Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 05:55 It is currently 07 May 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I do not mean to be rude, but can we keep this thread out of "Can I make it to Harvard?" type questions. There is a separate forum for that and please do use that effectively. Let us discuss about the anxieties from the essays and start counting down to the deadline for R1 :)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Other
GPA: 3.27
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'll throw in my stats as well. Planning on applying R2.

At Matriculation:
26/M/American
GPA: 3.3 from top 50 Undergrad Business school known for grade deflation (graduated in top 25%)
Undergrad Major: Accounting/Finance
Licensed CPA
WE: 2 1/2 years at Big 4 firm in Advisory; Part of significant lay-offs; 2 years at boutique RE Investment fund
GMAT: 730 (skewed towards verbal) 6.0 AWA
E/C: Leader of student group in UG; Leader of successful cover band post-grad

Post-Grad goals: Working in Cleantech/Alt. Energy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
losttraveler wrote:
Post undergrad: Goal is McK, Bain, BCG

Thanks much.

You should lead with that in all of your essays! It is very unusual for a HBS grad to end up working in your "goal" companies. I think Adcom will see you as an applicant with unique postgrad goals... :twisted:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi

Here's my profile
Full Time Experience: 2.5 years (Worked for 2 more years in the same company during my undergrads)
Academics: 80% (Indian system of scoring)
GMAT: 740
Role: Currently training Process owner at a Global BPO company. Addressing the learning and development needs of 80+ employees. Grew from an associate's level to the current level in 4 years.
Extra Curriculars: Class Representative at the university, Member of the planning committee for extra curriculars.
Post MBA: Consulting

How does the profile look? Is it any good?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey Sandy any advise for HBS app would be appreciated. Also trgetting columbia, LBS, Insead, Stanford.

At matriculation:
GPA: UK degree upper second. Converts to GPA 3.3-3.8
GMAT: To take (700+ or close to is needed for these schools)
WE: 6 years banking, 2 years entrepreneur
EC: Sports, leadership positions, community work
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
WORTHWHILE PROFILE OF HBS DEAN NOHRIA IN POETS AND QUANTS--LOOKS LIKE DIALING BACK THE CASE METHOD IS FOR REAL, ESP AFTER FIRST YEAR https://is.gd/fkKEaX

Nohria says that admitted students would not attend if you only offered a two-year party.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, well, if you pose the question that way,
[highlight]BUT IF HALF THE CLASS WERE SENT OFF TO PARTY ON FIRST DAY AND THE OTHER HALF
WERE GIVEN THE MBA PROGRAM, AT THE END OF TWO YEARS, EMPLOYERS WOULD NOT REALLY CARE
WHICH HALF YOU WERE IN , AND SOME OF THOSE PARTY KIDS, ALL ON THEIR OWN, WOULD DO GREAT THINGS.[/highlight]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Sandy,

do you know the average GRE broken down by sections that some of the admitted class had this incoming year? Do you have any stats on admitted students and their gre scores? They did not post this info except for the HBS 2+2 section.

Can anyone who was accepted into HBS and used a GRE score tell us what his score was? I am not sure if I should retake the test again only to bring up the scores by 30 points to feel safer. Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
WHEN AM I GETTING MY 2+2 INTERVIEW INVITE????

CONGRATS TO EARLY 2+2 FILERS, DEADLINE WAS NOON TODAY.
Hope Her Majesty Dean Leopold is full of hot dogs are raring to go thru that pile.

When can you expect an interview invite?????

Hmmmmmmmmmm, tuff to say. Last year, when app. was due on JUNE 15TH, THEY STARTED sending out dings and invites
on July 19th, sorta 34 days later. See below, for what each looks like:
But last year the entire 2+2 cohort had to apply by June 15th--this year, 2+2 kids can apply over all four deadlines (July, Oct, Dec, April) sooooooo, in theory they will get less apps for Round one, and send out the first round of dings and invites earlier??? YOU tell me.
Hey Dee, time to blog this, my dear.

Quote:
[JULY 19TH, 2010]
Warm greetings from Harvard Business School!

After careful consideration of your 2+2 Program application materials, we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview with a member of our MBA Admissions Board. We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better through our interview process.

We use an online scheduling system to manage our interview process. Since we know that many of our interviewees will need to make travel arrangements to our campus in Boston for their interview, we are sending this message in advance so that you are aware of our interview schedule. We hope this advance notice is helpful to you as you plan for your interview.

All interviews will take place on our campus in Boston. We will have interview slots available at 9:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 3:00pm every day from August 18 to August 24. You will receive another email from MBA Admissions at noon on Tuesday, July 20 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. Please note that all of our interview slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In the past, our interview slots have filled very quickly, so we encourage you to be prompt in selecting your slot.

You may find it helpful to review the activities available on our campus during your visit, as well as hotel and travel information. Please see our website for more details. Note that we will offer a lunchtime information session exclusively for 2+2 interviewees every day from August 18-24.

Again, we hope this advance notice is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Business School, and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely yours,
MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Dillon House
Boston, MA 02163

WELL THAT WAS EASY, BUT THEY ALSO SEND OUT THESE: :evil:
Quote:
July 19, 2010

Dear -----:

Thank you for your interest in the Harvard Business School 2+2 Program. We conceived this Program as a way to encourage college leaders to discover the many paths that can be opened by an MBA. This season we received over 800 applications for a Program designed for about 100 participants. We wish we could extend many more offers of admission. I regret to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to the 2+2 Program.
Although this is disappointing news, please understand that this letter says “not now” vs. “not ever.” The 2+2 cohort is only a small segment of the Harvard Business School MBA Class of 2015; we hope that you will continue to grow and develop as a student and a leader and consider an application to the MBA Program in the future.

Let me close by thanking you again for the spirit of adventure you have demonstrated by applying at this early stage of your professional life. We respect and value the considerable investment you made in your application and hope that the process of reflection and self-assessment has been valuable.

Very truly yours,

Deirdre C. Leopold
Managing Director, MBA Admissions & Financial Aid
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sandy, since students would need around 3-4 weeks to plan their trips to Boston, the interview invites should be coming out in the next two right ??
rpsingh wrote:
Sandy, since students would need around 3-4 weeks to plan their trips to Boston, the interview invites should be coming out in the next two right ??

COULD BE, BUT DONT SHOOT ME, A LOT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY APPS THEY GET.
LAST YEAR THEY MOTORED THRU SORTA 800 APPS IN ~30 DAYS, BUT AS NOTED, THIS YEAR THERE ARE FOUR DEADLINES INSTEAD OF ONE, BUT MY GUESS IS, LOTS OF 2+2 KIDS WERE TARGETING TODAY, JUST OUT OF HABIT AND DESIRE TO START SENIOR YEAR WITH A REAL FIRECRACKER UP YOUR BEEEEEHIND.
THEY CAN RUN INTERVIEWS IN LATE AUGUST, AND EVEN IN SEPTEMBER, WHEN CLASSES HAVE ALREADY STARTED, JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR FULL TIME APPS. SO LOGISTICALLY, THEY DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. BUT YEAH, MY GUESS IS, THEY WOULD PREFER TO DO ALL ROUND ONE INTERVIEWS IN AUGUST, AND YOU CAN START COUNTING BACKWARDS FROM THAT. THE GURU PREDICTS INTERVIEW LETTERS START GOING OUT ~JULY 25TH. AND COULD BE EARLIER.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
rpsingh wrote:

COULD BE, BUT DONT SHOOT ME, A LOT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY APPS THEY GET.
LAST YEAR THEY MOTORED THRU SORTA 800 APPS IN ~30 DAYS, BUT AS NOTED, THIS YEAR THERE ARE FOUR DEADLINES INSTEAD OF ONE, BUT MY GUESS IS, LOTS OF 2+2 KIDS WERE TARGETING TODAY, JUST OUT OF HABIT AND DESIRE TO START SENIOR YEAR WITH A REAL FIRECRACKER UP YOUR BEEEEEHIND.
THEY CAN RUN INTERVIEWS IN LATE AUGUST, AND EVEN IN SEPTEMBER, WHEN CLASSES HAVE ALREADY STARTED, JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR FULL TIME APPS. SO LOGISTICALLY, THEY DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING. BUT YEAH, MY GUESS IS, THEY WOULD PREFER TO DO ALL ROUND ONE INTERVIEWS IN AUGUST, AND YOU CAN START COUNTING BACKWARDS FROM THAT. THE GURU PREDICTS INTERVIEW LETTERS START GOING OUT ~JULY 25TH. AND COULD BE EARLIER.

interviews are to be held on campus from august 17th to august 23rd. that was a very specific thing in the app, if you are selected for an interview, you HAVE to come to campus between aug 17th and 23rd, and the notification date on the vip login page is september 1st (don't know how much to trust that notification date, but I am pretty sure about the interviews dates)
thanks, more proof of late July interview notice, which will give everyone time to make arrangements.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3470 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Yeah, interviews for the early round are ONLY conducted on campus between August 17-23 and we had like check a box that said that we accept to come to campus should we be selected for the interviews, or else our application would not be considered anymore or something like that.

As you said, working backwards from August 17, if you can assume that they'll at least give applicants three weeks to plan their trips (which isn't much if you think about international students), it'll be out the last week of July, I hope.

Sandy: Most of my friends who were planning to apply in the "Early" round decided to opt out and apply later (Various reasons - some wanted to mention their summer internships, some just wanted more time to take the GMAT over the summer and so on). Do you think this trend is likely in the whole application pool? And do you have any insight on how they're planning to split up the intake with four rounds?
https://jezebel.com/5818154/facebooks-to ... -questions
Smart overview of HBS-alum/Larry Summers mentee/GOOG and FB honco Sheryl Sandberg in Jezebel --working off a longer New Yorker profile, this analysis spotlights key issues in Sandberg's personal credo, viz. her anti-affirmative action for women stand vs. her privilged background.

Quote:
Sandberg's particular philosophy of power and why women don't have more of it. Which is to say, why she's less interested in structural analysis of gender inequality and more in telling women to get off their asses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
it will be really interesting to know how many people applied in the early round !!! and I hope they keep their acceptance rate to 12-13% and interview 25% of the applicants as they did last year.
whiplash2411 wrote:

Sandy: Most of my friends who were planning to apply in the "Early" round decided to opt out and apply later (Various reasons - some wanted to mention their summer internships, some just wanted more time to take the GMAT over the summer and so on). Do you think this trend is likely in the whole application pool? And do you have any insight on how they're planning to split up the intake with four rounds?

HA HA, that is the $64,000.00 quetion, but HBS knows something no one else knows at this point. How many kids applied by yesterday at noon! Last year they got 800 applications --but there was only one round. If they got another 800, they may begin to think, Jeez, this 2+2 is really catching on. If they got 400, they may think, well, the other 400 will dribble in over the year, etc. Of course, no one really knows, but remember, they dont have to deal with these kids actually showing up for 3 years or so, so that dance card is empty, and if they want to expand the program fr. sorta 110 admits to ~150 they can do that too, and
not worry about screwing 50 full time applicants til way later. They also might be contemplating expanding the class, as is often mentioned, to 10 sections from 9. And they always have the Waitlist option, if they got lots of apps and want to hedge their bets, they can accept 30 kids and put 30 on WL and see what happens on Oct. 3rd.

Long story short, I DONT KNOW, and at this point, aside from that one data point, NEITHER DO THEY, BUT IT WILL BE SOME VARIANT OF THE ABOVE.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well technically, since the new 2+2 encompasses seniors too, they are going to accept around 125-150 (100 of the junior 2+2 and 25-50 college seniors) by the end of the four rounds.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts