Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:38 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MDF wrote:
svalik wrote:
Just curious... do they call up applicants according to their respective timezones? ie do they call up say uk applicants during EST or uk time?

any dings yet? seems like everyone here is either waiting or accepted...

There have been a few JTerm and ED dings. You have to go back a few dozen pages though...

Dont thing there have been any without interview - have there? For ED specifically
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
MCE7 wrote:

Thanks.. any one got result/interview call for ED after submitting on 09/22 ?

While I have no facts to back this up, I think they run a programmed screen that sends out invites automatically if you meet certain criteria. That is the only explanation I can think of for people that get invites next day even at times where volume should have been high (close to the deadline). The other people that get sent invites after a week or more are probably getting that from an actual person. And there is probably a plus to getting it from actual person, as someone who gets it from a computer may not necessarily have an application that a admin person likes, versus someone who gets it from a person has at least one person that likes their app. Opinions?

Again, completely pulling this outta my behind, just a theory.

And no, i havent heard anything either, this is the beginning of my third week since going complete.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
mbaer2012 wrote:
MCE7 wrote:

Thanks.. any one got result/interview call for ED after submitting on 09/22 ?

While I have no facts to back this up, I think they run a programmed screen that sends out invites automatically if you meet certain criteria. That is the only explanation I can think of for people that get invites next day even at times where volume should have been high (close to the deadline). The other people that get sent invites after a week or more are probably getting that from an actual person. And there is probably a plus to getting it from actual person, as someone who gets it from a computer may not necessarily have an application that a admin person likes, versus someone who gets it from a person has at least one person that likes their app. Opinions?

Again, completely pulling this outta my behind, just a theory.

And no, i havent heard anything either, this is the beginning of my third week since going complete.

I am highly skeptical of this. Past data indicates people with all specs "above average" - work ex, gmat, gpa etc. - having been dinged without interview. We could argue on the 'data' they use for the screen, but this doesn't seem right anyways.

Glanced through last year's data. it seems many applicants got their denied w/o interview decision bang on the 8 week mark. Dates Below

Applied Denied
10/6 12/8
9/4 11/2
1/5 3/3
1/11 3/9

Of course there are those who got decisions (denied) at the 4 week mark, but then variability is always there. Also, some folks who interviewed before the 8 week deadline, also received their decision alongwith those who may not have got an interview invite at all - which shows when its decision day, its a batch day in various directions (invite, denied, accepted etc.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
mbaer2012 wrote:
While I have no facts to back this up, I think they run a programmed screen that sends out invites automatically if you meet certain criteria.

You're wrong about the use of a computer programmed screening: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2010/10/clea ... ry-miller/

Quote:
CA: Walk us through the life of an application in your office from an operational standpoint. What happens between the time an applicant clicks “submit” and the time the committee offers a final decision (e.g. how many “reads” does it get, how long is each read, who reads it, does the committee convene to discuss it as a group, etc.)?

MM: I think one of the things that is a bit overwhelming is the volume that we deal with here. Having said that, I am delighted that there are so many people interested in attending, and we want to give everyone full consideration.

Once an applicant hits “submit,” his or her application goes to a first reader. Because we feel strongly that each application be reviewed by a qualified reviewer, we have very few outside readers in this role, and those who are are usually former employees of the admissions department.

Applicants can be invited to interview at any point in the process and being invited for an interview is a very positive signal to the applicant; the invitation is really, really important. A first reader can nominate an applicant for an interview, at which point candidates are sent a list of alumni in their local area who have volunteered and been trained to interview applicants. The applicants may choose whom they interview with and they arrange the interview. There is an interview format that we send to our alumni interviewers. They conduct the interview blind – which means that all they get is a resume of the applicant – following our format and return their answers to us.

The application then will go to a second reader. If an applicant hasn’t been nominated for an interview by the first reader, the second reader will also have the option to extend an invitation for an interview. I think this is very important because we all have our own biases and are very diverse in our backgrounds. Many of us have come from corporate America, others of us have worked at other business schools. I think it’s important for applicants to know that they get a 360-degree review and that they can be invited to interview at any point.

Then, if everyone agrees on a candidate, it’s easy. Dilemmas come with differences of opinion, so we work as a committee to reach consensus. Sometimes we’ll do an additional telephone interview or we’ll check references – we’ll do whatever it takes to make the right decision. Coming to Columbia is the most important decision applicants make and the most important decision we make. The people we accept will be Columbia alumni for life, and we want to make sure we select people who are right for the school.

Last year they interviewed 33% of applicants and accepted 15% of the entire pool. If they DID have a computer generated screening, the criteria they'd likely be using is GPA/GMAT score. However, to reiterate my point, there are several of us with GPA/GMAT scores much higher than CBS' mean who still waited 2+ weeks for an interview invite.

Your application is being reviewed by a human, not a computer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Hmm, i would think not just GMAT/GPA, but pretty much anything that is numbers based is up for being included. Tops for me (in addition to GMAT and GPA) would be years of experience, race, and starting and current income. I can't remember what else requires a number response. And again, my theory is not that its only a computer reviewing your application but that a computer initially reviews it for very specific components to expedite the interview invite process, after which your application goes through the readers as described in the above interview with MM. No one else thinks this might even be a possibility?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
MCE7 wrote:

I am highly skeptical of this. Past data indicates people with all specs "above average" - work ex, gmat, gpa etc. - having been dinged without interview. We could argue on the 'data' they use for the screen, but this doesn't seem right anyways.

Glanced through last year's data. it seems many applicants got their denied w/o interview decision bang on the 8 week mark. Dates Below

Applied Denied
10/6 12/8
9/4 11/2
1/5 3/3
1/11 3/9

Of course there are those who got decisions (denied) at the 4 week mark, but then variability is always there. Also, some folks who interviewed before the 8 week deadline, also received their decision alongwith those who may not have got an interview invite at all - which shows when its decision day, its a batch day in various directions (invite, denied, accepted etc.)

Rats. So some of us have another 7 weeks of this ...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
Anybody have the link to the J term thread? On the cell and can't find it. Want to check if there's action there.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
mbaer2012 wrote:
Hmm, i would think not just GMAT/GPA, but pretty much anything that is numbers based is up for being included. Tops for me (in addition to GMAT and GPA) would be years of experience, race, and starting and current income. I can't remember what else requires a number response. And again, my theory is not that its only a computer reviewing your application but that a computer initially reviews it for very specific components to expedite the interview invite process, after which your application goes through the readers as described in the above interview with MM. No one else thinks this might even be a possibility?

That or the first interviewers liked those who got a quick response, while those who haven't heard back yet either aren't under review yet or got passed onto the second interviewer?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just realized!!! Its been exactly a month since I first submitted!!!! :P

Feels like an important anniversary of some sort!!! :wink: :wink: :-D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am thrilled to report that the Columbia GSB Admissions team has officially joined the GMAT Club forum and will be available to address questions applicants may have:

Columbia GSB Admissions Team Answers Questions on GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
CBS adcom is so social media savvy. Their website is the most intuitive and useful of any bschool (besides looking great). Youtube page and Twitter are always up to date. And now embracing gmatclub?!? How much more in tune with applicants can you get?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
cunit2k5 wrote:
CBS adcom is so social media savvy. Their website is the most intuitive and useful of any bschool (besides looking great). Youtube page and Twitter are always up to date. And now embracing gmatclub?!? How much more in tune with applicants can you get?

They also have mobile apps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
As someone waiting for an interview call myself, I think it's sad but necessary to be realistic. When CBS is loving an app, they are sending out interview invites the next day. The remainder apps are likely being compared to each other so more time is needed.[/quote]

I agree. Some application are just obvious. Either the first or second person that read the app can send the interview invite. This is why in some cases the invite comes few days after submission. It would be interesting to know how much time passes between teh first and second reader.
Every day that passes I get a little less hopeful...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
3rd week's the...charm? Looking for that admit...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NoggieViking wrote:

Remember when we thought we were going to get calls on the week of the 26th? :lol:
That just seems silly now....

It definitely has to be this week!! I would prefer earlier in the week than later though! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbaer2012 wrote:
NoggieViking wrote:

Remember when we thought we were going to get calls on the week of the 26th? :lol:
That just seems silly now....

It definitely has to be this week!! I would prefer earlier in the week than later though! :wink:

I'll take it any time.. :)

I didn't do Yale last week as I didn't have that good of an essay for them.. Tuck is tomorrow, app ther eis finalized. Growing anxious about this whole thing now. What a crappy time this is, the waiting time that is..

That being said, I think the wait is often times much longer than 2 weeks... Losttraveled and Fudgeycakes, how long did you wait again?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
NoggieViking wrote:
I'll take it any time.. :)

I didn't do Yale last week as I didn't have that good of an essay for them.. Tuck is tomorrow, app ther eis finalized. Growing anxious about this whole thing now. What a crappy time this is, the waiting time that is..

That being said, I think the wait is often times much longer than 2 weeks... Losttraveled and Fudgeycakes, how long did you wait again?

Fudgeycakes? WTFLOL.

I went complete 8/29 and got the call 9/14, so just over 2 weeks. I think LT went complete 8/23 or 8/24, so would have been around 3 weeks for him.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts