Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [152]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: How to Improve Quant Score? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi,

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this so I thought let's write a post on this!

The places where people generally screw up are
1. The concepts.
2. The timing
3. The one odd tough question which you get once you do 3-4 questions correct in a row
4. First 10 and Last 10 questions.(as they have more wieghtage then the remaining questions!)

How to improve:

1. When you solve a question and you have already taken 2mins and you don't see yourself going anywhere in that question in next 1min. Then guess and move on! (its not necessary to get all questions correct to get a 50 or 51!)

2. Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

3. Regarding the individual topics:
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps.

4. Why grockit?
Because they have a timer for each and every question so it will help you improve your speed.
They have tricky questions which is what GMAT asks you!

5. General Advice
GMAT Quant is not tough - its tricky
Keep an eye on that then i guess you can help yourself out a bit.
Also, i read it somewhere that when you are doing good in Quant then you get either a probability or a PnC question. So if you get a question like that then its a plus for you!

6. Go to gmatclub and follow the discussions of the topics in which you are weak. Try to do the 700 level questions and try to follow the discussion which they have. It will help you in knowing how to think about the problem.

48+

Also, I would like to share something which I experienced as i moved from a score of 45-48 to 50-51 (it might not be true in every case!)

as far as I think: the differences between a guy scoring a <48 and a guy scoring a 48-51 are
1. The way you look at the problem.
- a 48-51 guy looks at a problem as a issue whose solution he can find out.
- a <48 guy looks at a problem which is tough(by default) and he will give his best to get the solution somehow.

2. The exam pressure
- a 48-51 guy is confident in the exam as he has seen the score of 49-51 in mock tests.
- a <48 guy has consistently seen a 45-48 score in mock test with a one odd 49-51 score and he thinks of doing wonders in the exam and get a 49-51 score (which is tough to do! (not impossible though!))

3. The way you read the question
- a 48-51 guy reads the questions carefully nothing down(or keeping in mind) all the possible things given in the question (like given that x is a postivie integer) ( a 48-51 guy keeps in mind that x is an interger and also its positive)
- a 48-51 guy re-reads a question if he does not get the meaning of the question correctly( as there is no point in solving a half read question!)
- a <48 guy reads the question as fast as possible and sometimes misses the information mentioned in the question like x is a positive integer.

4. The way you deal with the pressure of the previous wrong question
- a 48-51 guy does not think/care about the previous question(even if it is wrong), as thinking about it will give him extra pressure and nothing else.
- a <48 guy thinks about getting the present question right as he has the pressure of previous wrong question in mind.

5. The time you spend on the present question
- a 48-51 guy spends 2mins on a question and makes an educated guess and moves on if he thinks that he can't solve the question in next 1min
- a <48 guy once stuck on the question spends like 4-5mins on that question and still gets it wrong and then screws up the remaining questions too.

6. The basics
- a 48-51 has strong basics and solves the easy questions confidently and within a min and moves on.
- a <48 guy is not that strong in basics and spends close to 2mins to cross check his answer if he has done it right or not.

Hope it helps!

hello sir..
thats great post.
your 45-48 applies to me with no exceptions..
i have got my exam in a month..
what do you think should i do??

the main problem i have is when i dont understand the problem i just consider it difficult and that puts pressure on me
really need good score in quant as verbal performance is not that impressive
got 610 in gmatprep q45 v28
going through egmat sc for verbal
hoping to get mid 30s in verbal
but quant definitely can be improved
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mohan514 wrote:

hello sir..
thats great post.
your 45-48 applies to me with no exceptions..
i have got my exam in a month..
what do you think should i do??

the main problem i have is when i dont understand the problem i just consider it difficult and that puts pressure on me
really need good score in quant as verbal performance is not that impressive
got 610 in gmatprep q45 v28
going through egmat sc for verbal
hoping to get mid 30s in verbal
but quant definitely can be improved

Hi,

Apologies for late reply as i msised the notification.

I will suggest you to clear this thing from your head is gmat is going to ask you tough questions.
Yes of course they will ask you tough questions(not that tough though) but their main focus is on testing your attentiveness in the exam and mostly they try to trick you here and there.

Focus on your weaker areas and try doing problems from a lot of sources. Personally i will suggest do problems from gmatclub (you can find the topic wise tag link in my signature)
For each topic in which you are weak:
1. do sub 600 level problems
2. if you are doing good then move to 600-700 level else go back and review the theory.
3. if you are doing good then move to 700 level problems
At each step do make sure that you read the explanation to get a better understanding of the solution and to to build ur knowledge base.

Again, this is a personal opinion and might not be true!

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
I scored 44Q 46V on my last practice test so definitely need this to improve my quant score! Thank you so much :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [4]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have recently given GMAT and scored Q39 and V30. I know my verbal is not strong but my quants is strong . In practice tests I scored from 47-50 in quants but not on actual exam. What should I do? I know my weak point is DS questions? How to master DS?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There are couple of things you can do to improve your weakness in DS
1. List down the topics you are not good with in Quant.
2. Work on the theory and PS problems on that topic.
3. Start with easy problems (500 level) on DS problems from the following link
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question-d ... 28728.html
and start reading explanation by experts on these topics.

Hope it helps!

sheekha wrote:
I have recently given GMAT and scored Q39 and V30. I know my verbal is not strong but my quants is strong . In practice tests I scored from 47-50 in quants but not on actual exam. What should I do? I know my weak point is DS questions? How to master DS?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sheekha wrote:

Your situation is very common among people preparing for the GMAT. The truth of the matter is that EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. Keep in mind that this question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

It just takes time for the concepts and strategies to become secondary, at which point you may come to find that DS questions are actually easier than Problem Solving questions.

I could start listing dozens of DS strategies and common mistakes (like confusing the answer to sufficiency question to the answer to the target question), but it's easier to just direct you to our free set of 16 videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation and that was a nice post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
BrushMyQuant wrote:
Hi,

I have seen a lot of posts regarding this so I thought let's write a post on this!

Check out My Youtube Channel for some Theory Videos!

The places where people generally screw up are
1. The concepts.
2. The timing
3. The one odd tough question which you get once you do 3-4 questions correct in a row
4. First 10 and Last 10 questions.(as they have more wieghtage then the remaining questions!)

How to improve:

1. When you solve a question and you have already taken 2 mins and you don't see yourself going anywhere in that question in next 1 min. Then guess and move on! (its not necessary to get all questions correct to get a 50 or 51!)

2. Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

3. Regarding the individual topics:
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to GmatClubPSand start practicing problems for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps. (Don't do the hard problems for now!)

Once you are done with PS of all the problems then follow the same strategy for DS. GmatClub DS

Once you are done with all the chapters then practice for ALL PS 500,600,700 Level PS questions
ALL Level PS Questions

4. Why GmatClub Problems?
Because they have a timer for each and every question so it will help you improve your speed.
They have questions from all possible sources on this earth for GMAT!

5. General Advice
GMAT Quant is not tough - its tricky
Keep an eye on that then i guess you can help yourself out a bit.
Also, i read it somewhere that when you are doing good in Quant then you get either a probability or a PnC question. So if you get a question like that then its a plus for you!

6. Go to gmatclub and follow the discussions of the topics in which you are weak. Try to do the 700 level questions and try to follow the discussion which they have. It will help you in knowing how to think about the problem.

48+

Also, I would like to share something which I experienced as i moved from a score of 45-48 to 50-51 (it might not be true in every case!)

as far as I think: the differences between a guy scoring a <48 and a guy scoring a 48-51 are
1. The way you look at the problem.
- a 48-51 guy looks at a problem as a issue whose solution he can find out.
- a <48 guy looks at a problem which is tough(by default) and he will give his best to get the solution somehow.

2. The exam pressure
- a 48-51 guy is confident in the exam as he has seen the score of 49-51 in mock tests.
- a <48 guy has consistently seen a 45-48 score in mock test with a one odd 49-51 score and he thinks of doing wonders in the exam and get a 49-51 score (which is tough to do! (not impossible though!))

3. The way you read the question
- a 48-51 guy reads the questions carefully nothing down(or keeping in mind) all the possible things given in the question (like given that x is a positive integer) ( a 48-51 guy keeps in mind that x is an integer and also its positive)
- a 48-51 guy re-reads a question if he does not get the meaning of the question correctly( as there is no point in solving a half read question!)
- a <48 guy reads the question as fast as possible and sometimes misses the information mentioned in the question like x is a positive integer.

4. The way you deal with the pressure of the previous wrong question
- a 48-51 guy does not think/care about the previous question(even if it is wrong), as thinking about it will give him extra pressure and nothing else.
- a <48 guy thinks about getting the present question right as he has the pressure of previous wrong question in mind.

5. The time you spend on the present question
- a 48-51 guy spends 2 mins on a question and makes an educated guess and moves on if he thinks that he can't solve the question in next 1 min
- a <48 guy once stuck on the question spends like 4-5 mins on that question and still gets it wrong and then screws up the remaining questions too.

6. The basics
- a 48-51 has strong basics and solves the easy questions confidently and within a min and moves on.
- a <48 guy is not that strong in basics and spends close to 2 mins to cross check his answer if he has done it right or not.

Worried about your Quant preparations?

Check out my site BrushMyQuant, PM me on GmatClub or drop me an email at brushmyquant@gmail.com and we will start the journey of improvement!

Wishing you Best for your Preparations!

Hello I think at this part it says

"a 48-51 guy reads the questions carefully nothing down(or keeping in mind)" Should not it be noting?

Muammer
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thank you Muammer for reading the post in detail and sharing.

Updated the post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
This is golden. Thank you so much!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts