Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 18:31 It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: A demoralizing GMAT score- Someone help [#permalink]
Don't be disheartened with a 330. Rather take this as an opportunity to learn.This low a GMAT score should serve as a wake-up call for you .Introspect why did you perform this poorly. Write down whatever thoughts come in your mind. The reasons may vary over an entire range of spectrum ranging from lack of strategy to psychological reasons such as anxiety,lack of concentration. You've to be very brutal with yourself in the analysis.
You said that you "reviewed" the OG10, MGMAT etc. I'd rather not use the word "reviewed" when preparing for the GMAT because the recommended topics and the books have to be "chewed",understood so that you're able to able the GMAT concepts in your daily life also.
I'd not recommend using the Princeton material for the GMAT. It's good enough to get just an average score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 939 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bookmarks
Friend,

I read somewhere that GMAT really doesn't test how good your math or verbal is, but how good you are at taking the GMAT. The trick is to learn GMAT inside out, identify your weak areas, use all of the helpful techniques suggested in this forum and finally, get your confidence up. GMAT is full of simple math concepts which require some thinking and comprehension, but nothing out of this world. Same with the verbal part. If you use proper study techniques, you will beat it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
Kudos
Have somebody whom you both trust with your feelings and find intelligent (somebody like a former GMAT taker that got around the score you want would be perfect) take a CAT with you. Try to do one that is UNTIMED. Talk through your process as you work. Have them take the test on paper with you as you work. Move ponderously from one question to the next.

You might come to find out that you are simply making careless errors or not understanding certain question types, like data sufficiency.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
+1 for rockzom's idea!!! You should try that.
Don't be disheartened. I see that this is your 1st post here. Be more active in this forum, there are many folks here who will be able to help you.

It is very difficult to provide input with so little information. My suggestion is to get more organized and learn topic-wise. There are plenty of forums here that provides strategies for any span of preparation (1 month to maybe more than a year), there are many other tools too. Get yourself familiar with this forum and like rockzom said take a test along with a former GMAT taker. That way you will get an idea about the time you will require, then plan and execute. You will reach your aim, don't worry! Best of luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
i think you would the kind of candidate that would benefit most from a course if you really wanted to sit down and do it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
First and foremost, I like to say thank you! I appreciate the utmost support from everyone. I will try my best to answer everyone’s questions and then briefly talk about my study habits, test anxiety, and future strategy.

Study Habits

My initial strategy was to dive into the GMAT blind. I purchased Princeton Review’s Cracking the GMAT and read every page. Next, I enrolled myself into Princeton Review’s GMAT course. After reviewing the material and taking the course, I realized that I learned a great deal about shortcuts but nothing about the fundamental concepts in the GMAT. I got my butt kicked in the course yet I did not miss a class. Then, the GMAT tutor advised me to read more books and review Princeton Review’s “Grammar Smart.” I read extensively and reviewed other grammatical books.
A friend then referred me to look at the MGMAT. Until then, I realized that the MGMAT provided fundamental concepts in detail. So I review certain parts of the MGMAT; primarily concepts that I felt most uncomfortable with.

To clarify, I suffer from a case of low concentration and text anxiety. Whether I am working or studying, my span of attention is thin; it stems from having a million thoughts that transpire in my head. I would like to defeat this battle but don’t know what else to do. Taking adderall in the past has helped, but I rather find a different solution than resort to a tablet every day.

Aside from my lack of focus, text anxiety has been another issue. The anxiety went into full effect a week before my official test date. The anxiety lasted up until the end of the exam. Thoughts that came to my mind included failure and regret. Furthermore, I fear of looking stupid among my colleagues and failing in life. Then I think about how I am wasting my time & money for a loss cause (pursuit of an MBA @ top school.) In addition, I get into a panic of regret. My childhood memories ignite. I think about the times that I chose to skip my English classes or cheat on difficult exams. Every shortcut that I took throughout my education has definitely caught up to me. In essence, these thoughts channel through my head and distract my thinking process during the GMAT exam.

I am almost certain that these two issues affected my score. During the test, I tried my best to focus on the exam. Occasionally, I snapped my fingers and wrote words down as soon as my thought-process got sidetracked. I would appreciate it if someone had solutions to these two issues.

Also, I felt rushed through a lot of problems. I think I left 3 math questions and 2 verbal questions unanswered. 65% into test, I realized that I still had a ton of problems left. So, I rushed through my answers to finish. I guessed about 7-10 questions in each section. If there wasn't a time limit on the GMAT- then I would most likely score higher.

I made a commitment to relearn what I've skipped in my youth. This is my opportunity to make things right and learn! I will try Rockzon’s advice and ask my roommate to examine while I take a practice test. Next I will “chew” each section one at a time. I will start with MGMAT’s Sentence Section. Also, in attempt to improve my writing skills, I purchased “Elements of Writing” by Neil Strauss. Thank you everyone! You all have given me strength to mentally fight and conquer this journey.
P.S - Can someone proof read my post and highlight any grammatical mistakes? (Tense, subject –verb, idioms etc...) I need to catch my bad tendencies and retrain my thought process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
I'm wondering about your scores during practice tests. Practice tests are 'true' indicators of your final GMAT score. Though real GMAT may vary from practice test but not a great deal. How was your performance during practice tests? As rishiraj mentioned, you've to be brutally honest with yourself for self-analysis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, finance
WE 1: Business Development Manger
WE 2: Assistant Manager-Carbon Trading
WE 3: Manager-Carbon Trading
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Friend,

I also had a case like you.the The first time I gave my GMAT on Gmat prep my score was 350, I was shocked to see that,after one month of prepration nothing much improved My score reached 450.I realized that I have not focussed on all topics properly.I studied them again and worked hard on maths and verbal especially because English is not my native langauge.In my third month my score reached 560(STILL i HAVE A LOT TO IMPROVE my exam is in DEC !!! ).I am still working hard on my Verbal and avoiding mistakes in Quant.
The best suggestion that I can give is practice! practice ! practice never give up.Read all the concepts carefully.I also use oG12 and Kaplan CD for tests on which I have score 510 till know.

I hope this might help you a bit ....All the best for your exam.
............................................................................................
The price of Discipline is always less than the pain of regret.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
dedicatedgmat101 wrote:
P.S - Can someone proof read my post and highlight any grammatical mistakes? (Tense, subject –verb, idioms etc...) I need to catch my bad tendencies and retrain my thought process.

Lol! No ,dude! You didn't make any noticeable grammatical mistakes .Your english seems fine,that means you'll have to work on the logical and psychological parts.
Nice writeup,by the way ! You'll succeed, bet I must! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've narrowed down my strategy. Now, I will focus on the Verbal Section - Sentence Corrections.

Can someone recommend a good strategy to improve my score?

Currently, I'm re-reading MGMAT's Sentence Correction - Guide 8. At times, I feel like this is a waste of time because I understand the concepts. Should I just practice a lot of problems and then learn from my mistakes?

Are there any other books that I should review?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Definitely practice. It's the only way you'll develop familiarity with the test.

Kobe isn't great because he has inherent skill. He's great because he watches game tape night in and night out.

dedicatedgmat101 wrote:
I've narrowed down my strategy. Now, I will focus on the Verbal Section - Sentence Corrections.

Can someone recommend a good strategy to improve my score?

Currently, I'm re-reading MGMAT's Sentence Correction - Guide 8. At times, I feel like this is a waste of time because I understand the concepts. Should I just practice a lot of problems and then learn from my mistakes?

Are there any other books that I should review?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I think you should take a two pronged approach - read the guide and work on the problems side by side. But before all that, you should also try to review your Quant skills. I would probably recommend taking a structured course like Knewton's (it's cheap and efficient, from what I hear) in order to make sure you're attacking all the angles of the GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot