Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [106]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 02-16-2012
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [28]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [5]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the concert [#permalink]
Kudos
The correct answer is C here.

Reason:

Consider tense and tone of given sentence. It tells that by the time tickets go on sale, girls will have been already spent entire night in the queue.

a) have been waiting in the concert line all night >> no will, wrong tense
b) will have been waiting in the concert line each night >> each night, wrong
c) will have been waiting in the concert line the entire night >> correct
d) had been waiting in the concert line all night >> had?, wrong tense
e) has been waiting in the concert line the whole night >> wrong tense
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the concert [#permalink]
Kudos
just compare the sentences ...

group of girls has done a thing..

group of girls have done a thing..

if you are still not able to recognise the difference

the singular plural thing just go through the basics..

i made it just by going through the sentence,,,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
mohan514 wrote:

if you are still not able to recognise the difference

the singular plural thing just go through the basics..

I don't think that marus had doubt about singular-plural form of verb.

Read the original question again

Quote:
Dear visitors, please tell me why the answer choose E cannot be used here. Many thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
amitgup77 wrote:
18. The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the concert line all night by the time the tickets go on sale.

a) have been waiting in the concert line all night
b) will have been waiting in the concert line each night
c) will have been waiting in the concert line the entire night
d) had been waiting in the concert line all night
e) has been waiting in the concert line the whole night

The tense of the verb is in question. Its future perfect continuous. The structure will be 'will have been waiting'.

Hence, the answer choice [C] is accurate. [B] has the same verb structure but changes meaning.

Regards,
A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
arpanpatnaik wrote:
amitgup77 wrote:
18. The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the concert line all night by the time the tickets go on sale.

The tense of the verb is in question. Its future perfect continuous. The structure will be 'will have been waiting'.

Hence, the answer choice [C] is accurate. [B] has the same verb structure but changes meaning.

Regards,
A

Thanks !
But the "Group of Girls" does not mean a singular verb ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
amitgup77 wrote:
arpanpatnaik wrote:
amitgup77 wrote:

Regards,
A

Thanks !
But the "Group of Girls" does not mean a singular verb ?

Well the term 'Group of *anything*' always employs singular. Lemme explain why. When we said 'The fanatical, young group of girls', it refers to a group of collectives which share a single property and needs to be considered as singular. The group of people, The group of dogs... all of them employ singular terms.

Please refer to the 'Collective Nouns' section under GMAT Grammer Book!
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-grammar-ebook-by-gmat-club-free-this-book-will-be-102387.html

Lemme know if you need more help :)

Regards,
A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amitgup77 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

E is incorrect because it doesn't fit in the sentence.

The group has been waiting in the concert line the whole night by the time the tickets go on sale.

'by the time the tickets go on sale' implies a point in time, say the tickets will go on sale at 8:00 am. The group has been waiting the entire night by 8:00 am does not make sense.

The question is based on tenses: Present perfect continuous 'has been waiting' refers to a period. He has been waiting for 2 hrs.
Future perfect continuous 'will have been waiting' refers to a period and then a point in time. He will have been waiting for 2 hrs by the time his turn comes. At the point when his turn comes, he will have been waiting for 2 hrs. Since this question involves a period of time and a point 'by the time tickets go on sale', it needs future perfect continuous.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 19 Jul 2013, 21:54.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 19 Jul 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
amitgup77 wrote:

Can some one please explain it , I could not understand it at all .

I chose E because it looked present continuous to me and as group is singular I chose E how come "Will have been" is correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhinav11 wrote:
amitgup77 wrote:

Can some one please explain it , I could not understand it at all .

I chose E because it looked present continuous to me and as group is singular I chose E how come "Will have been" is correct?

Refer to the use of 'present perfect continuous' and 'future perfect continuous' tenses above. Also, refer to a grammar book for complete description of various tenses. It's important for GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
Send PM
I would go with option C.

The future perfect continuous has to be used in this sentence to convey the correct meaning.
Although B uses the correct tense , it alters the meaning of the sentence.
the young group of girls will not be waiting every night but just for one night to get the tickets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Picked E.
Eliminated ABC based on SVA. Eliminated D, because there was not another past tense verb in the sentence to merit the use of past perfect. E didn't really make sense, so I was not surprised to have missed it. According to the following grammar site, singular nouns can use the future perfect construction "will have", so BC can't be eliminated based on SVA
https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futureperfect.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The correct answer is actually C here. Not sure why you eliminated C on the basis of SVA. This sentence uses "will have been waiting", which I think is future perfect continuous. Oh boy..I thought these kind of tenses are not tested on GMAT. Can some expert help.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [1]
Send PM