Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [84]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wow - fantastic debrief.
Congratulations!
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
wow, amazing and inspring story!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Send PM
Thank you, bb. You have done an amazing job to hold this fort. This is truely a godsend forum.

And thanks to "willigetmylifeback". Sending you a lot of wishes for your next attempt.
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
talk2vj can you please give me some suggestions on Verbal? I really need help to improve my verbal score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congrats on achieving your score !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks vikasjha.

willigetmylifeback - I can certainly help you. Let me know

1. When you are planning to take GMAT.
2. How are you preparing for the verbal. If you can tell me about your reading source, test strategy, etc, it will be helpful. Also, let me know everything you have tried so far such as tutors, online course.
3. Weakness of subject area in that order. For example, in my case, it was RC -> CR -> SC. But for you , it could be different.

The more information you can provide, the more I can suggest.

Now, let me state the general strategy that is same for SC, CR, and RC

1. It has been said before , and I am going to say again. Focus on quality rather than quantity. Use the OG questions as the guide to improve the concepts and not just to test your caliber or your progress. Once I have more information from you, I will talk about OG's SC , CR and RC questions separately.
2. Are you maintaining error log? In this attempt, I did this differently. Now, it is up to you how much information you want to keep. In my case, I have error log for SC, CR, and RC separately although in all honesty I used it for SC and CR only. I have reviewed occasionally.
3. Week planning – In this attempt, I planned ahead what I was going to do the current week and the next week. And if , for some unforeseeable reason, I was not able to adhere to my plan in the current week, I would revise my next week plan.
4. Mock test - I mentioned in my test about the mock tests. Do not take the mock test casually. The mock test really judges two things - the clarity of concept and the strategy. It's like driving a new car. Well, you know the concept. You know how to change gear, how to maneuver on the street. It's the strategy ( and of course practice) that differentiates NASCAR driver from normal driver. If you don't have strategy, you need to device one. I will share some strategies later. But do understand that the strategy has human element. It impersonates the human nature. I mentioned in my post that if I would spend too much time in RC and if the next question was CR, I was doomed to pick the wrong answer. I created several strategies to solve this. And finally, I was able to overcome this.

5.Finally, this is the most important thing that you can do in your overall preparation. Believe me, if you do this, it will improve your reasoning, you will become proactive, and you will prepare for uncomfortable situation. I mentioned about this little bit in my gmat experience. Here we go - When you do not solve the question correctly, categorize into

a) Concept issue - As the name suggests, the question was not answered correctly because you were not clear with the concept. Now, the definition of "concept" varies. My definition of concept is simple - If I don't know why the correct answer is the right answer, I don't know the concept. Now, it is up to you how you learn the concept. I've quoted one example about "now" and "once" in the above post. This concept was not mentioned anywhere. Also, refer to good books to get the concept. In my case, Knewton really helped me to improve my SC skills.
b) Silly Mistake - If you are making the silly mistake, it means that you know the concept. You need to focus how you can avoid the silly mistake. Let me give you an example. The most silly mistakes that I did in quant was in the data sufficiency quant problem. In that, I never used to read the question correctly. So I pushed myself to improve it. Let me give you another example from CR. After reading CR, I used to arrive to two choices. And then I used to pick the wrong one. On the analysis, I realized that my memory is not strong enough to retain all the information. So I started making grid, striking off the answer choices, and then picking the right one.
c) Educated Guess - I talked about this in the above post. The only time you have to do this if you don't have enough time to attempt the question, or , in my case, I categorically defined to skip one or two CR questions between 17 and 31 ( or 33- I don't remember now).
d) Plain Guess - In you preparation, you need to avoid this. In my book, there is no such thing as "guessing with no basis". The obvious question is how to avoid "plain guessing" and adopt " educated guessing". There is no book to detail the steps. But, this is a good news. Don't you think? Since there is no written material, you can write anything that makes sense to you. For example, you can write that whenever you see one answer in decimal and the other answers are in integer, in all likely the answer in decimal will not be the correct answer in the quant. Or, instead of skipping, if only I solve for the answer C using the plug-in concept, I will know that either the answer will be less than C or equal to C or greater than C. In this case, you increase your chances of picking the correct answer. Don't you think?

Let me know if you have question about the general strategy.

Originally posted by talk2vj on 24 Apr 2011, 01:34.
Last edited by talk2vj on 24 Apr 2011, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
:) wonderful Post. My heartiest congratulations to you !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks gurpreetsingh.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thx for sharing and congrats.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks lazerguy82. Best of luck to you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks bb for selecting this post for the "Best Post Series". :lol: I am elated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
First of all, congrats on your 720 and thanks so much for the great debrief! (and kudos to you!)

I too find GMATPill RC method extremely useful and I can say that this strategy works for me. I have exhausted the RC passages in OG12 and I want to move on to LSAT passages. Because you mentioned about using LSAT during your prep, could you pls tell me which LSAT materials you used for RC? Did you use the Official LSAT Superprep? or just the compiled passages in the forum?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello windofchange,

Thanks for the wishes.

I am not sure about the superprep. I checked out a book from the local library. It has collections of last 10 years papers. Also, I got solutions from Kalpan. Now, the biggest problem with RC is that no matter how much you practice, you will never be confident of the answers. Atleast, it was the case with me. So make sure that you have strategy for short, medium and long passages. For example, if I get a short passage, I will either read the whole passage or apply GMAT Pill strategy based on the nature of the passage and difficulty level. If the short passage is about scientific discovery and the content is dense, I found the GMAT Pill strategy every effective. But if the short passage is about management and the content is light, I normally read the whole passage. On the same note, I followed different strategy for long passages. If you have a strategy that works for you, the chances are you will make less mistake.

Hope this helps!!!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
talk2vj wrote:
Thanks bb for selecting this post for the "Best Post Series". :lol: I am elated.

It is indeed a wonderful post. Thank you for posting it ,and I would request you to keep us updated about your B-school Journey.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
talk2vj--thanks for your detailed reply. I really appreciate that.

Well, I didn't think of finding the strategy based on the nature of RC passages until I read your advice! I have been using GMATPill RC method for all types of passages, but I will try changing my reading strategy.

Would you mind elaborating your RC strategies for medium and long passages? I'd love to know yours and want to try whether they work for me :)

Thanks for your effort to help people here.
Wish you all the best in your application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Super post. This post would be a light at the end of the tunnel for many who have made more than one attempt and still can't make to the 700 club
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks gurpreetsingh, windofchange, santosh.

Windofchange - Let me get back to you on the RC. Sorry for this delay. Extremely busy!!But will post my RC strategy.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts