GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 09:52

LIVE NOW!

How to Quickly Solve GMAT Questions - Chat with ExamPAL. Join HERE!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Sep 2018, 03:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:40) correct 20% (00:37) wrong based on 3582 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

(A) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi

(B) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi

(C) Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon

(D) Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon

(E) Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 55: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Originally posted by noboru on 30 Jun 2010, 11:28.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Sep 2018, 03:35, edited 8 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
QOTD: Plants are more efficient at acquiring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 11:11
You could drive yourself absolutely nuts on this one if you get tunnel-vision, and obsess over the comparison in the underlined portion, as discussed in last Wednesday's verbal chat (transcript is available here). But the action is mostly in the non-underlined portion in this sentence. Two things you should ideally notice:

• "Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide..." --> this is going to make a whole lot more sense if "in the form of carbon dioxide" is right next to "carbon", not "fungi."
  • Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars. --> looks like some parallelism needs to happen here, so we'll need to keep an eye on that, too

Quote:

"...fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide..." really doesn't work. Eliminate A.

Quote:

Same mistake as in (A). Plus, I'd argue that the underlined portion is a little bit confusing, even if we ignore the rest of the sentence: it seems like this could be saying that the plants acquire carbon more efficiently than plants acquire fungi. And that doesn't make sense, obviously. (For more on meaning issues in SC, check out our long-winded Topic of the Week.) Either way, eliminate (B).

Quote:

Looks good! Keep (C).

Quote:

This isn't a sentence at all, since the subject "plants" never actually performs an action. Eliminate (D).

Quote:

Arguably the same meaning issue as in (B). Plus, the parallelism doesn't work: something has to be parallel to "converting", since that's the word that follows "and" in the non-underlined portion... and we really don't have any options at all. Eliminate (E).

(D) is correct.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2010, 12:01
noboru wrote:
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

A. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi
B. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi
C. Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon
D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon
E. Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi

OA is C. However, it seems to compare "Plants" with "Fungi at acquiring carbon", which makes no sense. Trying to find I more logicall coparision, my take was A. After that I realized that "are" is plural which does not match with fungi, which is singular. And here is another question: If A were [...] than is fungi, that would be better?

What really makes this sentence clearer is the "in the form of carbon dioxide". This modifies carbon not fungi and hence should be placed as close as possible to its noun, carbon.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 06:11
noboru wrote:

OA is C. However, it seems to compare "Plants" with "Fungi at acquiring carbon", which makes no sense. Trying to find I more logicall coparision, my take was A. After that I realized that "are" is plural which does not match with fungi, which is singular. And here is another question: If A were [...] than is fungi, that would be better?

C simply makes the sentence easiest to read;
grouping plants and fungi in the beginning of the sentence allows "acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide".
No other option does the same.

pls kudos if you're satisfied with the reply

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:06
noboru wrote:

You need to look at the modifier following the underlined sentence, ... in refers to carbon and not fungi so the end of the main clause should be carbon.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2011, 06:49
Let us clarify a few things first. ‘fungi’ are also a kind of lower level plants. It is plural and its singular form is ‘fungus’.

The real comparison is between plants and fungi, two different nouns.

The prepositional modifier ‘in the form of carbon dioxide’ must be close to its noun modifier ‘carbon’ , probably it is best to posit them next to next.

IMO, When you say ‘plants are’, then ther is no need to say ‘than are fungi’, since the comparison is straight between two nouns, rather than between what they do. However when you say ‘plants acquire’, then you have to also say ‘fungi acquire’ or ‘fungi do’ or some such appropriate form since, the comparison moves on to a dynamic action done by the two arms of comparison

A. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi---- two errors, wrong word order of carbon and use of ‘are fungi’
B. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi – wrong word order of carbon
C. Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon- correct word order and comparison
D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon – this is not a sentence but a fragment
E. Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi --- two errors; one of wrong word order and not using the action word for fungi.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2013, 05:08
noboru wrote:

the more I study og question, the more I see that og question is great.

regarding oa c.

we do not need "fungi are" because there is ambiguity here. before "than" there is only one agent "plants" so, there is no ambiguity

if there are 2 agents before "than" , there is ambiguity and we have to add "do/dose" to avoid ambiguity. consider

plants like water more than fungi do.

there are 2 agents "plant" and "water" before "than" , so there is ambiguity. "do" clear the ambiguity.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 13:04

D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon --> lacks a VERB

A,B,E are at the first sight out MODIFIER -in the form of carbon dioxide- MUST modify CARBON and not Fungi. D lacks a VERB - OUT. We are left with choice C.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 07:55
The plants and fungi are two types of organisms that absorb Carbon from the atmpospheric carbon-di-oxide. The essential factor is that the modifier ‘in the form of CO2’ must be placed just next to the word carbon, in order to avoid the absurd meaning of fungi being absorbed in the form of CO2. So confidently dump, A, B and E.

Left with C and D: D is an outright fragment. C wins.

P.S: fungi is plural; fungus is the singular form of fungi

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 19:23
noboru wrote:

Check for the middle clause "in the form of carbon dioxide". This middle clause should modify carbon. Also check for the third clause "converting it to energy-rich sugars", this should refer to carbon. So carbon should end the first clause. Also if we eliminate the middle clause then sentence should make sense. Given these premises option C seems the best fit --> "Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon and converting it to energy-rich sugars."
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 06:27
daagh wrote:
Let us clarify a few things first. ‘fungi’ are also a kind of lower level plants. It is plural and its singular form is ‘fungus’.

The real comparison is between plants and fungi, two different nouns.

The prepositional modifier ‘in the form of carbon dioxide’ must be close to its noun modifier ‘carbon’ , probably it is best to posit them next to next.

IMO, When you say ‘plants are’, then ther is no need to say ‘than are fungi’, since the comparison is straight between two nouns, rather than between what they do. However when you say ‘plants acquire’, then you have to also say ‘fungi acquire’ or ‘fungi do’ or some such appropriate form since, the comparison moves on to a dynamic action done by the two arms of comparison

A. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi---- two errors, wrong word order of carbon and use of ‘are fungi’
B. Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi – wrong word order of carbon
C. Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon- correct word order and comparison
D. Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon – this is not a sentence but a fragment
E. Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi --- two errors; one of wrong word order and not using the action word for fungi.

Hi there, I just want you to know that your motto "Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher" is not actually a Japanese proverb. It is a Chinese proverb. Please feel free to check on it. In Chinese, it goes like "听君一席话,胜读十年书". Excuse me, but I just can't help telling you this.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 11:17
source: Manhattan GMAT SC Navigator Explanation.

Split 1. Modifier: "in the form of carbon dioxide" is a prepositional phrase. Prepositional phrases can modify nouns or the main clause of the preceding sentence. In this case, the prepositional phrase is saying "in the form of carbon dioxide". What can be "in the form of carbon dioxide"? Logically, the answer is carbon. ...Let's take a look at the previous sentence, it says "Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi," .... there are 3 items: Plants, Carbon and Fungi. Plants and Fungi are the same species or the same type of subject while carbon is not. Logically, using the lego pieces you have, to be clear you need to compare Plants with Fungi and have carbon close to the noun modifier (the prepositional phrase). Following this logic you can eliminate A, B and E.

Split 2. Structure - Sentence Fragment. "Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon," No verb exist for the subject Plants. "more efficient..." and "in the form..." are modifiers. A verb would have to come before ",and converting" D is out.

Split3. Comparison. "X than Y" In B and E the comparison is illogical, ambiguous at best. B and E are in the form of "Cats hate dogs more than mice", this could mean that "cats hate dogs more than cats hate mice" or "cats hate dogs more than mice do". B and E are out.

Split4. Parallelism. "and converting it" at the end of the sentence must be in parallel to the prior parts. E does not follow parallelism because it misses an "ing" such as A, B, C and D have: "acquiring...and converting it" E is out.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
QOTD: Plants are more efficient at acquiring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 21:11

Point to remember: ALWAYS read the complete sentence. Here the author has used "and". Thus we must always be looking for parallel structures. Since "converting" is in verb+ing form "acquiring" must also be in verb+ing form.

(A) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi -The 2 things which are being compared should be close to each other
(B) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi -This sentence means that plants acquire carbon more efficiently than they acquire fungi. The comparison/meaning is absurd.
(C) Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon -CORRECT
(D) Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon -The structure of the sentence is very awkward.
(E) Plants acquire carbon more efficiently than fungi -Out because of the aforesaid reasoning.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Plants are more efficient at acquiring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 12:39

The original sentence places the modifier 'in the form of carbon dioxide' next to the noun fungi. This does not make sense. Hence eliminate A, B and E

Between C and D, option D the modifier 'more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon' modifies plants and ignoring that makes the sentence awkward.

Answer is C

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: QOTD: Plants are more efficient at acquiring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 15:19
sasyaharry wrote:

The original sentence places the modifier 'in the form of carbon dioxide' next to the noun fungi. This does not make sense. Hence eliminate A, B and E

Between C and D, option D the modifier 'more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon' modifies plants and ignoring that makes the sentence awkward.

Answer is C

Hello sasyaharry,

You have presented a very to-the-point analysis. Great job. Keep it up. :-)

I just want to add that Choice D is plain incorrect because there is no verb for the subject Plant. Because of this missing verb, we cannot even call this structure a sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

P.S.: I simply adore your tagline. Very creative and amusing I must say. :-)

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 14:34
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question to determine the best way to tackle it! First, here is the original question, with the major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the question and available options, it's clear that this is a comparison sentence! Whenever we see items being compared, there are a few things we can focus on to help us find the right option:

1. Parallelism (both items need to be written using similar wording, verb tenses, structure, etc.)
2. Comparing like with like (both items need to be the same in kind...such as comparing apples to apples...not apples to apple trees)
3. Check for modifiers to indicate what order things should be in

If you look closely, there IS a modifier right after the underlined part of this sentence: "...in the form of carbon dioxide...." What is in the form of carbon dioxide? The fungi, or the carbon? The carbon! This means that the word "carbon" MUST come directly before the modifier "in the form of carbon dioxide" for it to make sense! Let's see how our options stack up:

We can eliminate options A, B, and E because they don't place the antecedent directly before/after the modifier!

Now that we're only left with 2 options, let's take a closer look at each. To make this easier, I've gone ahead and added the rest of the sentence to each option.

(C) Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

This is CORRECT! There is a clear subject and verb, and there is no question that the modifier phrase "in the form of carbon dioxide" is clearly referring to carbon!

(D) Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

While this sentence correctly places carbon before the modifier phrase, it's still INCORRECT because it's missing a verb! If you were to pair up the subject (Plants) with any of these clauses, NONE of them would create a complete sentence! That's a clear indication that there is no verb to connect the subject to all of these other phrases!

There you have it - option C is our answer! By knowing the common problems with comparison sentences, we can quickly spot problems and get to the right answer quickly!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the &nbs [#permalink] 22 Oct 2018, 14:34

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap