Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [4]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to [#permalink]
ConnectTheDots wrote:
why D is incorrect ?

If the predictions are rather obvious, what does it prove if 100% of them are accurate ?

the conclusion is about the fact that Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to foretell future events. no where it claims the kind of predictions she is making!! . now even if her claims are not against the odds and if what ever she is claiming is turning to be true then also the conclusion will hold because the conclusion is not making any empirical claim that she is making better predictions than her contemporaries,after all that is how odds are evaluated !!

also note that " if what ever she is claiming is turning to be true" then the conclusion is very much evaluated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to [#permalink]
aks456 wrote:
Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to foretell future events. In the past, Mrs. Mason has predicted such actual events as the election of President Clinton, the stock market crash of 1987, and the St. Loius Cardinals' 1982 World Series victory. These are just a few of Mrs. Mason's accurate predictions. The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the strength of the argument above?

A) What percentage of Mrs. Mason's predictions has come true?
B) What percentage of other people predicted the same events that Mrs Mason claims to have foretold?
C) What is the actual mechanism by which Mrs. Mason's psychic powers are supposed to operate?
D) Are Mrs Masons predictions usually against the odds?
E) To what extent does Mrs Mason base her predictions on Psychic intuion as opposed to psychic ability?
I selected E.. Can someone please explain why is it wrong?

Aks,

I happened to choose E myself first because i felt psychic intuition was something clearly different from psychic ability but it is not the case. They are almost synonymous. Psychic ability operates on the faculty of intuition.

This doesn't look like a very well framed question. The OA doesn't make a lot of sense. How would the % of accurate predictions be irrefutable proof to a person's psychic ability? If the events foretold are 85% accurate does it add weight to her psychic powers? If it is 65% does she still possess psychic power? Whats the range? I feel we need to find an answer here that says it is really psychic ability that is helping her to make these predictions and not just simple guessing or safe bets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Quote:
I happened to choose E myself first because i felt psychic intuition was something clearly different from psychic ability but it is not the case. They are almost synonymous. Psychic ability operates on the faculty of intuition.

This doesn't look like a very well framed question. The OA doesn't make a lot of sense. How would the % of accurate predictions be irrefutable proof to a person's psychic ability? If the events foretold are 85% accurate does it add weight to her psychic powers? If it is 65% does she still possess psychic power? Whats the range? I feel we need to find an answer here that says it is really psychic ability that is helping her to make these predictions and not just simple guessing or safe bets.

Hi RahulSingh13,

I just want to discuss my thought about this Q. Don't u think that a conclusion is always a group of words (often convoluted) and it's up to the reader to choose an aspect from the conclusion for debate? I feel in the conclusion: 'Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to foretell future events' - the principal claim is that the lady can foretell future events and not that her powers are psychic or otherwise. That she possess psychic powers is rather a premise by the author. If we think this way choice A makes much more sense, isn't it?
Share your thoughts, if u like to.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
binit wrote:
Quote:

Hi RahulSingh13,

I just want to discuss my thought about this Q. Don't u think that a conclusion is always a group of words (often convoluted) and it's up to the reader to choose an aspect from the conclusion for debate? I feel in the conclusion: 'Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers that enable her to foretell future events' - the principal claim is that the lady can foretell future events and not that her powers are psychic or otherwise. That she possess psychic powers is rather a premise by the author. If we think this way choice A makes much more sense, isn't it?
Share your thoughts, if u like to.

Hello Binit,

Isn't the ability to foretell future events in part the ability of a psychic? The fact that she can foretell future events implies that she has a certain ability, clairvoyance which in the argument is clearly stated as "psychic powers".

Lets assume it's not psychic ability and lets say she foretelling future events. If she made 4 predictions and got all of them right then 100% of her predictions are accurate, her ability can be vindicated. If she makes 5 predictions and gets one wrong she is right only 80% of the times. So now we know that she can't foretell future events? My entire contention is that how can we accurately say that she can foretell without being able to safely rule out the possibility that she just isn't a regular person making guesses and getting them right or that the predictions that she is making are just plain obvious. If she predicted that Narendra Modi would become PM and not RaGa it's a not so much a prediction than it is just plain obvious. That's why i prefer D here because IMO if we know that she is just not going with the flow or making safe bets, she just might be foretelling future events. This is just my take on this argument and by no means I am claiming it must be correct.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rahul,

Your first comment was more concerned about 'psychic powers', but now u feel D is a better choice. Anyway, D can be easily ruled out in front of A, I think. Think about it, which one is more necessary: 1. Mrs Mason's accuracy (% correct) or 2. Her predictions being against the odds. Please notice that without 1, 2 is just nothing. Consider this: Mrs. Mason predicted in 90% events against general public expectations but her accuracy has been only 5% (e.g. She favored RaGa over NaMo ;)). So, A is anytime better than D. D is a very good point given A is true :)

Ur comments.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
binit wrote:
Hi Rahul,

Your first comment was more concerned about 'psychic powers', but now u feel D is a better choice. Anyway, D can be easily ruled out in front of A, I think. Think about it, which one is more necessary: 1. Mrs Mason's accuracy (% correct) or 2. Her predictions being against the odds. Please notice that without 1, 2 is just nothing. Consider this: Mrs. Mason predicted in 90% events against general public expectations but her accuracy has been only 5% (e.g. She favored RaGa over NaMo ;)). So, A is anytime better than D. D is a very good point given A is true :)

Ur comments.

Thanks.

My stance is still concerned with psychic powers which i believe is synonymous with the faculty of foretelling future events, I chose to drop that term for the sake of taking up your argument and following from there, which is something I'm afraid you haven't reciprocated since you still haven't answered my question, namely "if her accuracy in predictions is not 100% can it still be claimed that she can foretell future events?" I erroneously selected Option E which I've conceded in my first comment itself since I wrongly presumed psychic intuition to be an alternative explanation which it is not. If you read my first comment you can clearly see that I've stated " I feel we need to find an answer here that says it is really psychic ability that is helping her to make these predictions and not just simple guessing or safe bets." In my opinion D went on to explain that but after your explanation I can see how D doesn't fit the bill but A still doesn't convince me either!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rahul,

Okay, can we think of the argument stating Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers as a premise and her powers enable her to foretell future events as the main conclusion? I think we can divide the first sentence into 2 w/o changing the meaning. So, the argument looks like:
Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers. Her powers enable her to foretell future events. In the past, Mrs. Mason has predicted such actual events as the election of President Clinton, the stock market crash of 1987, and the St. Loius Cardinals' 1982 World Series victory. These are just a few of Mrs. Mason's accurate predictions.

Don't you think we should take the first sentence as a premise and should not doubt it? BTW rest of the argument is totally devoted to the accuracy of Mrs. Mason and so is expected from the correct answer choice.

What do u think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
binit wrote:
Hi Rahul,

Okay, can we think of the argument stating Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers as a premise and her powers enable her to foretell future events as the main conclusion? I think we can divide the first sentence into 2 w/o changing the meaning. So, the argument looks like:
Mrs. Mason is gifted with psychic powers. Her powers enable her to foretell future events. In the past, Mrs. Mason has predicted such actual events as the election of President Clinton, the stock market crash of 1987, and the St. Loius Cardinals' 1982 World Series victory. These are just a few of Mrs. Mason's accurate predictions.

Don't you think we should take the first sentence as a premise and should not doubt it? BTW rest of the argument is totally devoted to the accuracy of Mrs. Mason and so is expected from the correct answer choice.

What do u think?

Ok Binit, going by that , correct me if I'm wrong in my saying that the correct answer choice should help us establish whether she is foretelling the future events accurately which takes me back to my original question, what % is the right % to safely say that yes she is foretelling her predictions accurately. It's either 100% or nothing right? So lets assume when we raise the question "What percentage of Mrs. Mason's predictions has come true?" and the answer is 70%. Now what I am trying to understand is what does that tell us about Mrs Mason's ability to foretell. It would be really helpful if you could elaborate your rationale behind choosing option A vis-a-vis the argument instead of breaking down the argument further.
As far as I what I've picked up since i recently got started on my gmat prep is that the correct answer choice addresses the conclusion, and since we are agreeing here that the main conclusion is "her powers enable her to foretell future events" shouldn't we be looking for an answer that tells us it indeed is her powers that enables her and not something else? Please do let me know your thoughts because this is only helping me to understand CR and how to approach it more effectively. Thanks again for humoring me!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Send PM