It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 155 [4], given: 40

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:42) correct 54% (01:37) wrong based on 509 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

ABC
+BCB
CDD

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digits of three 3-digit numbers. What is the largest possible value of the product of A and B ?

A. 8
B. 10
C. 12
D. 14
E. 18
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 155 [4], given: 40

Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8490 [13], given: 102

Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saintforlife wrote:
ABC
+BCB
CDD

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the nonzero digits of three 3-digit numbers. What is the largest possible value of the product of A and B ?

A. 8
B. 10
C. 12
D. 14
E. 18

I'm happy to help with this. :-)
First, look at the one's column. C + B produces a one's unit of D, and we don't know whether anything carries to the ten's place.
But now, look at the ten's place --- B + C again produces a digit of D --- that tells us definitively that nothing carried, and that B + C = D. B & C have a single digit number as a sum.
Now, C = A + B, because again, in the hundreds column, nothing carries here.

Notice that, since C = A + B and D = B + C, B must be smaller than both B and C. We want to make the product of A & B large, so we want to make those individual digits large. Well, if we make B large, then that makes C large, and then B + C would quickly become more than a one-digit sum, which is not allowed. Think about it this way. Let's just assume D = 9, the maximum value.
D = 9 = B + C = B + (A + B) = A + 2B
We want to pick A & B such that A + 2B = 9 and A*B is a maximum. It makes sense that B would be smaller.
Try A = 7, B = 1. Then A + 2B = 9 and A*B = 7
Try A = 5, B = 2. Then A + 2B = 9 and A*B = 10
Try A = 3, B = 3. Then A + 2B = 9 and A*B = 9
Try A = 1, B = 4. Then A + 2B = 9 and A*B = 4
Indeed, as B gets bigger, the product gets less. This seems to imply that the biggest possible product is 10. This corresponds to A = 5, B = 2, C = 7, and D = 9, and the original addition problem becomes
+272
Thus, the maximum product is 10, and answer = (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8490 [13], given: 102

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 155 [1], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 16:44
This post received
KUDOS
How do we do all that in less than 2 mins, is my only question :)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 155 [1], given: 40

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8490 [6], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
saintforlife wrote:

Dear Saint For Life,
Problems such as this are quite out-of-the-box. To some extent, the GMAT intends us to handle many of the other questions in 90 secs or less, so that we have a bit of a time-cushion when we run into one of these oddball questions.

Having said that, the more familiar you are with number properties, the faster it will go. In this problem, it took me quite some time to write out everything in verbal form, but I saw things relatively quickly. As you practice seeing patterns, you will see them more quickly, even if they are hard to explain to someone else. You may find this post helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8490 [6], given: 102

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129564 [4], given: 12202

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saintforlife wrote:
ABC
+BCB
CDD

A. 8
B. 10
C. 12
D. 14
E. 18

Similar questions to practice:
in-the-correctly-worked-addition-problem-above-a-b-c-d-128953.html
tough-tricky-set-of-problems-85211.html#p638336
in-the-correctly-worked-addition-problem-shown-where-the-54154.html

Hope it helps

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 129564 [4], given: 12202

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 64 [1], given: 8

GMAT 1: 540 Q34 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2013, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
... got E as an answer. However, it took me 6 minutes, since I plugged in the answer options.
Is there any faster way, or am I just too slow in back-solving?

TirthankarP wrote:

A) 8
B) 10
C) 12
D) 14
E) 18

My explanation:

According to the question stem C+B=D and D<10, since the second addition (2nd column) is C+B=D again (if there were a carry, the second column's result would not be D again), and A+B=C
Now I break up the answer options:
A) A*B=8, so A and B -> 2 and 4 or 1 and 8. A+B=2+4=6=C, C+B=6+2=8=D, which is smaller than 10, thus the answer is not "out", but there could be a larger possible value of A*B
B) A*B=10, so A and B -> 2 and 5. A+B=2+5=7=C, C+B=7+2=9=D, which is smaller than 10, thus the is also possible. Let's look for the next options.
For C-E:
C) A*B=12, so A and B -> 6 and or 4 and 3.
D) A*B=14, so A and -> 7 and 2.
E) A*B=18, so A and B -> 9 and 2 or 3 and 6.
Do the same process with those numbers and you will find that all will yield a sum of C+B>10, thus the constraint of D<10 is not satisfied. The answer options are not possible.
Because 10>8 answer option B) is the largest possible.

Kudos [?]: 64 [1], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 53

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 01:04
Chiranjeevee wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:
Attachment:
Addition.png

A) 8
B) 10
C) 12
D) 14
E) 18

This topic has already been discussed. Please search before posting.
Here is the link:

in-the-addition-shown-above-a-b-c-and-d-represent-161656.html

I do a thorough search before posting any new question. But this time I couldn't find this link :)
Thanks for sharing the link :!:
Forum moderator may delete this thread

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

GMAT Date: 12-12-2013
Adding ABCD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 22:18
ABC
+BCB
CDD

a. 8
b. 10
c. 12
d. 14
e. 18

Best Regards
Mithu Deb

“Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”

"If it doesn't challenge you, it wont change you"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129564 [0], given: 12202

Re: Adding ABCD [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 02:48
debmithu wrote:
ABC
+BCB
CDD

a. 8
b. 10
c. 12
d. 14
e. 18

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rules 1 and 3. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 129564 [0], given: 12202

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [6], given: 109

GPA: 3.02

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2013, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saintforlife wrote:

This problem can be solved much faster if you start with the options. As Mike has wonderfully explained, none of the digits will have a carry over.

Option E is \(18 = 9 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Now\(9+2>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option D is \(14 = 7 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Since \(C=A+B\), therefore \(C= 9\). Since \(C=9\) and \(B\) is a non zero digit, \(C+B>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option C is 12. This will have 2 cases-
\(Case 1--> 12 = 4 * 3\)

Here \(C= 4+3=7\). Now \(7+4>=10\) and [\(7+3>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

(OR) \(Case 2--> 6 * 2\).

Here \(C= 6+2=8\). Now \(8+2>=10\) and \(8+6>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option B is \(10 = 5 * 2\). If you follow the same set of steps you'll notice that there will not be any carry over digit for the case \(C=7, A=5, B=2\). So right answer!

Hope it was helpful.

Kudos [?]: 29 [6], given: 109

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 20:56
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 08:02
HKHR wrote:
saintforlife wrote:

This problem can be solved much faster if you start with the options. As Mike has wonderfully explained, none of the digits will have a carry over.

Option E is \(18 = 9 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Now\(9+2>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option D is \(14 = 7 * 2\)(no other case is possible). Since \(C=A+B\), therefore \(C= 9\). Since \(C=9\) and \(B\) is a non zero digit, \(C+B>=10\). Therefore, it will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option C is 12. This will have 2 cases-
\(Case 1--> 12 = 4 * 3\)

Here \(C= 4+3=7\). Now \(7+4>=10\) and [\(7+3>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

(OR) \(Case 2--> 6 * 2\).

Here \(C= 6+2=8\). Now \(8+2>=10\) and \(8+6>=10\). Therefore, both cases will have a carry over digit 1. So reject this option.

Option B is \(10 = 5 * 2\). If you follow the same set of steps you'll notice that there will not be any carry over digit for the case \(C=7, A=5, B=2\). So right answer!

Hope it was helpful.

Wonderful explanation. Just thought to add some more from my side. As we see only B satisfies all the necessary requirement(not to carry over any digits).

In option A, taking A=4 and B=2 also satisfies the condition as it is something like
+262
-------

But since we need maximum value well go for option B

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 12:25
took me 5 minutes to back solve

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 1474

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 10:34

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 22:49

Re: In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 22:49

In the addition shown above, A, B, C, and D represent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap