Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [172]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [63]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [27]
Given Kudos: 110
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digi [#permalink]
Kudos
How do we do all that in less than 2 mins, is my only question :)

Posted from my mobile device
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [8]
Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saintforlife wrote:

Dear Saint For Life,
Problems such as this are quite out-of-the-box. To some extent, the GMAT intends us to handle many of the other questions in 90 secs or less, so that we have a bit of a time-cushion when we run into one of these oddball questions.

Having said that, the more familiar you are with number properties, the faster it will go. In this problem, it took me quite some time to write out everything in verbal form, but I saw things relatively quickly. As you practice seeing patterns, you will see them more quickly, even if they are hard to explain to someone else. You may find this post helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/

Mike :-)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saintforlife wrote:
ABC
+BCB
CDD

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digits of three 3-digit numbers. What is the largest possible value of the product of A and B ?

A. 8
B. 10
C. 12
D. 14
E. 18

Similar questions to practice:
in-the-correctly-worked-addition-problem-above-a-b-c-d-128953.html
tough-tricky-set-of-problems-85211.html#p638336
in-the-correctly-worked-addition-problem-shown-where-the-54154.html

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 540 Q34 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Kudos
... got E as an answer. However, it took me 6 minutes, since I plugged in the answer options.
Is there any faster way, or am I just too slow in back-solving?

TirthankarP wrote:

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digits of three 3-digit numbers. What is the largest possible value of the product of A and B ?
A) 8
B) 10
C) 12
D) 14
E) 18

My explanation:

According to the question stem C+B=D and D<10, since the second addition (2nd column) is C+B=D again (if there were a carry, the second column's result would not be D again), and A+B=C
Now I break up the answer options:
A) A*B=8, so A and B -> 2 and 4 or 1 and 8. A+B=2+4=6=C, C+B=6+2=8=D, which is smaller than 10, thus the answer is not "out", but there could be a larger possible value of A*B
B) A*B=10, so A and B -> 2 and 5. A+B=2+5=7=C, C+B=7+2=9=D, which is smaller than 10, thus the is also possible. Let's look for the next options.
For C-E:
C) A*B=12, so A and B -> 6 and or 4 and 3.
D) A*B=14, so A and -> 7 and 2.
E) A*B=18, so A and B -> 9 and 2 or 3 and 6.
Do the same process with those numbers and you will find that all will yield a sum of C+B>10, thus the constraint of D<10 is not satisfied. The answer options are not possible.
Because 10>8 answer option B) is the largest possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Chiranjeevee wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:
Attachment:
Addition.png

A) 8
B) 10
C) 12
D) 14
E) 18

This topic has already been discussed. Please search before posting.
Here is the link:

in-the-addition-shown-above-a-b-c-and-d-represent-161656.html

I do a thorough search before posting any new question. But this time I couldn't find this link :)
Thanks for sharing the link :!:
Forum moderator may delete this thread
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
HKHR wrote:
saintforlife wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

This problem can be solved much faster if you start with the options. As Mike has wonderfully explained, none of the digits will have a carry over.

Option E is \(18 = 9 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Now\(9+2>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option D is \(14 = 7 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Since \(C=A+B\), therefore \(C= 9\). Since \(C=9\) and \(B\) is a non zero digit, \(C+B>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option C is 12. This will have 2 cases-
\(Case 1--> 12 = 4 * 3\)

Here \(C= 4+3=7\). Now \(7+4>=10\) and [\(7+3>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

(OR) \(Case 2--> 6 * 2\).

Here \(C= 6+2=8\). Now \(8+2>=10\) and \(8+6>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option B is \(10 = 5 * 2\). If you follow the same set of steps you'll notice that there will not be any carry over digit for the case \(C=7, A=5, B=2\). So right answer!

Hope it was helpful.

Wonderful explanation. Just thought to add some more from my side. As we see only B satisfies all the necessary requirement(not to carry over any digits).

In option A, taking A=4 and B=2 also satisfies the condition as it is something like
+262
-------

But since we need maximum value well go for option B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Dear Mike, I was wondering why are we maximising D since it no where mentioned to do so. We have to maximise A*B right so if we choose C=1 and B=5 and A=4 i think we staisfy all conditions and our product of A*B (5*4) comes to be 20. Dont know where i am going wrong. Kindly help
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [2]
Kudos