Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Send PM
Re: Low GPA, what to do? [#permalink]
Kudos
syog wrote:
Hi bakfed,

I am also suffering with the same disease...Low GPA. When people advise to enroll for other corses to compensate the LOW GPA, I am perplexed..what are these courses??? It might be a very trivial question but the one which I am not able to answer.
Can you please provide some pointers?

Generally speaking, most top business schools are pretty quant-heavy. Also, generally speaking, most b-schools require or assume that students have the basic knowledge of first-year college calculus and statistics. These courses are, obviously, extremely quant-heavy. If you did not have a chance to take these courses in college, I'd highly recommend you taking them. Besides calculus and statistics, there are always macroeconomics, microeconomics, finance, and accounting courses that may peak your interest. Remember - it's not about what you take, but it's about what you can show the adcom and the grades you get. Do you have to take all of the listed courses? No. But it would definitely help support your idea of going to b-school where these courses are usually the core courses that students have to take. Again, if time is an issue, I'd say that calculus and statistics are the two things that should be taken. If time allows, then you can dig deeper into some sort of finance courses.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
oh, and, an 800 on GMAT would definitely be icing on the cake. =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bakfed, thats a nice piece of advice. Wanted to ask you a question though, do you think spending time improving your GMAT score (as you've done) is a better option than taking a course and scoring A's in that. I mean afterall you spend your time studying for both. And an advantage in case of GMAT is I only need to better understand the content and keep practicing to increase my chances for getting a high score.

Now suppose after doing all this one does get a good score after a retake, do you think the Adcom would still ask for the other attributes of leadership and better transcripts to beat the low GPA?

Look forward to your reply.

-Abhi
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
same disease. check my profile specs :-)
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Thank you everyone.

Can you please let me know if there is any online course I can apply?

Oh yes, I m planning to apply for MBA next year so I think I have plenty of time to take any course but only online. One thing more I have covered Statistics and other quant stuff in my under-grad. So, is it wise to take that again? Or should I concentrate on Mirco-economics or economics, the course to which I'm alien?

I do have very good leadership and community work record.

Please suggest any online course please.

Thank you Bakfed once again for all the help..
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This is one of those uses for the optional essay.

Make the rest of your app strong (GMAT, letters of rec, essays, etc.) and then use the optional essay to explain the circumstances surrounding your GPA.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
abhi758 wrote:
Bakfed, thats a nice piece of advice. Wanted to ask you a question though, do you think spending time improving your GMAT score (as you've done) is a better option than taking a course and scoring A's in that. I mean afterall you spend your time studying for both. And an advantage in case of GMAT is I only need to better understand the content and keep practicing to increase my chances for getting a high score.

Now suppose after doing all this one does get a good score after a retake, do you think the Adcom would still ask for the other attributes of leadership and better transcripts to beat the low GPA?

Look forward to your reply.

-Abhi

I don't think there's going to be any specific calculations to how much weight GMAT carries and how much weight several additional business-oriented courses carry. A higher GMAT is always a good thing, but if one is trying to get a 730 froma 710, I'd say the difference is nominal, if any. Having said that, I personally believe that the GMAT will carry a bit more weight since it's the only thing that puts you on a standardized scale as everyone else. No matter what, AdComs will want to see leadership ability, no doubt about that. Whether a super high GMAT can offset a low GPA, that's really going to be anyone else's guess. If you got a super high GMAT and don't have the time to take a few classes, you should definitely address the low GPA in the optional essay.

Just wanted to throw this thought in - there's no guarantee that you WILL get in even if you have a high GMAT and took several courses online to offset a lower GPA, but it helps to a certain extent.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
willigetmylifeback wrote:
Thank you everyone.

Can you please let me know if there is any online course I can apply?

Oh yes, I m planning to apply for MBA next year so I think I have plenty of time to take any course but only online. One thing more I have covered Statistics and other quant stuff in my under-grad. So, is it wise to take that again? Or should I concentrate on Mirco-economics or economics, the course to which I'm alien?

I do have very good leadership and community work record.

Please suggest any online course please.

Thank you Bakfed once again for all the help..

I think through UCLA extension, you are able to take classes online (check with other folks as well as I never have been through the re-taking process [I really should have though...]). I can't tell you whether it's wise to retake that. Did you get A's in them? If you did, you probably shouldn't waste your time on these courses again. If you had received C's, yes, you should retake. If I were you, I'd go online and check out some business courses that may interest you. The ones I listed are simply te ones that popped in my head. I would hate for you to take microecon and only to find out that advanced algebra is what you're interested in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q47 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
I am also having a very low GPA (I should have studied in my college :oops: ) and a decent GMAT score ( 700 ) , though I plan to give the test another shot.

The idea of doing some extra courses sound good. Could some one throw more light on this...

What kind of correspondence institutes I should Aim? (I am from India)

Is CFA level I a good option?

What other courses would make my application impressive?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
I'm not too sure exactly how students in India can take some additional courses; perhaps there are institutes in India that offers such classes? I really am not sure. In terms of what courses, again, as long as it's quant-related and to your interest, it'll be good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q47 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Thanks for the instant reply, I am trying to inquire about some of suitable courses in India.

I am also planning to take level I of CFA https://www.cfainstitute.org/Pages/index.aspx , which is an international course. I hope that clearing level I will have some positive effect on my profile as I want to peruse MBA in finance.
GMAT Club Bot