Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-04-2017
GPA: 3.6
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6276 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Please guide me in my strategy from 460 to 720+ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi aayushamj,

Since you scored a 460 on your most recent practice exam, you are most likely lacking the fundamental GMAT quant/verbal knowledge that you need to improve your score. Thus, before diving into practice questions, you may consider following a study routine that allows for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next.

For example, when studying verbal, focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. When learning about critical reasoning, for example, you want to be able to learn about all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

You also want to follow a similar routine for quant. For example, if you are learning about Number Properties you want to make sure you learn everything possible about that topic, e.g., LCM, GCF, prime factors, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure to practice a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have mastered that topic.

I also, see that you have mostly been using books for your GMAT prep. Have you considered using a self-study course? In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you’ll be able to forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT.

Lastly, feel free to read this TTP article that provides some actionable steps that you can follow to achieve your GMAT score goal.

Originally posted by JeffTargetTestPrep on 08 Sep 2016, 09:00.
Last edited by JeffTargetTestPrep on 03 Nov 2016, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Please guide me in my strategy from 460 to 720+ [#permalink]
My Breakup of last test was

IR 12 Percent
Quant 18 Percent
Verbal 30 Percent

BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi Aayush,

My two cents on how to improve your Quant score.

how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html

What is your Quant and Verbal breakup btw?

aayushamj wrote:
Hello,

My name is Ayush.
I gave a GMATPrep test a few days back and got 460.
I am aiming for 720+ score and given myself 5 months to prepare for the same.

My strategy is as follows.

1. I am doing the Verbal, IR and Maths review from the OG for the next 45 days with a target of completing them all.
2. Everyday I would be solving 10-15 problems of an alternate topic(While I am revising Verbal, I shall solve Maths and vice versa)
3. Next, I plan on building up my base through solving the Kaplan Premier in 1 months time.
4. In my third month I shall be only solving and reviewing problems of both OG and the Kaplan book and their online question bank.
5. I would be giving 2 tests, one at the end of completing Kaplan and one at the end of third month.

Then, If I get a score of 600+, I plan on joining online classes of Economist GMAT to boost up my score further.

For reading comprehension, I plan on reading 3-4 books in these 5 months by devoting 1-2 hour everyday to a book.
1. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
2. To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
3. Shogun - James Clavell
4. Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

Please advise on how I can further increase my chances of getting close to 720
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the advice man,

Which is the best book for getting Foundation Verbal good?

I have a choice between Kaplan and Manhattan.

I will join a course but I will do than in December-January once I have revised whole course on my own and can atleast get a 600 on GMAT on my own.

JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi aayushamj,

Since you scored a 460 on your most recent practice exam, you are most likely lacking the fundamental GMAT quant/verbal knowledge that you need to improve your score. Thus, before diving into practice questions, you may consider following a study routine that allows for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next.

For example, when studying verbal, focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. When learning about critical reasoning, for example, you want to be able to learn about all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

You also want to follow a similar routine for quant. For example, if you are learning about Number Properties you want to make sure you learn everything possible about that topic, e.g., LCM, GCF, prime factors, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure to practice a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have mastered that topic.

I also, see that you have mostly been using books for your GMAT prep. Have you considered using a self-study course? In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you’ll be able to forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT. If you would like to learn more about what online resources are available, check out the verified course reviews here or on Beat The GMAT. After doing some research you should be able to find a course that is a good fit for you.

Lastly, feel free to read this TTP article that provides some actionable steps that you can follow to achieve your GMAT score goal.
GMAT Club Bot