GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 09:58
@xuexoa
thank you for the information. I guess I'll have ample time to make a decision and get the money in place. As for the reason for your waitlist, I think you summed it up nicely. Like people say, the interview is a way to reinforce your application. It can hurt you more than it can help you and you seemed to get on to the controversial side of things while they really want to hear 1. why you are a good fit for the school 2. what you bring to the school 3. why china/ceibs

@bterwilliger - I believe it will be via email.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 21:09
For R1, notified 12/16 and deposit of $5k USD by 1/25, so about 5 weeks.

Notified on 12/16 via email and then you receive a package via mail.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 01:24
Pac2Atl: I do agree with your points but the interviewers did ask "What do you think of China" in a very open-ended manner. The interviewers didn't seem to challenge the last point I made in response to this query, which has very real implications for future economic development and managerial practice in China, so can't and shouldn't assume that such comments would have been negatively interpreted by the school's representatives.

Nonetheless, my underlying observation was - and still remains - that given largely unabated and consistent increases in domestic inflation, policymakers over there would need to significantly raise interest rates to stifle accelerating monetary velocity or else the country would face competitive disadvantages in terms of export-oriented production due to the astronomical labor, real estate, food, and industrial commodity/input prices that would ensue. Rising costs would shift production to other emerging markets and this would definitely impact managerial decision-making and business planning.

I sure hope controversy and dissenting opinions are welcome in b-school, especially since these exact ideas are regularly debated in Chinese print and broadcast media. I'd sure hope b-schools appreciated candidates who follow the issues and can give opinionated arguments in support of particular viewpoints as opposed to the alternative of enrolling peeps who simply regurgitate the content of the lectures.

Analagous to the point I'm attempting to highlight are some of Mark Twain's comments in reference to the U.S. system of trial by jury, in which he basically pointed out that the jury system puts a premium upon being judged by a body of one's peers which is composed of men who are deemd sufficiently ignorant and unaware of recent events so as to be permitted to serve on a jury.

That's why the notion of "playing it conservative" during an interview doesn't hold much appeal for me, especially since there are so many other conservative, straight-laced candidates out there who are probably more than willing to tell an AdCom what they believe it wants to hear. I'm if asked questions about China, I'll certainly provide relevant answers that I feel are pertinent. But let's not get too caught up on focusing on this particular issue since there are so many factors that an AdCom analyzes in making its admissions decisions. But I hope you see the merits of my conceptual approach to interviewing with b-schools. Feel free to comment on any portion of the above to your heart's content...
Intern
Intern
Schools: CEIBS

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 08:54
Xuexoa, hoping you get an admit. However, on the chance that we don't, from http://www.ceibs.edu/mba/faq/2363.shtml:

16. If I am rejected, can I receive feedback from CEIBS? Can my application materials be returned?

We encourage students who wish to reapply to contact the MBA Admission Office by calling (Tel: 86-21-2890 5555) and ask for a "Reapplication Feedback Session" with one of the admissions managers. These feedback sessions can only be conducted by phone, so please have your calendar available. We cannot schedule these appointments by e-mail, fax, or mail, so please call us at the phone number listed above. We look forward to discussing your application with you and answering any questions you may have about our review process.

Please note that all the application materials are not returnable.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2011, 10:33
Xuexoa - I agree with all your points and think your thoughts would bring a valuable perspective to any MBA community. That being said, from what I've read, the MBA interview is not the time to be too controversial or stir up the pot per se.

I agree though - the CEIBS interview was so open ended it was difficult to understand what they were looking for. However, I stuck with my approach on communicating strong teamwork, leadership, quantitative abilities, ethics, and diversity skills/experiences. I guess I'll find out next week if it paid off.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 00:05
Hey guys (and I assume you're all guys - why are there no ladies on this board?)...

I agree with your points. I think it's best to just be yourself. As for the feedback for rejected applicants, I'm well aware of the feedback option because I, too, have done a very exhuastive deep dive into the CEIBS website. If I were to be rejected, I'd certainly take advantage of that option. Anyway, enough philosophical musings from me...but I did have to do something to keep this board exciting during this slow week, which is sort of like the proverbial calm before the storm.

So, let me move on to three more pertinent questions that I have about the school's program. I didn't ask these during the interview at the end because I felt they were rather minor. Perhaps you guys, particularly Mbatogo, who has been accepted, can answer them or provide further insight.

1. If accepted, would you live on campus or in a nearby apartment/house? To me, the dorms are the way to go, especially the single room accomodations, but I've read some current foreign students live off campus in nearby apartments. This just seems like a hassle, especially since the dorms are probably cheaper. Also, are the dorms serviced? I think they are but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

2. While foreign students who are not fully fluent in Chinese are required to study Mandarin in either a beginner, intermediate, or advanced class throughout their matriculation in the program. These classes, along with the French and Spanish classes offered at the school are free and are not taken for either a grade or credit. I've always been curious if foreign students who are not fluent in Chinese and who thus take Chinese courses are also able/permitted to take either French or Spanish. Are all of these language classes offered at the same time slot so that a student can only take one or is it possible that a student could take one of the European language classes while also studying Chinese? Furthermore, are these classes offered every day or just 2 or 3 times per week? When are they offered exactly? I haven't found any details about these classes on the school's website or on any message board, and I've read messages dating back 6 years! Additionally, are the Chinese language classes offered at CEIBS simply oral classes or do they also teach characters? I consider the latter so important to learning the language. There are several b-schools, like Columbia and T-Bird among others, that offer Chinese courses to students yet closer inspection reveals that they merely "teach" conversation Chinese. I also wonder if the European languages are taught in a conversational manner at CEIBS. Finally, I've also been wondering why German isn't taught there...perhaps it will be soon. Okay, one last thing: does anyone know whether these courses are in fact "not for credit" and "not for a grade"? Are they simply additional classes that a foreign student has to sit in on and attend or must the student show competency on a "pass/no pass" basis to complete the language requirement and graduate from the MBA program? I can't get any insight on this aspect of the program?

3. Oh gosh, I forgot question #3...okay, I remember now...I remember reading on the website how it is possible for students to complete the program in as little as 16 months or as long as 24 months. I'm not sure about the 16-month option - maybe I'm wrong - but I do remember the option to complete the program in up to 2 years, largely because some students chose to undertake extended internships that last through not only the summer but also the autumn academic period of the second year. Do you remember reading this? However, the way the text read, it seemed to imply that some students were able to spend an additional academic period at the school and complete the MBA in 2 years' time, even if they didn't undertake an extended internship that lasted into the fall academic semester. I ask about this point because 1) I honestly don't remember it clearly and 2) although I seek to complete the MBA in the shortest amount of time, there may be some value in sticking around to take more classes in the second year and obtain more specialization, especially if the job market were to not be so hot due to recessionary pressures. Of course, even if an extended option were available, taking advantage of it would have to be weighed against any additional tuition that would have to be paid. What, if anything, do you guys know about this?

Given the complexity of some of these issues, you can see why I didn't want to trouble my Chinese interviewers with them. Please advise as best you can.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 18:36
don't know the stats but my opinion is: 1. many people live off campus, but those foreign to china / don't speak chinese probably pick the dorms 2. not sure - call adcom 3. the friends i know who attended ceibs all graduated in 16 months.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 20:33
hey - gal here. prob one of very few on these boards. let me try to help answer your questions - i've found the student ambassadors (particularly Cole) very helpful with my many random questions. i've probably sent him 3-4 emails already, so if you have any specific questions you need to ask, feel free to reach out to the student ambassadors, or put them on here and i'll see if i've already got it covered.

1) i'm definitely planning to live on campus. i think it's just easier to get to know fellow classmates, to go to and from classes, and stay late nights to work on group projects. i'm definitely going with the single room accomodation - not sure how i'll feel about sharing my room with just anyone. some of the nicer dorms have someone coming in to clean once a week, others have every other week.

2) i'm chinese, but don't know a lick of mandarin so i'll be attending the pre-course in July. i definitely plan to continue my mandarin classes once courses start in august. not sure if you can take chinese classes and other courses at the same time. i've been told that yes the language courses are free, but it's a matter of balancing your workload (classes, other obligations) to even have the time to take the language courses...so taking two language courses may not be realistic. i can't answer the other specific questions you have on the language courses - that's something i'll like to know too, but waiting until i get more information in the mail regarding the pre-course before looking into it.

3) for myself, i'm planning to be there 18+ months. i have an interest in working in Asia after MBA school, so if an internship extends my stay past 18 months, i'll be a-okay with that.

best of luck! :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:37
Mbatogo...cool, thanks for the info! Although CEIBS does an increasingly good job of marketing its program, some of these quirkier details have not been made too clear. Perhaps, it's just a matter of being lost in translation. However, I thought that all foreign students who were not fluent in Mandarin were required to take Mandarin. I didn't think it was a matter of simply balancing workload and such. Please clarify this point based on whatever materials you've received in the admissions packet or received from the student ambassadors. It is indeed good to know that there are some ladies applying to the program.

Mbatogo, I think you once stated that you were from the US, specifically from the left coast, right? Do you know if large numbers of Americans have applied to CEIBS this year? Have you connected with any oter admits from the US and are they also planning to live in the dorms? What's the buzz about the school among the admitted folks? Please share any other thoughts you have.

Ciao.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 10:39
So from the admission package, there's a page covering the Chinese pre-course for foreign MBA students. Here's some information that hopefully will help answer your question:

"An assessment examination will be scheduled in early August for all non-native Chinese speakers. Those who fail to pass the examination may be barred from registering in the higher level courses offered by CEIBS during the first year of MBA study. The full sequence of courses (pre-course, plus evening courses during Terms 1-3) is designed to ensure successful completion of the CEIBS Chinese Language Competency (CLC) test that is a mandatory requirement for achieving the CEIBS MBA degree. Students can choose to follow a non-CEIBS course of Chinese language study, but they must ensure that their chosen curriculum includes the content to be covered in the required CEIBS CLC examination."

So sounds like - yes, mandatory to learn mandarin. For myself, I'm planning to attend the pre-course in July and continuing with the mandarin lessons. One of my goals is to be fluent in Mandarin - so this is going to be a positive yet challenging push for myself.

Yup - I'm from California. I don't know any one else who have attended or will be attending CEIBS, so that's why I was hoping to get connected with some of them via this forum.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:40
MBAtogo...thanks for all the information. You've provided the most visibility I've ever read about CEIBS' langauge requirements. This is good to know. In terms of those who fail the initial assessment exam "not being able to regsiter for higher courses offered by CEIBS during the first year of MBA study", which you alluded to: Does this refer to higher level Chinese language classes or actual MBA program courses? You see, I'd read somewhere, perhaps on the www.find-mba.com website, which no one has previously mentioned on this thread, that some of the more advanced MBA program courses involve Chinese language content in terms of lectures and reading/case materials. I don't think this is the case since the MBA program is officially in English but I think I read that in several places. Anyway, do check out the find-mba website below. It is a virtual treasure trove of info. about CEIBS and related regional programs. Don't just read the various threads on CEIBS alone, as the ones covering HKUST, Guanghua, Tsinghua, Fudan, the Singaporean schools, and the pan-Asian forums, also contain lots of comparative info. about CEIBS in telation to its peer schools. Search for these threads on the site since they provide good first-hand data and comments on various trends in Asian business school development.

Do check out the Sino-Manager rankings provided on the link below. These are in Chinese but I think there is a translation that follows. I also remember the latest Sino Manager ranking listing Tsinghua as #1, with CEIBS as #1A! It appears that CEIBS moved up from its previous slot of #2 to #1A! Alas, I let you all dig into this material at your leisure.

Finally, Mbatogo - are you NorCal or SoCal. I'm from the former. Did you attend the CEIBS/Top Asian B-Schools presentation in LA or SF this past Fall? If you're from NorCal, I might have seen you either the CEIBS or HKUST info. sessions.

Find-MBA... http://www.find-mba.com/board/13100

Oh yeah, one more thing...does anyone know if CEIBS allows anonymous internet surfing and research online or is it the type of arrangement they have at many Mainland airports, whereby one has to scan one's passport/ID card to gain access to the WIFI/landline network? Of course, many academic institutions and businesses require users to log in to their systems before using them but those networks don't block certain sites. Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this arrangement?

Ciao ciao!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:52
haha! i was at the Top Asia MBA session in SF! i actually asked the last question on that session (regarding exchange programs) - not sure if you remember. small world. i'm from San Francisco

thanks for the helpful information below. i'll check the links out. not sure about the internet surfing.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2011, 23:29
Haha! It is a small world. I think I remember you but won't describe your appearance here in order to protect your privacy. I remember walking in at the last moment to that session because I had been relaxing in the garden outside because I thought the TopAsianB-Schools session was after the regular "Why an MBA" session which was going on at the time. Only after eating lunch outside in that lovely garden did I realize that the two sessions were going on concurrently! I came just at the end and remember that a female attendee asking the last question right as I was walking in the door. That was quite a long time ago but I think you hung around and spoke to some of the HKUST students who were studying at Haas at the time. I was there too. I recall that you were wearing a black suit - but then again so were other Asian-American gals but I'm pretty sure I remember you since you asked some of the HKUST guys some questions. I know you - just like me - were dinged by HKUST. Did you attend the HKUST session in SF? You probably didn't but then again, you wouldn't have missed much as only about 12 or 15 people attended the HKUST event and it wasn't all that exciting. I'm from the South Bay - SJ! Some of the data on find-mba.com is a bit dated but it provides good insight. The Sino Manager link is a bit dated too but there are newer versions of the rankings that you can search for. Enjoy!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 02:18
Hi guys, I stumbled upon this forum just recently.

Few questions:

Any more new admits? I noticed that the decision date for r2 is not until April 2nd. So there is still time.

And thanks to mbatogo for sharing her experience. I think you're at an enviable spot right now. You already know that you're admitted and all you need to do left is preparing for the move. Do you mind if I ask which Uni you did your undergraduate at and what field?

I was just curious whether B-School in Asia also take diversity in undergraduate study fields into account.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 02:19
Oh and I'm in the middle of the process of applying for r3.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 02:21
One more specific question that I forgot to ask. The admission page stated that we needed to have the original GMAT score sent to the school. Is this really necessary if I have already included a copy of my GMAT score that I have on my hand?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 03:10
Oh well, since this message thread is becoming sort of like a "free for all", let me step back into the fray and add that Mbatogo is the type of gal whose looks will definitely disrupt the boys from their studies at CEIBS! Consider yourselves warned! I'll leave it at that!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2011, 08:48
haha - thanks xuexoa for the nice comment.

aspiringmbacandidate: when you took the gmat, you should have selected CEIBS as one of the schools to receive the official test score. if not, you can go back to the GMAT website and request them to send the official scores. i went to UCD with a Managerial Economics BS degree. good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 21:27
Thanks for the replies. Good overall info on the forum. For those of you who didn't have the GMAT score sent directly to the school right after you took your exam, I recently checked with the admission officer and he said that as long as you forward the confirmation-email-of-your-resend-request before the application deadline, that should be ok.

Here are some pictures of the campus for you guys.
Attachments

File comment: Inner Area
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG [ 32.81 KiB | Viewed 7691 times ]

File comment: School Entrance
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 31.33 KiB | Viewed 7689 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 21:31