Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 07:20 It is currently 20 May 2024, 07:20
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73280 [3]
Given Kudos: 18987
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Ross 2013
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Anyone else getting cold feet? [#permalink]
Congrats :)

All I say is:

Feel the fear and DO IT ANYWAY!

Good Lucks :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
The uncertainty and pre-MBA planning phase definitely introduces a new kind of anxiety, but it's a great problem to have. I'm really thankful to be receiving some scholarship assistance, but even at full price the MBA experience would be worth it for me. The short-term career ROI is pretty quantifiable, but I place a lot of value in the once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'm going to have for the next 2 years. Everyone has their own reasons for pursuing an MBA, but I think it's important to recognize where you're at in your life. Whether you spend the rest of your life in a demanding career, settle down with a family, or some other combination of events, it's likely that these two years will add a lot of fun to your life story. As bb mentioned, this is could be the last pit stop in your life for a long time.

The idea of making student loan payments of $1,000+/mo sounds pretty lame, but I've yet to meet 1 person who regretted pursuing their MBA, and I've talked to a lot of alums.

Here's to an adventure! :beer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
change is always scary. but you should go for it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Thanks guys...yeah I know it's what I want, just my worrisome nature kicking in. Figured others must be feeling it too
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: International Business, General
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, RSM
Send PM
@Michmax3: I can imagine your worries. Uncertainly coupled with loan isn't easy thing. Though I haven't got my admit (still in process of preparing GMAT), I've started living like student to save as much as I can before starting my MBA.

Wish you all the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Congratulations! I know everything will be fine, just a change of pace.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 672 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Like others said, just do it. Here's another perspective:

I'm in my early twenties, and already have pretty much everything I want: a job in my dream industry, a wonderful husband, living in a beautiful downtown high rise. Yet I can't wait to get into business school. I realize what this means: temporarily being away from my family, the potential of not being able to get back in the industry, going back to living in the dorms/university housing, and forgoing quite a bit of income to go into debt. Friends think I'm crazy - what's the point of going to bschool if I've already reached my endpoint?

Because of what I missed out on in the process. If this was my life 5 years from now I think I'd be pretty psyched (though hopefully at a higher position in my company with more contacts, more money, etc). But I can't really imagine "settling" - can't imagine this will be my life day in and day out from my twenties to my sixties. I can't wait to go to bschool so I can meet tons of likeminded people, explore career options that I never thought I would (even if right now I think I'd want to come back to the same one), live in a different city, try new things, etc while I'm still young.

Immature reason? Perhaps. But hopefully a story you can read and get a little excited about your journey too!
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
OP u are going to Ross? There's no way you won't get a job, why would you even worry about it? You might not get NYC, but I've gotta think you will 100 percent be able to land a good paying job in Detroit or Chicago or something.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
southernstunna wrote:
OP u are going to Ross? There's no way you won't get a job, why would you even worry about it? You might not get NYC, but I've gotta think you will 100 percent be able to land a good paying job in Detroit or Chicago or something.

Not sure yet, so far interviewed at Ross and accepted to Duke. I'm not really that worried about it, I've just never had any sort of debt before, so something new to me and also dreading the actual move and missing my family/friends. Super excited to have my brain stimulated again though, so bored with everything right now.

The way I'm deciding to look at it is, there are no guarantees in life. I mean even if I kept my job now I might still be looking for a new one in 2 years, whether by choice from boredom, or being forced to if I got laid off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Using an estimated debt of $140k, 40k subsidized at 6.8% and 100k unsubsidized at 7.8% the Sallie Mae Loan Calculator estimates payments of over $1600 a month. Probably wont qualify for the IRS tax deduction on interest of up to $2500 a year due to income restrictions.

Annual Post MBA real earnings year 0:
Gross: 100k
Student loan payments: 19,200
Real Earnings approx: 80,000
Federal Taxes approx 20K (you will be taxed at 100k rate)
Social Security 6.2k
Medicare 1.4k
Net approx: 52k

Retirement Savings of 15% gross earnings is $15,000
Net - Savings = Discretionary income of roughly 37k per year or $3083 a month
Note: This does not include health insurance expenses
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
secondtime wrote:
Using an estimated debt of $140k, 40k subsidized at 6.8% and 100k unsubsidized at 7.8% the Sallie Mae Loan Calculator estimates payments of over $1600 a month. Probably wont qualify for the IRS tax deduction on interest of up to $2500 a year due to income restrictions.

Annual Post MBA real earnings year 0:
Gross: 100k
Student loan payments: 19,200
Real Earnings approx: 80,000
Federal Taxes approx 20K (you will be taxed at 100k rate)
Social Security 6.2k
Medicare 1.4k
Net approx: 52k

Retirement Savings of 15% gross earnings is $15,000
Net - Savings = Discretionary income of roughly 37k per year or $3083 a month
Note: This does not include health insurance expenses

How depressing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Michmax, I feel exactly the same way you do (though I haven't received an acceptance yet). I'm really excited about going to b-school, but I do freak out from time to time about the money - I've never had debt either, moving far away, etc., especially as my friends are getting married and 2 close friends are pregnant. I think it's a totally normal feeling. And as females, there are other considerations for putting our lives on hold for two years, (especially since I'll be 31 when I graduate!) Nonetheless, I think it'll all be worth it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Hahahaaa…..This reminds me of my recent Bungee jumping experience in New Zealand.
My wife and I had travelled half the world to do all sorts of adventure stuff in NZ and we were all too eager to experience the thrill of life, the rush of blood etc. The excitement was sky high all the way to our journey to the peak from where we had to jump…..But the minute you reach the top and you see the height and the valley you realize what you have got yourself into. Your mind starts playing games with you and all your anxiety has turned into heart pounding moments. Your mind’s self defense mechanism takes control and the harness, the safety rope, the precautionary steps, all do not matter – your mind wants you to back out. You then start thinking of all the money you have put in this, the ignominy of facing all your friends if you chicken out and lastly the thought that you might not get this opportunity again….
This is the point where you are….on the edge ready to dive. There’s nothing to fear or worry about…with the skills and knowledge that you will build over the next 2 years you will only get better. Take the plunge and feel the excitement……
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
zuperman wrote:
Hahahaaa…..This reminds me of my recent Bungee jumping experience in New Zealand.
My wife and I had travelled half the world to do all sorts of adventure stuff in NZ and we were all too eager to experience the thrill of life, the rush of blood etc. The excitement was sky high all the way to our journey to the peak from where we had to jump…..But the minute you reach the top and you see the height and the valley you realize what you have got yourself into. Your mind starts playing games with you and all your anxiety has turned into heart pounding moments. Your mind’s self defense mechanism takes control and the harness, the safety rope, the precautionary steps, all do not matter – your mind wants you to back out. You then start thinking of all the money you have put in this, the ignominy of facing all your friends if you chicken out and lastly the thought that you might not get this opportunity again….
This is the point where you are….on the edge ready to dive. There’s nothing to fear or worry about…with the skills and knowledge that you will build over the next 2 years you will only get better. Take the plunge and feel the excitement……

Awesome analogy, although my friend invited me to go skydiving with him, I'm deathly terrified! (He'll probably force me to go anyway :) )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think internationals may have more to worry about, as I am from Mexico I know that if upon graduation I cannot obtain a full time job offer I will have to return to Mexico and be paid about half (best case scenario) of what I would make compared to working in the USA. However I am sure that if I dont pursue my MBA due to fear of debt I will kick myself for the rest of my life. Sometimes you have to step back and say f$%$ it..... and just go for it....I feel the risk is well worth the reward.....
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: LEED AP
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Them green buildings, y'all.
Schools:GSB(R1) Haas(R1) Wharton(R1) Kellogg(R1) Ross(R2) Tepper(R2)
 Q45  V45
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: 4.5 yrs in architecture.
Send PM
If you're in a low paying industry, the money thing shouldn't bother you. You know you'll come out making more. If you're in a high salary industry, you already know what it's like to get mad paper - the kind that pays off debts.
2 years of learning and socializing before you hit that 3-0, start a family, and settle down? How could you not do it? Short of a biotech revolution, this is your last chance to do the young-people-all-in-one-place thing. Feed your head. Surround yourself with smart people from the type-a diaspora doing rad stuff with their lives.
The hot pressure of I wish I had thaws cold feet.
GMAT Club Bot