Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 19:24 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business/General
 Q39  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: GMAT quant advice [#permalink]
Hi Balaji,

I am also presently using the GMAT club tests, presently on M11. I thought I can drop in couple of words.

Having given the GMAT earlier, I can say that, the GMAT club tests though not very representative of the real GMAT Q, are pretty much near to them . The GMAT club tests are a noth higher and aim at subtle basic concepts we tend to miss easily. The aim of the tests is to make you aware of those simple, basic concepts.

The tests should be used to build up your Q stamina. Instead of looking at getting 25-29 out of 37 for every tests, look at the test as 25 tests X 37 questions of goooood mix of Q questions. Look at the tests as a good question bank of Q questions.

I am doing alternate tests as timed and untimed so that I also improve my time management. So, my honest advsie is that, dont get disheartened byt he score in any way. If you consistently score around the 28+ questions right every time, you are on track to get a goooood Q score.

Regards,
Praveen
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64955 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Don't try to test yourself on every Quant set you do. Focus on practicing and assimilating the new concepts you come across. Keep a log. And I can't say it enough, "If you are unable to recognize the concept being tested, it is not because you don't know the concept, but because you did not do 20 different questions related to the same concept." If you practice well, you will be able to quickly jump on the correct train of thought for most questions. Still, there will be some which are too convoluted and you can choose to skip those, save that time and use it on some other questions. Plus, in actual GMAT you can afford to get quite a few questions incorrect and still end up with a good score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
 Q48  V31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Karisma & mattapraveen

thanks a lot for your moral support. what i understand from your advice is that it is highly important to practise as many question i could for each topic. By doing so it will get me a good grip of concept tested in GMAT, and to quickly recognise the concept asked in a particular question.

I was wondering if i should practise Jeff sackmann's (GMAT hack) 1000 set question for practise? These sets contains 100 Q based on each concept tested in GMAT. Will you guys advise someone to use this material or will you advise to go about some other resource?

I appreciate you help.

Cheers!!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
tirupatibalaji wrote:
Karisma & mattapraveen

thanks a lot for your moral support. what i understand from your advice is that it is highly important to practise as many question i could for each topic. By doing so it will get me a good grip of concept tested in GMAT, and to quickly recognise the concept asked in a particular question.

I was wondering if i should practise Jeff sackmann's (GMAT hack) 1000 set question for practise? These sets contains 100 Q based on each concept tested in GMAT. Will you guys advise someone to use this material or will you advise to go about some other resource?

I appreciate you help.

Cheers!!

I havent tried Jeff sackmann's, so I wouldnt comment on that. But at the end of the day, you can do only so much of questions. Instead of piling up tons of material and getting confused on what to work, you might as well concentrate on one good source, go to the nitty gritty things and master the topics.

Completing all the 25 tests itself is time consuming, if you are still planning about other material, what about the time for your V? Unless you are a verbal pro. So plan accordingly. Its just not hard work, but planned scientific hard work.

I have read couple of posts giving a good review about JeffS...; but leave it to your wisdom on to subscribe them or not. I reckon they dont come cheap. Instead, there are tons of questions on this forum which are equally hard. Just search for 750+ and any topic you want, you will be scared by a couple of 750+ Q questions on this forum.

Regards,
Praveen
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V31
Send PM
Pravin, thanks for your advise. I really want to make sure that i don't waste time doing irrelevant question practise, from some bogus source.
How you rate 1000s questions for PS & DS. are they worth doing?
I have two choice before i kick start question practise. either i go for Jeff's 1000Q or i do 1000s Q. Bit confused about wot to embark on.
But i am not moving on to verbal till i achieve avg Qu49.
Cheer!
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello tirupatibalaji,

Given the number of books you have gone through, my guess is you're not able to identify what specific topics are giving you trouble. I don't mean DS or PS, I mean what specific part of arithmetic (geometry, algebra, word problems, simple trig, etc.) is keeping you from doing better.

Are you keeping an error log? This is key to reviewing the problems and identifying the WHY you are getting problems incorrect. Blindly reading material and doing problems does not work for many people.

PS: The 1000 series are nothing by pirated retired GMAC material that can be found across many licensed sources (old GMAT paper tests, older OG guides, etc.). I would stick to materials that include explanations (Jeff Sackmann, MGMAT, Veritas, Kaplan, etc.).
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V31
Send PM
Hi Mohater,

First of all thanks for your advise.
Yes, i have been keeping a error log of all the questions i have attempted. And i was surprised by the fact that i had made mistakes most of the concepts tested in GMAT. Hence doesn't provide me a clear picture to work with.
Although, i am also maintaining the log book of concepts, which i learnt from the questions answered incorrectly.

I think i should start with Jeff Sackmann's 1000Q sets, as they contain detailed explanation for each question. Once i complete that i will switch to OG12 & 11. Just to point out that i have already covered all the MGMAT books along with refereed OG12 questions (for each chapter).
I am almost done with TGM book from Jeff sackmann. TGM contains 10-15 questions for each chapter covered.

I'm sure by end of next week i should be back on track.

any advise or suggestions are welcomed.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64955 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
GMAT quant advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tirupatibalaji wrote:
Karisma & mattapraveen

I appreciate you help.

Cheers!!

Yes, it is very important to practice the concepts you are learning. From your scores, it doesn't look like you have problems with fundamentals. If I were to take a guess, I would say your exposure to Math has been limited in the recent past (job/college) though you were decent in Math at school. That could be a reason why you are not able to decipher the concept being tested on some questions. It can be rectified by keeping a log of new concepts you come across in various practice questions and referring back to the log occasionally. Don't look at practice questions as tests, but as PRACTICE questions. Think of it as learning phase, don't jump to testing.

You can practice from any GMAT relevant standard source (it should not be below or beyond GMAT level). Keep in mind that you should check out the explanation of all the questions you do, not just of the incorrect ones. You will pick up quite a few tricks from there.
GMAT Club Bot
GMAT quant advice [#permalink]