Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [38]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: from 570 to 720 my incredible journey [#permalink]
gautam17 wrote:
ABOUT MYSELF- 31 yrs old ,male, Indian, doctor in the army, alumnus of Armed Forces Medical College, India.
I beat the GMAT in my second attempt on 31 may 13 with 720 Q48 V41 94 %tile, was beaten blue and black by GMAT on 31 January 13 and scored 570 Q39 V30 but didn't bother to remember the percentile. I Was hoping for some divine intervention and it came on 27 Feb when I was blessed with a baby girl. The world that I knew changed overnight, those who have a young kid at home will understand. I did some introspection, pulled up my socks, booked a date for GMAT and started studying in earnest. I bought verbal live add on from e-GMAT and quant portion of Gmatprepnow, both incredible resources, especially for working professional. I could only study for 45 to 60 mins a day, so I prepared my own strategy based on e-GMAT strategy sessions and followed it .Finished verbal first and then concentrated on quant.
My RESOURCES
VERBAL-1 ) e-GMAT online and verbal add-on.
2) Official guide 12,13 ,verbal guide 2 and Question pack 1(by far the best official question bank)
3) Grockit (got it free with e-GMAT)
QUANT- 1)OG 12,13 and Question pack 1
2) MGMAT strategy guides
3) GMATPREPNOW (pretty good video lessons and solved examples)
4) GMAT CLUB TESTS(free with e-GMAT, best source to develop intuition about common GMAT traps)

WHAT I DID THIS TIME
1) Understanding the GMAT- you require a different kind of mind set to conquer the GMAT so know the rules of the game. An article by STACY KOPRINCE of MGMAT titled "IN IT TO WIN IT" did the trick for me.
2)TIMING-IF you want to know why your timing sucks search articles by CHRIS BERMAN of MGMAT .I found only three articles written by him, all three are gems.
3) WHAT I DID ABOUT MY TIMING
a) Read the article regarding timing by STACEY
b) Joined the strategy 2 session of e-GMAT and understood the concept of TAKT TIME and started implementing them in my mocks.
c) A good video regarding timing is available on MGMAT website in THURSDAYS WITH RON, prepared a list of strengths and weaknesses and decided my game plan in case i was behind my timing strategy.
d) Went through a similar video in GMATPREPNOW.
4) HITTING THE WALL AND GOING BEYOND IT-I was stuck in 650 to 670 range, here is what I did to reach 700.
a)SENTENCE CORRECTION- practiced the e-GMAT sentence correction method diligently, the method is not a secret and its accurate but takes a lot of time to master so I combined this method with the sentence correction method taught by RON of MGMAT and it worked wonders for me.
b) CRITICAL REASONONG-practised PRETHINKING and NEGATION TEST as taught by RAJAT of e-GMAT and the right answers suddenly started jumping out of the options.
C ) READING COMPREHENSION-follwed the e-gmat process took time to understand the passage and map tha passage rest was easy.
d)QUANT- Went through all the videos of GMATPREPNOW,Brent has done a really incredible job. MY accuracy in coordinate geometry improved from 20% to 90%, became more confident in other areas such as probability, combinatorics, word problems.
e) my biggest improvement in quant came from adopting strategies such as backsolving, substitution, use of smart numbers and from a strategy discussed by STACEY in her article "ROLE OF CONFUSION IN GMAT PREPARATION" followed it like a religion ,stayed a long time with a questions, didn't look at the answers till i had come up with my own answers.Again a slow but powerful method.
5)EMOTIONAL INTENSITY-I knew that to get the most out of my limited study time I had to be in a peak state of mind so I experimented with many emotions like curiosity ,confidence, agrression, excitement. Curiosity worked for me during preparation and confidence helped me conquer GMAT.
6) PRACTICED CONFIDENCE- How did I do that? Solved questions topic wise, easy questions first, smashed them out of the park carried the confidence to medium and hard level questions and smashed them. IF I had to study a topic that I didn't like , I first studied a topic that I enjoyed and carried the enthusiasm to the topic i didn't like. I also practiced confidence in random guessing during my mock tests (bottomline don't worry about those ten questions you are getting wrong anyways, guess and move on confidently).

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE IN LOVE AND LUCK....Had tremendous support from my wife during the preparation and since my daughter was born I was really happy, nothing in the world could change it. Though I was spending sleepless nights and was studying for a little while I was very very happy (kids do that to you I guess). And in India we also believe the daughters bring a lot of luck so I was pretty well covered there.

NOT including my mock scores of MGMAT and gmatprep as I gave them multiple times and scores are highly inflated.
FINALLY, HUGE THANKS TO ALL THE TEACHERS- SHRADDHA,PAYAL,STACEY, RAJAT,RON ,BRENT,CHRIS BERMAN AND ALL THE COMMUNITY MEMBERS WHOSE SUCCESS STORIES HAVE INSPIRED ME.

That's very inspirational. Wish you all the best for your application process.:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Awesome score and great write up! Now the 'fun' part begins!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Great score and amazing debrief! Wondering what takt time is...I have never heard of this term :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
thanks prsht,Takt time is a term used by egmat,its a german word,simply put its just the amount of time you usually need to solve a particular type of question accurately for eg. I used to solve a word problem question in 3mins that was my takt time for word problem,so if was pressed for time during exam and faced a word problem I had to decide whether to leave it or solve it,since my accuracy was good in wordproblem I usually took my time and solved it,but immediately guessed on the next question .My takt time for quant was 2mins30secs so I knew that to finish the exam on time I would have to guess on many questions and thats exactly what I did.I had made a list of my strengths and weaknesses ,and when I was running behind the clock I immediately guessed on the questions which were not my strength.Hope I m making some sense,egmat guys explain it much better in their strategy session 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.38
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Firstly, Congrats for the score and atb for application process.
i was in mood of inspiration after reading your post. I thought some extra info from you will help for my prep.
i was clear that your preparation mostly went with e-gmat. Can you provide brief on this.
like, cost to access these videos. any time schedules etc..
especially on SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
thanks tarak,egmat played a crucial role in improving my verbal score.They are a small and dedicated lot.Things I liked about egmat
1)well structured course
2)easy to understand the rules of sc
3)audio visual format a great time saver for working professionals
4)lively and detailed discussions during live prep sessions(if the timing doesn't suit you ,you can always watch the recording in your own sweet time)
you can check out the pricing from their website.A third of their course material is available for free.Do go through them,it will help you come to a decision.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
@gautam17 that is a great story! Congratulations to you and great success with the MBA Applications. You have many blessings in life! Thank you for sharing so inspirational.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Gautam thanks for responding to my PM. Never got a chance to thank you. I hope you have secured admits from some schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
we have a lot of similarity...my first attempt was 570 too and my bday on 27th feb :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q25 V28
Send PM
Congratulations Gautam on this great achievement ! Well done..I hope you got accepted in your dream school already - by the time you are receiving this email :)

I like your debrief- it is much from heart...Please tell me to what extent did you find the MAGMAT strategy guides useful for studying the Quant Basics ? Am not too good with mathematics ( I scored Q27 on Quant on my first gmat attempt)...Is it enough to focus on the MAGMAT Math Strategy guides for getting the basics...i appreciate your inputs please...Thanksss :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Hi Gautam. Congratulation from your score. I am planning to joining some course for quant. Can you tell me how is Gmatprenow course? What inspired you to join gmatprenow?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Inspiring
I am also a doc, 33 yr old
struggling for past 2-3months with getting back to my basic maths.
your achievement is inspiring
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
gautam17 wrote:
ABOUT MYSELF- 31 yrs old ,male, Indian, doctor in the army, alumnus of Armed Forces Medical College, India.
I beat the GMAT in my second attempt on 31 may 13 with 720 Q48 V41 94 %tile, was beaten blue and black by GMAT on 31 January 13 and scored 570 Q39 V30 but didn't bother to remember the percentile. I Was hoping for some divine intervention and it came on 27 Feb when I was blessed with a baby girl. The world that I knew changed overnight, those who have a young kid at home will understand. I did some introspection, pulled up my socks, booked a date for GMAT and started studying in earnest. I bought verbal live add on from e-GMAT and quant portion of Gmatprepnow, both incredible resources, especially for working professional. I could only study for 45 to 60 mins a day, so I prepared my own strategy based on e-GMAT strategy sessions and followed it .Finished verbal first and then concentrated on quant.
My RESOURCES
VERBAL-1 ) e-GMAT online and verbal add-on.
2) Official guide 12,13 ,verbal guide 2 and Question pack 1(by far the best official question bank)
3) Grockit (got it free with e-GMAT)
QUANT- 1)OG 12,13 and Question pack 1
2) MGMAT strategy guides
3) GMATPREPNOW (pretty good video lessons and solved examples)
4) GMAT CLUB TESTS(free with e-GMAT, best source to develop intuition about common GMAT traps)

WHAT I DID THIS TIME
1) Understanding the GMAT- you require a different kind of mind set to conquer the GMAT so know the rules of the game. An article by STACY KOPRINCE of MGMAT titled "IN IT TO WIN IT" did the trick for me.
2)TIMING-IF you want to know why your timing sucks search articles by CHRIS BERMAN of MGMAT .I found only three articles written by him, all three are gems.
3) WHAT I DID ABOUT MY TIMING
a) Read the article regarding timing by STACEY
b) Joined the strategy 2 session of e-GMAT and understood the concept of TAKT TIME and started implementing them in my mocks.
c) A good video regarding timing is available on MGMAT website in THURSDAYS WITH RON, prepared a list of strengths and weaknesses and decided my game plan in case i was behind my timing strategy.
d) Went through a similar video in GMATPREPNOW.
4) HITTING THE WALL AND GOING BEYOND IT-I was stuck in 650 to 670 range, here is what I did to reach 700.
a)SENTENCE CORRECTION- practiced the e-GMAT sentence correction method diligently, the method is not a secret and its accurate but takes a lot of time to master so I combined this method with the sentence correction method taught by RON of MGMAT and it worked wonders for me.
b) CRITICAL REASONONG-practised PRETHINKING and NEGATION TEST as taught by RAJAT of e-GMAT and the right answers suddenly started jumping out of the options.
C ) READING COMPREHENSION-follwed the e-gmat process took time to understand the passage and map tha passage rest was easy.
d)QUANT- Went through all the videos of GMATPREPNOW,Brent has done a really incredible job. MY accuracy in coordinate geometry improved from 20% to 90%, became more confident in other areas such as probability, combinatorics, word problems.
e) my biggest improvement in quant came from adopting strategies such as backsolving, substitution, use of smart numbers and from a strategy discussed by STACEY in her article "ROLE OF CONFUSION IN GMAT PREPARATION" followed it like a religion ,stayed a long time with a questions, didn't look at the answers till i had come up with my own answers.Again a slow but powerful method.
5)EMOTIONAL INTENSITY-I knew that to get the most out of my limited study time I had to be in a peak state of mind so I experimented with many emotions like curiosity ,confidence, agrression, excitement. Curiosity worked for me during preparation and confidence helped me conquer GMAT.
6) PRACTICED CONFIDENCE- How did I do that? Solved questions topic wise, easy questions first, smashed them out of the park carried the confidence to medium and hard level questions and smashed them. IF I had to study a topic that I didn't like , I first studied a topic that I enjoyed and carried the enthusiasm to the topic i didn't like. I also practiced confidence in random guessing during my mock tests (bottomline don't worry about those ten questions you are getting wrong anyways, guess and move on confidently).

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE IN LOVE AND LUCK....Had tremendous support from my wife during the preparation and since my daughter was born I was really happy, nothing in the world could change it. Though I was spending sleepless nights and was studying for a little while I was very very happy (kids do that to you I guess). And in India we also believe the daughters bring a lot of luck so I was pretty well covered there.

NOT including my mock scores of MGMAT and gmatprep as I gave them multiple times and scores are highly inflated.
FINALLY, HUGE THANKS TO ALL THE TEACHERS- SHRADDHA,PAYAL,STACEY, RAJAT,RON ,BRENT,CHRIS BERMAN AND ALL THE COMMUNITY MEMBERS WHOSE SUCCESS STORIES HAVE INSPIRED ME.

Congrates Gautam
I also took egamt...My problem is when I do questions in quiz after each section, I get great accuracy but when I do mock, its not the same. Can you pls advice me on this? And also can you pls post all articles, which you mentioned in your brief, here???

Thanks
Komal
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts