Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [140]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619067 [27]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [14]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [3]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
An (x, y) coordinate pair is to be chosen at random from the [#permalink]
Kudos
What I did -->

We know that we have to choose a point such that Y is positive--> so while choosing any number from the number line..the probability of selecting a number >0 or <0 should be equal..So Prob of choosing a positive Y is 1/2.
Say a coordinate x is chosen...Now,The probability of choosing any number that is <x or >x is again equal..so the Probability is again 1/2 for each case.

Now for P(y) such that both the conditions are met will be 1/2*1/2= 1/4.

Can any expert vouch for this way of solving such a question??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
JusTLucK04 wrote:
What I did -->

We know that we have to choose a point such that Y is positive--> so while choosing any number from the number line..the probability of selecting a number >0 or <0 should be equal..So Prob of choosing a positive Y is 1/2.
Say a coordinate x is chosen...Now,The probability of choosing any number that is <x or >x is again equal..so the Probability is again 1/2 for each case.

this is simply wrong as you are reading P(y>=|x|) as P(y>|x| AND y=|x|) this should be 0.
question is asking P(y>=|x|) which is P(y>|x| ) OR P(y=|x|) -> P(y>|x| ) + P(y=|x|)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
JusTLucK04 wrote:
What I did -->

Had there been constraints, such as \(y\geq{|\frac{1}{2}x|}\), or say \(y\geq{x^{2}}\), the range would vary enough to where \(\frac{1}{2} * \frac{1}{2}\) estimation would be inaccurate, and therefore the solution above would not have worked. You might have adjusted for it, but since the question is out there, I took a swipe. Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: An (x, y) coordinate pair is to be chosen at random from the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
this is how i did it -

without any restrictions, you had 2 choices of y (+/-) and 2 for x. a total of 4 choices. now you just have 1 for y. if you take quadrant I, half the values of y will be > x and half of the values of x>y's. so prob of y=>x = 1/2. but x can be -ve as well as we're comparing absolute values. so the prob of y=>lxl is 1/2*1/2 = 1/4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
PrashantPonde wrote:
Attachment:
XY Plane probability.jpg

Just plot the y>|x| on your paper and you will see it takes 1/4 of the space i.e. Probability = 1/4

Hence choice(E) is the answer.

Another way of reaching the same conclusion is as follows:

The area within the function y=lxl subtends an angle 90 deg with the coordinate system. Since the lines y=x and y=-x have slopes +45 and -45 respectively.

The total angle of any coordinate system is 360 deg. Therefore, the probability that the point lies within the 90 deg region is 90/360 = 1/4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
X,Y random
Plug In values with different signs both -3 and -6
1, 4 > 3
2, 2 > 3
3, -5 > 3
4, -5 > 6
Only case 1 is right
1/4 probability
Is this a right approach however i solved in 2:40sec
E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
An (x, y) coordinate pair is to be chosen at random from the xy-plane. What is the probability that \(y\geq|x|\)?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/6
(D) 1/5
(E) 1/4

Here's how I bumped on the answer - very quickly, but I am not 100% sure if logic I used was correct. Someone could proof please?
The |x| is always positive.

The y is positive in two quadrants - so \(P[y\geq0]=\frac{1}{2}\).

(I am deliberately ignoring here y=0, because theoretically the axes lie inbetween the quadrants, so 0 isn't part of any quadrant equally.)

So, when \(P[y\geq0=\frac{1}{2}]\), we need to figure out \(P[y>x]\).

Since there is infinite number of possibilities for positive values of x and y, I concluded that there's a 50% chance of picking (x, y) at random, such that \(y>x\).

(Here's another apparent leave-out: the possibility that \(x=y\). However, this is only one possibility among infinity, so as for me it's acceptable. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

This way we've got \(P[y\geq0]=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(P[y>x]=\frac{1}{2}\).

Therefore \(P[y\geq|x|]=(\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{1}{4}\).

The answer is E.

The answer is correct and I hope it's not pure luck :).

Below is given graph of y=|x|:
Attachment:
Graph.png
All points which satisfy \(y\geq|x|\) condition lie above that graph. You can see that portion of the plane which is above the graph is 1/4.

Answer: E.

Hello Bunuel,

I couldn't able to understand how to reached to 1/4 from the graph. Can you please elaborate more from the graph on how you derived at 1/4 probability?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619067 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
subhasisray85 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
An (x, y) coordinate pair is to be chosen at random from the xy-plane. What is the probability that \(y\geq|x|\)?

(A) 1/10
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/6
(D) 1/5
(E) 1/4

Here's how I bumped on the answer - very quickly, but I am not 100% sure if logic I used was correct. Someone could proof please?
The |x| is always positive.

The y is positive in two quadrants - so \(P[y\geq0]=\frac{1}{2}\).

(I am deliberately ignoring here y=0, because theoretically the axes lie inbetween the quadrants, so 0 isn't part of any quadrant equally.)

So, when \(P[y\geq0=\frac{1}{2}]\), we need to figure out \(P[y>x]\).

Since there is infinite number of possibilities for positive values of x and y, I concluded that there's a 50% chance of picking (x, y) at random, such that \(y>x\).

(Here's another apparent leave-out: the possibility that \(x=y\). However, this is only one possibility among infinity, so as for me it's acceptable. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

This way we've got \(P[y\geq0]=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(P[y>x]=\frac{1}{2}\).

Therefore \(P[y\geq|x|]=(\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{1}{4}\).

The answer is E.

The answer is correct and I hope it's not pure luck :).

Below is given graph of y=|x|:
Attachment:
The attachment Graph.png is no longer available
All points which satisfy \(y\geq|x|\) condition lie above that graph. You can see that portion of the plane which is above the graph is 1/4.

Answer: E.

Hello Bunuel,

I couldn't able to understand how to reached to 1/4 from the graph. Can you please elaborate more from the graph on how you derived at 1/4 probability?

The whole plane is 360° and the portion of the plane which is above the graph is 90°, which is 1/4 of 360°.
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 13.3 KiB | Viewed 16044 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
achalbhatt wrote:
this is how i did it -

without any restrictions, you had 2 choices of y (+/-) and 2 for x. a total of 4 choices. now you just have 1 for y. if you take quadrant I, half the values of y will be > x and half of the values of x>y's. so prob of y=>x = 1/2. but x can be -ve as well as we're comparing absolute values. so the prob of y=>lxl is 1/2*1/2 = 1/4

<you had 2 choices of y (+/-) and 2 for x>....what about the point 0 ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Bunuel - Would the answer change if we did not have the equal to sign i.e. y>|x|? If no, then why because some points would get added?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619067 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Bunuel - Would the answer change if we did not have the equal to sign i.e. y>|x|? If no, then why because some points would get added?

The answer will still be exactly 1/4, no matter whether the question says \(y\geq|x|\) or \(y>|x|\). That's because a line is one-dimensional: a line segment can only have length but no area (the same way a point has no dimensions, only position). So, since the region where \(y=|x|\) is just line segments (check red graph in my solution), then its area is zero.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
avigutman how to solve traditionally if we do not know graphs as i generally have not learnt specifically tricks to plot graphs especially for mods and number substitution is not handy at most times
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman how to solve traditionally if we do not know graphs as i generally have not learnt specifically tricks to plot graphs especially for mods and number substitution is not handy at most times

I don't think there's any need for graphs here, Elite097, or even pen and paper in general.
Here's how I reason through this question: as a first step, I ask myself what's the probability that y is greater than x. Since they're both chosen at random, that's going to be exactly half (there's an equal chance for each of them to be greater than the other).
with no integer constraint, "greater than" is the same thing as "greater or equal"
Next, I address the fact that x is in absolute value in the question stem. What impact does that have? It cuts in half the possible values of x. What does this mean for the previous step in my reasoning? All those cases in which y was greater than x... half of those cases no longer exist (those cases in which x had negative values).
Therefore, the answer is half of half, or 1/4.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts