test or to look at the results, I thought that I was strong enough to learn that I had scored below 550 and pressed “Yes” button. But 690 appeared on the screen.

Definitely, I did not perfomed on such a score. I think the only explanation of such an overrated result is that, due to a crazy coincidence, all the questions I skipped or did wrongly were among experimental questions. Because I’m not among those who think that GMAT can grant you 690 for almost 50% wrong questions. And definitely, my mediocre result is attributable to my low energy level on the Test Day.

What are the main takeaways from my experience?
1). Math is compared to that presented in OG. Yes, if you score well, you will face some more tough questions, but all of them will have straightforward shortcuts. I’ve spend much time preparing for math and must admit that Bunuel offers very good explanations and I advise you to look at what he says – he is Guru and his explanations are always fit the bills and are much better that those in MGMAT’s CATS.
2). Do not even hope to save some time on SC questions in favor of RC passages because SCs are made to prevent such attempts.
3). Do not be greedy for knowledge and make sure your eyes are ready to stare at a low quality monitor for four hours – this is a challenge. The quality of monitor matters.
4). Writing pads and markers and great and convenient.
5). The test is commanding, but easy if you are ready.
6). Wash you face every break.
7). And the thing of the utmost importance: Do nothing except for one CAT a day prior to the Test Day. Only relax and visualize your 750+ results.

Epilogue.
I took hard the result of the Test into which I’ve invested a substantial amount of time, energy, and money and will come back in a month. Freshed, relaxed and concentrated at the same time. By the way, I need several kudos to gain access to GMATClub Tests and would greatly appreciate if you, friends, could help me to acquire them. Thank you.

Hi,
Very good debrief.My Kudos to you.I appreciate your mental strength which allowed you to perform even in the odds.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
You don't think your score is good enough for LBS? Only slightly below their average. Also with your international experience W or C would probably take you too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hi Financier,

How did you sleep the night before test? It seems to me you had a rough time sleeping and you weren't fully awake, hence the perceived difficulty of the test. Your brain wasn't working 100%.

You experience mimics mine a few years ago with GRE. I had the same feelings the day of the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I would say you still scored better under such circumstances. I too appeared for the test on sept15th with a situation worst than urs. I had to travel consecutively for 2 nights before the test day and I arrived at my base station at 11AM and headed for the test at 1PM. Imagine all the strain I faced due to the two 12 hr train journeys. And at the end GMAT bombed me. All my preparation of last 4 months ended up at a meager 600 :-( verbal was doomed V26. Scared to book the next date untill I start scoring 40+ in verbal.
Any tips for improving verbal for non native English speakers?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Thanks for the brief +1 from me All the best for the next attempt
GMAT Club Bot