Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Re: For every 100 automobile drivers who are involved in a [#permalink]
anordinaryguy wrote:
"evaluate the argument" : You need to find a seed, if known, could help in strengthening or weakening the argument
"resolve paradox" : You already have two opposite thoughts and you need to fill the gap that could help these opposite thoughts coincide together.

In this question, Complete argument is going in one direction, there is no opposite thought.

You have been given few probabilities (chances of happening A in the total number of chances), so that means you need to find if there could be anything (probability of occurrence of something else) which could strengthen or weaken the argument.
And because u need to find the probability, any choice that is mentioning only 'Number of one thing' can be ruled out. & here you are remained with 'A' and 'B'.

Now A can be chosen because it gives us an additional data about the probability of collision due to brake failure. If we know this probability, we would be able find out whether this probability is better than the probability(1/10,000) of malfunction of the new safety feature that is being claimed to reduce the probability of "brake - failure collision"

but the question says ". A new safety feature exists that is nearly 100 percent successful in preventing collisions due to brake failure." . Doesn't this mean that the probability of collision due to brake failures is already decreased?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Though I got it wrong, I figured later it's A:

If the probabilty to get involved in an accident due to break failure is 0.5 %, the new system would make no difference in safety. But if the probability was 70 %, it would be a great help. Thus A.

For the other answers: B,C,D out of scope. E: I chose E first, because I thougt that if you had the number of cars with the new feature you could compare it to the new number of accidents --> but a lower number could be influence by other factor. Hence A stays correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
why is c incorrect?????????
was confused between a and c // chose c...
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts