Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 21:50 It is currently 04 May 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [8]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Building an Alternative Transcript [#permalink]
Kudos to both of you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey ACNGuy,

I took about 7 classes at UCLA Extension as well, in both online and in person. Each adcom has considered these courses to be valuable pieces of information (Haas and Texas specifically mentioned it). I originally took them for knowledge, before I decided to just do a full MBA.

My thoughts on the classes:

- Principles of Accounting A/B were pretty easy
- Intermediate Accounting got tough
- Math for Finance, if your girlfriend has an engineering background, will be pretty straightforward.
- Basic Managerial Finance is a good course that should be doable for math-types as well. Its basically Intro to Corp Fin

Doing about 2/quarter while working full time should be the max. Some of the Intermediate Accounting took up a lot of time
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Does anyone have any insight about taking a proctored final exam for Berkeley? I live in Chicago and there doesn't seem to be any local proctors.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
jbharris88 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight about taking a proctored final exam for Berkeley? I live in Chicago and there doesn't seem to be any local proctors.

I did a proctored test at Skokie library - here is the person's contact info:

Bruce Brigell
Coordinator of Information Services
Skokie Public Library
5215 Oakton Street
Skokie, IL 60077
847/324-3142
847/673-7797 [fax]
bbrigell@skokielibrary.info

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Bookmarks
ACNguy,

I would highly recommend this class (from personal experience) - https://calculus.sfsu.edu/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I'm applying to business schools for round 2 and am currently taking 2 classes through UCLA online extension: intro to calculus and business statistics. I should be able to get an A in calculus, but stat is a tough class. Bordering on A/A- there.

Both classes are a lot of work, and combined with full-time job and applicaton essays, I basically have no life. Hopefully it can enhance my chances at wharton and booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Product Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
 Q44  V41 GMAT 2: 660  Q47  V35
GPA: 2.73
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer
Send PM
I just completed Business Statistics at UCLA Extension. I have an engineering background and this class was tough! The content wasn't greatly difficult, but it did require A LOT of time. I spent about 15 hours a week on the class and ended up getting an 'A'. Good class though, I definitely learned a lot.

-Daniel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but for those of you who have taken UCLA extension courses, would you recommend taking two courses in one quarter while working full time as well? I am thinking of taking Accounting 1A/1B and also Math for Management, both online. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I cannot speak to the UCLA extension specifically, but I took two courses very similar to what you are proposing here at the same time while working. It was a lot of work and I did not absorb all of the information presented because I just had to get it done. So I would say it is a viable option if you need to freshen up, but if you are doing this for fun I would choose one. Also consider you may have to take intro accounting as part of your core at whatever program you go to unless they offer an ability for you to test out.

Becky
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
I took a calculus class at UCLA Extension (online) and that was the only class I took towards building an alternate transcript. In choosing that school, I scoured the board and found UCLA Extension on many responses. It seems to be the most popular online option for courses. Considering I did poorly in calculus in college, I have a feeling that the class was a helpful move in the application process. Someone else already mentioned the cost and for me, the online course was worth it because my work schedule made it impossible for me to attend night/weekend classes at the time, or at least in a consistent manner. For the online course, there were readings and homework assignments that were due at the beginning of each week, but everyone is free to complete the material at any time until the deadline. That let me work on things when I had free time, and put things off when work got hectic.

When I applied I wrote in the optional essay about this course grade along with my GMAT score to show I was capable of handling the quant/academic rigor of an MBA program despite a horrendous academic showing in college.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Does it make sense to take an intro level calculus class if you already have one on your transcript? I'm in the process of registering for some alternate transcript classes now and I hadn't been considering Intro to Calc classes, but my Calc grades on my transcript are C's so maybe it makes sense?

Also I'm not sure I ever saw an answer to the question of whether or not b-schools discount online classes vs traditional ones.

Great thread, thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM