Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
One question about the word limit. The word limit for essay 2 is 750. Is it okay that I have only about 600 words?
I wrote a topic with an example for about 600 words. I am a bit hesitating to add another aspect or example because I do not have it to be confusing. What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shuenhon wrote:
Question: I don't have to wait for my recommender to submit his letter for me to submit mine right?

Copied from the chat transcript:
We will allow for recommendations to be submitted after the deadline but will need then shortly afterwards.

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ch ... 09-21.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V41
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Send PM
Chaolien wrote:
One question about the word limit. The word limit for essay 2 is 750. Is it okay that I have only about 600 words?
I wrote a topic with an example for about 600 words. I am a bit hesitating to add another aspect or example because I do not have it to be confusing. What do you think?

i think that's a bit short...+ or - 10% is acceptable..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Essays and application questions have been released!! https://blogs.chicagobooth.edu/boothinsider

1. What are your short- and long-term goals, and how will a Chicago Booth MBA help you reach them? (600 words)

2. At Chicago Booth, we believe each individual has his or her own leadership style. How has your family, culture, and/or environment influenced you as a leader? (750 words)

Does anyone know the format requirement for the first two essays? font, font size, spacing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
Chaolien wrote:

Does anyone know the format requirement for the first two essays? font, font size, spacing?

I don't think it specifies. Prsonally, I used 1 inch margins, restated the question in the heading, and then 12pt font 1.5 x spaced.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
kt780 wrote:
Chaolien wrote:

i think that's a bit short...+ or - 10% is acceptable..

If it takes 600 or 500 words to get an essay that's clear, crisp, and your point across done, then that's what you should do. As noted, they only say maximum word and not minimum.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.24
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
I don't think of it like that - quality is more important than quality. If you can add stuff to it, great. but it shouldn't be just for the sake of making your essay 750 words. If your story can be said in 600, great!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Chaolien wrote:

Have you had anyone read your essays yet? That's the litmus test of whether or not you are being thorough as well as concise. If someone could read that essay without knowing the question and still be able to tell you what question the essay answers then you've done your job.

I've read several essays that people thought were done but never fully answered the question. You have a couple of days so it's worth it to take the time and do this.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V41
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Chaolien wrote:

Have you had anyone read your essays yet? That's the litmus test of whether or not you are being thorough as well as concise. If someone could read that essay without knowing the question and still be able to tell you what question the essay answers then you've done your job.

I've read several essays that people thought were done but never fully answered the question. You have a couple of days so it's worth it to take the time and do this.

rightly said...completely agree with cheetrah...

but getting ur essays read by others in last few days can be deadly...i have 2 themes for the presentation...now 2 of my friends like theme 1 and other 2 are supportin theme 2...i like both the themes and now i am in a fix :-D ...i think i am going to toss a coin...
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Chaolien wrote:

I think you should go ahead and add the other aspect if you feel it is significant to your application. Typically B-schools allow about 10% over the word limit

AS for having my essays read, yes I have. Since I have experience from applying last year I have been able to control the length pretty well and I have received really good feedback except for a few stupid errors in grammar.

Best of luck for your apps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kt780 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Chaolien wrote:

rightly said...completely agree with cheetrah...

but getting ur essays read by others in last few days can be deadly...i have 2 themes for the presentation...now 2 of my friends like theme 1 and other 2 are supportin theme 2...i like both the themes and now i am in a fix :-D ...i think i am going to toss a coin...

I wouldn't get feedback from ANYONE new. But if there is someone who knows you and has maybe read an earlier draft, then ask them. I agree that getting feedback from new people so close to the deadline can be deadly.

I will say that I would hope we all would get objective opinions on our essays before submitting them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Chaolien wrote:

i think youre fine but see if you can expand on anything a bit more and pitch yourself more. dont have to overdo it and blab about stuff that isnt meaningful to fill in the space, a shortfall is fine as long as it isnt massively short
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Hi all!

I can see a question in the application proof (Are you Hispanis or Latino?) that I can't find through my online application. Therefore, it appears blank at the moment. Anyone knows where it is?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Etreus wrote:
Hi all!

I can see a question in the application proof (Are you Hispanis or Latino?) that I can't find through my online application. Therefore, it appears blank at the moment. Anyone knows where it is?

Thanks!

I couldn't find that question or the "Ethnic Group" question on the application either. I've submitted my application already and if there is a problem, I'm sure they will contact the applicant. Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just one more day to go for the R1 deadline!! Everyone ready with their apps?? :?: I'm still working on tying some loose ends, will take another couple of hours at least!

BTW has anyone faced any issues with the application system - slow responses, upload problems etc.?
I haven't faced any yet.. so just checking....

All the best everyone! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Just one more day to go for the R1 deadline!! Everyone ready with their apps?? :?: I'm still working on tying some loose ends, will take another couple of hours at least!

BTW has anyone faced any issues with the application system - slow responses, upload problems etc.?
I haven't faced any yet.. so just checking....

All the best everyone! :)

No major issues here. The only thing that was strange to me was when I uploaded my resume, which was a one page Microsoft Word document, it appeared as two pages in preview mode in the application. I fixed this by saving it as a PDF and uploading rather than a word document. Just a heads up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbain2012a wrote:
No major issues here. The only thing that was strange to me was when I uploaded my resume, which was a one page Microsoft Word document, it appeared as two pages in preview mode in the application. I fixed this by saving it as a PDF and uploading rather than a word document. Just a heads up.

Hey! Thanks for the heads up!!

That does sound a little strange. I uploaded mine as a PDF and so didn't realize there could be issues uploading it as a Word doc..Will have to see if my essays get screwed up in a similar way since I plan to upload them as word docs..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts