Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 11:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:40) correct 21% (00:42) wrong based on 505 sessions
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

A. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi
B. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi
C. Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon
D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon
E. Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C. However, it seems to compare "Plants" with "Fungi at acquiring carbon", which makes no sense. Trying to find I more logicall coparision, my take was A. After that I realized that "are" is plural which does not match with fungi, which is singular. And here is another question: If A were [...] than is fungi, that would be better?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by PiyushK on 16 Jul 2014, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
Added spoiler.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [3] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

OA is C. However, it seems to compare "Plants" with "Fungi at acquiring carbon", which makes no sense. Trying to find I more logicall coparision, my take was A. After that I realized that "are" is plural which does not match with fungi, which is singular. And here is another question: If A were [...] than is fungi, that would be better?

What really makes this sentence clearer is the "in the form of carbon dioxide". This modifies carbon not fungi and hence should be placed as close as possible to its noun, carbon.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 17:26
I think this question about parallelism.... "at acquiring carbon,..... and converting." both are participal
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 04:37
noboru wrote:

Well - fungi is not singular...it is plural. Fungus is singular. Also A has modifier issue - it seems to say Fungi are in the form of carbon dioxide.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 15

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:

C simply makes the sentence easiest to read;
grouping plants and fungi in the beginning of the sentence allows "acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide".
No other option does the same.

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:

You need to look at the modifier following the underlined sentence, ... in refers to carbon and not fungi so the end of the main clause should be carbon.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 20

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 09:49
Same as others have pointed .. Option C is the best
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 06:21
Let me ask something here:

"in the form of Carbon Dioxide" is a prep phrase acting as an adjective an because of that it has to be close to what is actually modifying, that is "carbon"?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 05:45
noboru wrote:
Let me ask something here:

"in the form of Carbon Dioxide" is a prep phrase acting as an adjective an because of that it has to be close to what is actually modifying, that is "carbon"?

Thanks.

The context dictates that only carbon can take form of carbon dioxide, whereas fungi are organic (and consist of carbon). From what i have learned, noun modifier must be next to the noun it modifies, whereas verb modifier do not have to be (MGMAT SC Advanced modifier)
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [2] , given: 248

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let us clarify a few things first. ‘fungi’ are also a kind of lower level plants. It is plural and its singular form is ‘fungus’.

The real comparison is between plants and fungi, two different nouns.

The prepositional modifier ‘in the form of carbon dioxide’ must be close to its noun modifier ‘carbon’ , probably it is best to posit them next to next.

IMO, When you say ‘plants are’, then ther is no need to say ‘than are fungi’, since the comparison is straight between two nouns, rather than between what they do. However when you say ‘plants acquire’, then you have to also say ‘fungi acquire’ or ‘fungi do’ or some such appropriate form since, the comparison moves on to a dynamic action done by the two arms of comparison

A. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi---- two errors, wrong word order of carbon and use of ‘are fungi’
B. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi – wrong word order of carbon
C. Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon- correct word order and comparison
D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon – this is not a sentence but a fragment
E. Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi --- two errors; one of wrong word order and not using the action word for fungi.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 282

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 01:53
It is the modifier 'in the form of carbon-dioxide' that makes the difference. look out for the ans choice that modifies this phrase correctly. Also look out for more eff than V/S more efficient at..... than

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 05:08
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:

the more I study og question, the more I see that og question is great.

regarding oa c.

we do not need "fungi are" because there is ambiguity here. before "than" there is only one agent "plants" so, there is no ambiguity

if there are 2 agents before "than" , there is ambiguity and we have to add "do/dose" to avoid ambiguity. consider

plants like water more than fungi do.

there are 2 agents "plant" and "water" before "than" , so there is ambiguity. "do" clear the ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 00:38
it is 'plants' who are more efficient than fungi at something, so C !!! good question :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 00:38