Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 02:06 It is currently 07 May 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: keep bombing the real exam though practice is >700 [#permalink]
no for real. if you're scoring 700's and then scoring mid 600's on the GMAT then we got a problem. I understand that it's sometimed skewed a little bit but you took it 3 times and still did this? Something is wrong. I can understand if it was once or twice but three times? maybe it's just bad luck but i doubt it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I know exactly what you mean. I first took the GMAT back in April'10 and scored a 460 (27V, 27Q). One month later, after no studying at all with the exception of taking two GMATprep exams i scored a 570 (30 V, 38 Q). After reviewing admissions trends, i decided it was in my best interest to take the GMAT for a third time and figured i should focus 100% of my efforts on quant since quant is a lot easier to improve on. i was a bit confused when on the actual exam i scored a 550 (39 V, 27 Q) and a 6.0 on my AWA, especially considering i did zero prep on verbal other than taking practice tests. Only thing i could thing of if i did manage to "figure out" the RC section before my last GMATprep and the score was pretty consistent (practice vs. actual), though the quant wasn't.

Anyway, i am planning on taking the GMAT for a 4th time in two weeks, my GMATprep scores have been between 600-650 and have averaged about a 620. We will see how i do this time around with zero studying.

I do believe there some truth to the negative correlation between studying and actual results. if you look at many folks who took actual GMATs it seems as if they get one "big jump" and the rest of their scored hover around a certain level.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
true. I think a lot of people let their nerves get the best of them. For me, a lot of it is just about tricking myself into believing that this is just another mock exam and nothing to worry about. Will be taking it for my second time after getting a 430. Scoring in the same area of averaged 620. Highest has been 660.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
vwjetty wrote:
true. I think a lot of people let their nerves get the best of them. For me, a lot of it is just about tricking myself into believing that this is just another mock exam and nothing to worry about. Will be taking it for my second time after getting a 430. Scoring in the same area of averaged 620. Highest has been 660.

I agree that people let their nerves get the best of them, I also believe you need to go into the GMAT with low expectations. People can't go into the GMAT expecting a certain score, there are too many variables that can't be accounted for during prep.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
GoMannschaftGo wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

I agree that people let their nerves get the best of them, I also believe you need to go into the GMAT with low expectations. People can't go into the GMAT expecting a certain score, there are too many variables that can't be accounted for during prep.

so true.

I'm averaging about 620 (like you) so I'm going in with the expectation of getting around that. Who knows, maybe higher maybe lower.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Dude, I am in a similar boat. April 2010 - 680, Prior to that was averaging 710 on the GMAT Preps. August 2010 - 690 where as I was averaging 750 on the GMAT Preps. The only difference is that I was not doing following the true test timings. I think endurance is a very important thing and nervousness + endurance does make a difference at the test. Also by now you have seen enough questions in the GMAT Prep so you are bound to get common. Scores will be off and dont trust them 100%. I recommend that you retake the Manhattan CAT's again under timed conditions and see what is going wrong.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
vwjetty wrote:

again :-D :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
GoMannschaftGo wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

so true. i went in with expecting a 690 since that was knewton's guarantee but got slightly higher.
I still believe studying is the key but if you reach a "plateau" in studying perhaps try a different method of information intake. Hire a tutor explain, take online courses etc to have the information shown to you differently. I mean i studied like 3 months or so with breaks for first test got a 640. i felt i read the books thoroughly so i decided on an online course and the live explanation clicked for me - at least got me to understand the verbal basics and i got my score increase. If i kept hitting my head against the wall by re-reading the books I doubt I wouldve gone anywhere - so in that aspect studying wouldnt have helped....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
GoMannschaftGo wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

so true. i went in with expecting a 690 since that was knewton's guarantee but got slightly higher.
I still believe studying is the key but if you reach a "plateau" in studying perhaps try a different method of information intake. Hire a tutor explain, take online courses etc to have the information shown to you differently. I mean i studied like 3 months or so with breaks for first test got a 640. i felt i read the books thoroughly so i decided on an online course and the live explanation clicked for me - at least got me to understand the verbal basics and i got my score increase. If i kept hitting my head against the wall by re-reading the books I doubt I wouldve gone anywhere - so in that aspect studying wouldnt have helped....

How did you improve your Verbal so dramatically: from 29 to 39? Is it Knewton's help?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts