Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
@gingertea yea, count me in for R2
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

As a public service, I'd like to let you all know that CEIBS has waitlisted me for consideration in the 2nd round. A decision on my application will be made no later than April 2, 2011. Did anyone else get placed in the same boat? In a way, this decision doesn't surprise me too much. It's not what I wanted but my background is very alternative. I'm absolutely certain that I would have been admitted if I'd been working at the moment, which I'm not...and haven't done for quite some time due to difficult global conditions.

But if I did have a job at the moment, I certainly wouldn't find it prudent to leave paid employment to matriculate in business school when the world is on the brink of the Greatest Depression. I'd miss out on the opportunity cost of lost salary, experience, and potential promotion. Furthermore, unless one plans to head back to one's company after completing the MBA, one would likely experience significant difficulty finding a decent job post-graduation in such a tough market as we've got looming. This will be the case in nearly all sectors. And if one were to find a job after graduation, then one would be among the first to be laid off in such a market as new hires are often the first to go

Yes, China's growth will certainly add value to the CEIBS degree and provide post-graduation opportunities. Having additional education may also help provide some job security in the tough times that are coming. I know some may be thinking that I'm being a bit cynical and paradoxical in my views toward seeking an MBA in light my negative expectations of global economic fortunes. However, what's really cynical about trying to obtain an MBA is that it's a lot like marriage...no money, no honey!

What results did the rest of you receive? I know CEIBS accepted quite a few South Asians who work at big name companies in India although these peeps don't speak a lick of Chinese and have never been to East Asia. Feel free to flare back at me...

Ciao!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just to keep the thread going I have also been admitted to UST FT '11 intake. I was interviewed 2-3 weeks ago and received notice this week. For those from R1 who are worried about a ding at this point there's still a shot!

Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to getting to know fellow admits.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hkust12 wrote:
Just to keep the thread going I have also been admitted to UST FT '11 intake. I was interviewed 2-3 weeks ago and received notice this week. For those from R1 who are worried about a ding at this point there's still a shot!

Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to getting to know fellow admits.

First, congrats! And then, thanks for letting us know. Still no news from my side though...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I have applied for R2. Was trying to apply for R1 though, had a problem in uploading the documents. Though the App was submitted on time, the adcom screwed up as their technical response time was 1 week.tup

My Credentials as follows:

Gmat: 660 / 5.
WorkEx : 8 Years.
Country of Origin: India.
Founding Member of a Software Company in Enterprise Communications. International Exposure : 24 Months ( Mostly in APAC : Singapore, Hongkong, Philippines, Thai, Indonesia and Malaysia). Roles: Operations, Product Management & Business Development.

Other Apps : Insead.

Reg
Spin
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got admitted in HKUST (last Monday) and CEIBS (previous Thursday). I'm struggling with the decision, but this forum has brought me interesting insights. I will keep you posted on my research as well!
Interviews were quite similar, both via Skype. HKUST interview seemed a job interview while CEIBS interview was more informal and more open to questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there any preference given to applicants with work-ex in a family managed manufacturing & Exports business? Or are they not considered at all?
Curious because I'm hearing mixed views from people since I've harbored the thought of getting an MBA.

Any idea about how many people have already been admitted?
How many vacancies?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General
Schools:HKUST, HKU, UCLA
Send PM
Seems like a fair amount of people have already been accepted in from the R1 applications. Congrats to all who made it!

I'm in the R2 boat, and received my invite for the interview last week. Here's hoping I don't screw it up, but any advice other than what was provided in the previous pages would be helpful!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbahopeful81 wrote:
Seems like a fair amount of people have already been accepted in from the R1 applications. Congrats to all who made it!

I'm in the R2 boat, and received my invite for the interview last week. Here's hoping I don't screw it up, but any advice other than what was provided in the previous pages would be helpful!!!

What is your profile? Which country?
When did you submit the app & when did you get the invite?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also got admit from HKUST last week. They have given their decision very early as compared to the date of 12th Feb given on their website. Any one else in the same boat. Can we connect to each other?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl191 wrote:
berger wrote:
nycgirl191 wrote:
Jan 12th - acceptance deadline + must plunk down a deposit of HK$50,000 (~US$6,400)! So it would potentially leave me in a situation where an acceptance to INSEAD would mean walking away from a substantial chunk of money. :shock:

I'm not yet in that situation, but I can imagine that ... sucks! :(

I can read from your line you'd prefer INSEAD?

Actually, I don't, and if I were accepted into INSEAD, I would be quite torn. I prefer HKUST's location (rather than INSEAD's S'pore campus, which I've heard is a corporate office bldg with no real 'campus' feel and is not 1/1000th of Fonty) and the small class size.

However INSEAD has that shiny rep and a massive alumni base, which could prove very useful in the future. It would be a very tough decision!

What about you?

What did you finally decide? Are you paying the fee to HKUST? Iam in the same boat
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General
Schools:HKUST, HKU, UCLA
Send PM
mbaabroad wrote:
mbahopeful81 wrote:

What is your profile? Which country?
When did you submit the app & when did you get the invite?

Profile as follows:
Gmat: 660 / 5.
WorkEx : 7 Years.
Country of Origin: USA

Submitted the app at Dec 11th, and received the interview invite Dec 20th. The interview is happening Jan of next year as soon as they confirm my selected time slot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
it feels i am the only one here with not even interview invite heh.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V32
Send PM
I am also a R2 applicant in HKUST. Submitted my app on 12/7. Still shows Under Review ... :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbahopeful81 wrote:

Make sure you are ready to answer all types of questions regarding your career goals with details such as company you would work for, position, why would you be the best to fit that position and etc. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I have seen that R3 is not preferable for intl applicants. Is it true?

Planning to apply for round 3 if it works
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Naveen , R3 would be dangerous if u r considering this as one of ur serious optuons . R3 wud mean filling the blanks left by R1 applicants who otherwise did not join

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts