Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink]
mbatogo wrote:
nayoowin wrote:
Have been admitted to the 2011 program... Saying hello to all who have been admitted as well! :-D

congrats nayoowin! will you be attending the precourse in July?

Thanks, mbatogo! I won't be attending the precourse in July, and would join the program in Aug only. Unfortunate, in a way, as I won't get to meet you guys earlier!

Hi to Apinyap too!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
apinyap wrote:
hey mbatogo, thx for that. anyway i'll be attending the pre-course in July and will be staying on campus as well, prb dorm 3. I tried emailing the dormitory guy for more info but received no reply. I am also interested in off-campus accom but there is very limited info on that, so thinkin' of staying on campus for a few months before moving out to live in apartment. Seemed like there are only Chinese breakfast, lunch and dinner on campus so wanna live outside so i can cook myself and eat more variety of things hahaa ^^ i'm kinda a food luving person. anyway, gluck to all of you who are still waiting for final decision! Hope to c everyone at CEIBS!

Hey Apinyap,

I would be staying on camous as well. For on-campus accomodation, it ranges from RMB 2000 -RMB 3000 (approx USD 300 -USD 450) for doubles and singles. If you plan to live off-campus, a decent studio could be had for a RMB 3000 and up. However do note that, the utilities bill could come up to another RMB 500. Jinqiao district, where CEIBS is located, is a relatively new part of Shanghai, and be considered an expat enclave. As such, accommodation might be slightly higher than most parts of shanghai.

An alternative is to find a suitable housemate and share the costs of leasing a serviced apartment. My previous employer owns a couple of those in China and there is one about 15 minutes walk from CEIBS. The prices start from RMB 7000-8000 for a studio; but these are great places, comparable to say a Novotel, but with full kitchen facilities. They also own the Ascott Sathorn, and they have 4 others in Sukhimvit 8, 11, 16 and 23. Can't post links here, but you can search for Citadines Biyun online or if you want, I can link you with the sales manager.

Let me know if you need more information about accommodation or living costs and I would glad to help where I could!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I got admitted into CEIBS for the 2011 program (round 2). I just came across this forum and thought I would say hi! Just to let you know, I also found a ceibs group that was created in Linkedin which is called "CEIBS MBA 2011-2013". There's only about 20 members at the moment but I'm sure it'll grow in the next couple of weeks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Mbafin, congratuation on ur admission and thank you for sharing with us about the Linkedin CEIBS group. i will definitely take a look at that. As for Nayoowin, i stayed at Citadine Biyun when i visited the CEIBS campus for the interview (since i want to hv a closer look at the campus). I luv the hotel though i must say it is a bit too expensive, given it is a serviced apartment. Last time i checked, it is around 15000RMB per month for the one bedroom apartment, which is very high compare to on-campus 3000RMB/ mth for single room, dormitory 3. However, i am not sure if the studio room is available for monthly rental? I stayed in the studio room last time i visited the campus, and i just love the room! i think 7000-8000RMB per month would be fine. Maybe i should contact the sales manager directly to ask more about the studio monthly rental as the CEIBs information booklet only provide price list for the 1,2, and 3 bedroom apartment at Citadine Biyun. Thank you very much for your suggestion Nayoowin :) really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
apinyap wrote:
Dear Mbafin, congratuation on ur admission and thank you for sharing with us about the Linkedin CEIBS group. i will definitely take a look at that. As for Nayoowin, i stayed at Citadine Biyun when i visited the CEIBS campus for the interview (since i want to hv a closer look at the campus). I luv the hotel though i must say it is a bit too expensive, given it is a serviced apartment. Last time i checked, it is around 15000RMB per month for the one bedroom apartment, which is very high compare to on-campus 3000RMB/ mth for single room, dormitory 3. However, i am not sure if the studio room is available for monthly rental? I stayed in the studio room last time i visited the campus, and i just love the room! i think 7000-8000RMB per month would be fine. Maybe i should contact the sales manager directly to ask more about the studio monthly rental as the CEIBs information booklet only provide price list for the 1,2, and 3 bedroom apartment at Citadine Biyun. Thank you very much for your suggestion Nayoowin :) really appreciate it.

Hi guys,

Just graduated from CEIBS and came across this page on google by chance while looking for something else. I did not want to get into the discussion about why ceibs and blah blah as it is personal decision and my views may be biased. It was interesting to see all the concerns and I like the brain-storming here.

Instead I thought of replying to the above post as I had similar situation before coming here and was surprised to see many more options. Do not go blidly about the list school might have sent to you about accommodation. There are better options available within 15 minutes "walk" and might cost RMB 3200 (for 1 bedroom apartment) to RMB 10,000 (3 bedroom apartment) for a month. So you do have a lot of choice. No, I am a foreigner so I am not writing to rent out any apartment (though I wish I had one of own in Shanghai).

My advise is to just make arrangement for initial few days (or at most for the pre-course time) and that will give you enough idea and time to look for alternate if you do not like. For those on budget you can even consider Motel 168 (about 10 minutes by bicycle or 5 minutes by cab) and I think they have option from RMB 150/day onwards. Make sure you ask for discount if you are looking for longer stay, say more than 7 days.

Not sure if I can visit this site often as I am working now but will try to reply if anyone has a questiont hat I can help with.

Congratulations to those already in and good luck to those interviewing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Looks like no one here is interviewing for r3. Anyway here is some information I could share about the places to stay.

Yes I could confirm that a decent studio apartment starts from the mid range of 3000. (add around 400 to 500 for utilities)

The general perception I'm getting from the people living here is that there is nothing going on on the Pudong side of town or even further on the Jinxiu side of the city since a lot of things seem to be going on the Puxi side. But it seems to me that this has always been an on-going controversy anyway. And with the most likely busy schedule of an MBA student. Perhaps it's a good idea to stay near the area. But I just thought some of you might want to know :)

To give you a context of where I'm coming from and why I'm saying what I said:

I myself am a foreigner who has been living in Shanghai for a little bit more than a year now. And I have been moving around and living in different areas during that period time. I know some Chinese but I still need to get used to speaking the language. (I took 2 years worth of Chinese courses in college-roughly 5 years ago-and have spent the first half of a year in Shanghai to improve my Chinese language skills)

I did my undergraduate in the US but I wasn't born there. I was born in South East Asia. Even though I have a Chinese background, I don't speak Chinese at home so I have to learn the language the hard way. My roughly 5 years of working experience was in the US.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For those of you who have already been admitted, do you know the exact date of when the program will start in August and what date the pre-course will start in July? Is there any registration date or orientation date? Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
aspiringmbacandidate wrote:
For those of you who have already been admitted, do you know the exact date of when the program will start in August and what date the pre-course will start in July? Is there any registration date or orientation date? Thanks in advance!

Pre-course begins July 4th
Program starts August 8th

I haven't received any additional information on the pre-course though. I'll let you know when I do. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey.

Just want to drop by and say hi to everyone. I applied and got accepted in round 2. Found this thread by googling about the dormitory situation. I read the discussion regarding living on-campus versus near campus; but anyone actually thinking about living in the city (meaning in city center of Shanghai)? I heard the school is far away from the city center.. so not sure if it is a viable option, but if anyone can share his/her opinion, much appreciate.

Btw, any of my dear classmates are from Southern Cali?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jdub,

Nope, I'm not from Southern Cali (not even from the states actually... but Finland) but I've been living in Shanghai for the past 8 months, trying to get to grips with Mandarin, and I have visited the campus a couple of times.

Yes, the campus is pretty far from the city center. It's actually pretty far from any metro stations as well which really doesn't help with the commute from/to the city center (closest metro station is 3km away and that station is not on one of the lines which go straight to the center). If you were to live in the center (i.e. west side of the river), you would probably want to be close to the green metro line on which you could travel directly to a metro station called "century avenue" (east side of river) and from there take a cab to the school which takes about 15 minutes and costs 25-30 RMB (that is without traffic). Depending how far west you are on that green line, the whole trip could take you between 30 to 45 minutes... and the morning rush hour can make it quite uncomfortable!

I think the best solution, if you want to be fairly close to the center, is to look at flats around metro stations such as "science and technology museum", "century park" or even "century avenue". These are all on the green metro line on the east side of the river (so you can easily go to the center) and about 15 minutes away from the school by cab... I've been looking at a few flats around those areas and you would be looking at about 5000-6000RMB/month for a 1 bedroom flat. And if you don't feel like taking a cab everyday, then you can always invest in either a bike (maybe 200-500RMB) or even an electric scooter, some of which go for less than 2000RMB.

Have a look at google maps. It'll show you all the metro lines and you'll get a better idea of the places I mentioned above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
It seems like most students live on campus for Term 1 and then move off for Term 2. You're probably missing some of the social aspects by not living there at least for the first part of the year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey everyone,
it seem that my MBA 2011 Students Guide booklet sent with the Welcome Package is missing page 13-14. Can anyone tell me what information are on these two pages since i want to make sure i'm not missing anything important.

oh and by the way, those of you who are planning to live on-campus, did u email the dormitory guy to reserve the room? does he speak english? since i emailed him in english and he replied me in pure chinese character?!

thank u everyone!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Apinyap,

Page 13-14 only contain a list of restaurants that are around the campus and a short list of phone numbers for different parts of the school (i.e. mba office, gym, visa application, accommodation...). So you're not missing any crucial information!
If you want that list of numbers, let me know and I'll post it.

I haven't tried to get in touch with the dorm guy so won't be able to help with that...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thanks mbafin:

This is the first time I talked to someone from Finland!!! I actually think I am going to live on campus the first term at least. Looking forward to meet you in couple months!

mbafin wrote:
Hi Jdub,

Nope, I'm not from Southern Cali (not even from the states actually... but Finland) but I've been living in Shanghai for the past 8 months, trying to get to grips with Mandarin, and I have visited the campus a couple of times.

Yes, the campus is pretty far from the city center. It's actually pretty far from any metro stations as well which really doesn't help with the commute from/to the city center (closest metro station is 3km away and that station is not on one of the lines which go straight to the center). If you were to live in the center (i.e. west side of the river), you would probably want to be close to the green metro line on which you could travel directly to a metro station called "century avenue" (east side of river) and from there take a cab to the school which takes about 15 minutes and costs 25-30 RMB (that is without traffic). Depending how far west you are on that green line, the whole trip could take you between 30 to 45 minutes... and the morning rush hour can make it quite uncomfortable!

I think the best solution, if you want to be fairly close to the center, is to look at flats around metro stations such as "science and technology museum", "century park" or even "century avenue". These are all on the green metro line on the east side of the river (so you can easily go to the center) and about 15 minutes away from the school by cab... I've been looking at a few flats around those areas and you would be looking at about 5000-6000RMB/month for a 1 bedroom flat. And if you don't feel like taking a cab everyday, then you can always invest in either a bike (maybe 200-500RMB) or even an electric scooter, some of which go for less than 2000RMB.

Have a look at google maps. It'll show you all the metro lines and you'll get a better idea of the places I mentioned above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:CEIBS
Send PM
Anyone receive a decision notice for round 3? Anyone who got WL get an acceptance?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just received the admit notice (r3) in my email. How about yourself gmatmonkey?

Originally posted by aspiringmbacandidate on 13 May 2011, 02:56.
Last edited by aspiringmbacandidate on 16 May 2011, 03:53, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts