Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance , Banking, Economics
Schools:Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
 Q34  V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: I did not get my life back! [#permalink]
Thank you for the reply. I am not in the right mind right now. So, I will take a break from gmat for sure and will think what went wrong. I ruined everything! Life is never gonna be the same.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Should I retake? Is it okay to go for gmat 3rd time?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Send PM
willigetmylifeback wrote:

Yes you can re-take. However, consider these factors:
1. The deadlines for the last round of intake is fast approaching.
2. You cannot take the test this month because GMAC doesn't allow it.

On the other-hand, if you're not in a hurry to do your MBA, you could apply for Round 2 of intake for Fall '12!

This will give you enough time to prepare for the exam and improve your score.

:D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I know I will not be able to take test before another 30 days. Even I do have no mood to give the test so early. I will take a break of one month, then start my preparation once again. Good luck to you for you GMAT.

Entwistle wrote:

Yes you can re-take. However, consider these factors:
1. The deadlines for the last round of intake is fast approaching.
2. You cannot take the test this month because GMAC doesn't allow it.

On the other-hand, if you're not in a hurry to do your MBA, you could apply for Round 2 of intake for Fall '12!

This will give you enough time to prepare for the exam and improve your score.

:D
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks man :) I'm writing the GMAT on the 24th of this month!

It will be my second attempt :D

At this point I'm just trying to not to freak out! I had my moment of doubt a couple of days back though!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I did not get my life back :( I scored lower than what had scored 1st time. I scored miserably on both the sections this time. My score is 500(Q44,V16!) While doing the verbal section I was confident that I am doing good but do not what happen :( I really cried last day. I do not think GMAT is for me. My earlier score was 540 (Q48, V17).

Please reply following questions..

Should I apply with this score?
Should I leave the dream to do MBA?
Which college I can get with 540? I have good personal story and good record of extra-activities. I want to apply in Europe, Aus, Canada or USA. Please suggest some colleges.

Thank you johnnyGMAT2k10 for guiding throughout my preparation. But sorry, I disappointed you.

Hey man, so sorry to hear about your test experience, i know how frustrated you must feel. You worked extremely hard and have nothing to be ashamed of. It may have been a case of test day jitters, happens to the best of them

I think you should definitely give it one more shot. Your prep scores leading up to the test were well above your score so it isnt a question of whether you are capable because you certainly are, it just comes down to execution on G-day. You have what it takes!!! Dont give up on your dream!!!! If its possible, would you be able to take a review course? whether Manhattan or Knewton, it may be structured study that helps you get over the hump. Also what environment were you taking your tests in? Creating an environment as similar to that of a testing center could be a key to improving your test day performance. Also are you using the pad and marker? All of these methods could help you perform up to your capability.

If you are planning to apply for Fall 2012 i say you should definitely take it again since you would have time before deadlines. Dont let this discourage you! Look at it as a setback, and all a setback is, is a setup for a comeback. You can do it, just keep at it!! You have nothing to lose in trying, just keep fighting and youll get over the hump. Keep working, keep studying, keep posting on the board as there are dozens of people here who can help and offer words of advice. You can find a nuber of people on this board who overcame lower scores and retook and came out on top. Dont give up
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Look at it as a setback, and all a setback is, is a setup for a comeback.

Kudos to you for that post and the quoted line in particular! Well said!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
hey buddy i don't know i started from V33 and is V40. I think Verbal causes a lot of anxiety on the exam. When I am anxious of time my CR logics go haywire, nothing makes sense. Now if I mark an answer I stay with it - I rely on the instincts and keywords. I suggest u keep your cool. You need it most when ur attempting an ugly looking RC question at #33 in last 10 mins. or your attempting an ugly looking CR question at #40. Generally#1 is hard SC question and the next 5 questions do check ur confidence. If you make them and roll in 10 mins - i think u have won the verbal. You hit the 60 mins reverse timer and took 15 mins to answer 10 questions - the confidence shakes like a cat drowned in the ice water. Offense is the best defense.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thank you johnnyGMAT2k10. Hats off to you. I'm extremely happy to be on such an forum where people like you are encouraging and guide throughout the preparation.

Yes, I've decided to give another shot. Yes, I was using the pad and marker during the practice tests but environment wasn't the same as of test center. At home I got disturbed sometimes during the test. I have analysed that another mistake I did was not practicing enough on RC and CR. Also, I was confident that I can get 48 on quant but this was my over-confidence I believe, so I practiced little on quant.

I'm figuring out what else went wrong. I wasn't nervous on quant section but surely I was afraid of something - which I don't know - on verbal section.

I've decided to take 2-3 weeks break, keep my mind off the test and after that I will start my final inning.

Thank you johnnyGMAT2k10 once again for the motivating words.

johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
I did not get my life back :( I scored lower than what had scored 1st time. I scored miserably on both the sections this time. My score is 500(Q44,V16!) While doing the verbal section I was confident that I am doing good but do not what happen :( I really cried last day. I do not think GMAT is for me. My earlier score was 540 (Q48, V17).

Please reply following questions..

Which college I can get with 540? I have good personal story and good record of extra-activities. I want to apply in Europe, Aus, Canada or USA. Please suggest some colleges.

Thank you johnnyGMAT2k10 for guiding throughout my preparation. But sorry, I disappointed you.

Hey man, so sorry to hear about your test experience, i know how frustrated you must feel. You worked extremely hard and have nothing to be ashamed of. It may have been a case of test day jitters, happens to the best of them

I think you should definitely give it one more shot. Your prep scores leading up to the test were well above your score so it isnt a question of whether you are capable because you certainly are, it just comes down to execution on G-day. You have what it takes!!! Dont give up on your dream!!!! If its possible, would you be able to take a review course? whether Manhattan or Knewton, it may be structured study that helps you get over the hump. Also what environment were you taking your tests in? Creating an environment as similar to that of a testing center could be a key to improving your test day performance. Also are you using the pad and marker? All of these methods could help you perform up to your capability.

If you are planning to apply for Fall 2012 i say you should definitely take it again since you would have time before deadlines. Dont let this discourage you! Look at it as a setback, and all a setback is, is a setup for a comeback. You can do it, just keep at it!! You have nothing to lose in trying, just keep fighting and youll get over the hump. Keep working, keep studying, keep posting on the board as there are dozens of people here who can help and offer words of advice. You can find a nuber of people on this board who overcame lower scores and retook and came out on top. Dont give up
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you gmat1220 for the post. I agree that confidence is what matters most on the test day. If you are confident enough I think one can easily improve score by 20-30 points only because of confidence!

I will try to keep cool and take it test last time after few months with confidence.

Thank you once again.

gmat1220 wrote:
hey buddy i don't know i started from V33 and is V40. I think Verbal causes a lot of anxiety on the exam. When I am anxious of time my CR logics go haywire, nothing makes sense. Now if I mark an answer I stay with it - I rely on the instincts and keywords. I suggest u keep your cool. You need it most when ur attempting an ugly looking RC question at #33 in last 10 mins. or your attempting an ugly looking CR question at #40. Generally#1 is hard SC question and the next 5 questions do check ur confidence. If you make them and roll in 10 mins - i think u have won the verbal. You hit the 60 mins reverse timer and took 15 mins to answer 10 questions - the confidence shakes like a cat drowned in the ice water. Offense is the best defense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Kudos for the resilience ! I hate to tell you but I wanna beat the **** out of this exam. And verbal, is my weak link. However I think RC and CR can be studied from manhattan guides and they do have tricks and time savers. Plus reading some non fiction will help. Know you strengthens - sometimes improving verbal can make u delinquent on the quant. Be on the guard. The idea is to know your strength - attack with the best and "eye of the tiger". Rocky Balbao inspires me :-))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CaiWxKYBo
"You had the eye of the tiger - the edge and way to get it back is to get back to the beginning - you know what I mean... may be we can win it together." :-D

Thank you gmat1220 for the post. I agree that confidence is what matters most on the test day. If you are confident enough I think one can easily improve score by 20-30 points only because of confidence!

I will try to keep cool and take it test last time after few months with confidence.

Thank you once again.

gmat1220 wrote:
Director
Director
Send PM
gmat1220 wrote:
"You had the eye of the tiger - the edge and way to get it back is to get back to the beginning - you know what I mean... may be we can win it together." :-D

\Apollo Creed/

I love it when people quote inspirational stuff from movies I love :)
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Sorry to learn about your tough day, willigetmylifeback. Your math scores are strong, so this is obviously not a big obstacle. The challenge clearly lies within the verbal section. Could you elaborate on your study for this section?

For now, though, take at least one month off. I believe that you are capable of a better score. We all just have to find out what specifically went wrong and form a solution. But, as already stated, it's time to rest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
Send PM
I agree to what bmillan says and I think the same too - your Q scores are pretty decent. Just improve your verbal and you will be fine. I got a terrible 490 on my last GMAT attempt and I'm dreaming for a 700 this time haha!
What is your target score? Depending on that put more effort into Quant, if your target score is in the 700+ range. If not, my personal opnion, concentrate on Verbal alone and tackle it. I think 1-2 months of verbal prep should be good for you. I loved the MGMAT CR book, although many here have said that Powerscore is the best book. But, I used to get pretty confused when I read that book. MGMAT CR book is very concise and crisp. Again, your strategy and effort depends on your target score. If you need a 700+ then may be a Powerscore and MGMAT CR will help you. For RC - I just practiced and also read through some strategies in the OG. SC is something that I'm still working on and I use the MGMAT SC book. Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
Send PM

To answer your last question - I know that there are Schools here in the United States thAt have average GMAT Scores of 550 or so. If you are desperate to start off with your MBA this fall itself then you could try applying to these schools. Do some research and see where you can apply.
In the meanwhile, take a break and get set to take the GMAT, whether you apply with your 540 or not. A high GMAT score definitely feels good :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Unfortunately, its all about that day, but thats the way it is for every exam. You can try a shot at GRE too because some b-schools here accept GRE also in case GMAT is not your forte'; ultimately it is a similar exam, but given a choice i would give GRE again and not go thru the fire of GMAT!
But again if you are targetting the best schools, there is no other way, GMAT is totally geared towarda a business school and it is amazing how prepping up the right way sharpens your vitals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance , Banking, Economics
Schools:Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
 Q34  V26
Send PM
Yes! Its true, many good school accept 500 range score.I think you should definitely research on it and maintain a regular communication with the advisor of the colleges that you are interested in. Infact,some school don't require any GMAT score at all but I wouldn't recommend those schools to you.I'm mentioning about those cause I have seen many people come to US by getting into those school , and later on they try to transfer their credits or try and get into the school of their choice.There are millions of options if you want to go abroad and build a new life.But if your motive is to get into one of the top colleges in the world, then you should hang in there , be patient, and keep trying till you win!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts