Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Should I come to campus for an interview?
Applicants often ask about our applicant-initiated interviewsand whether they should make the trip to Hanover for an interview.  My answer is “if you are able to make the trip, absolutely!”

Tuck is one of the few schools that does not have an invitation-only interview policy.  Our interviews are open to anyone who wants to interview, provided they come to campus and complete the interview before the deadline for their round.  Now if you don’t make it to campus for an interview, we then switch to an invitational system like most of our peers.  We review your application and if you are someone we want more information about (e.g. we are considering moving forward with your application), we will invite you to interview.  That invitational interview will be done either on-campus, with a travelling admissions officer, or by Skype.

Why do we have this type of policy?  We want to get to know you fully.  Tuck believes that interpersonal skills are critical to being a successful business leader and a successful member of the Tuck community.  Accordingly, we want to give as many people as possible the chance to introduce themselves and fully shine.

There are two significant benefits for an applicant who comes to campus.  First, you get a full sense of the school.  Tuck is a unique community that you really need to experience to fully appreciate.  When you come for an interview visit, you will also attend a class, have lunch with students, tour the campus and have Q&A with an admissions officer.  I often find that applicants who have visited have a much better understanding of what makes Tuck distinctive and why it is the right school for them.  The second benefit is you guarantee yourself the greatest chance to be admitted.  We do not admit any applicant who has not been interviewed (either by their own initiative or by invitation).  Since we cannot invite every applicant who applies, it is possible if you don’t come up on your own, you will not be invited, and you will have lost out on the opportunity to fully show us who you are.  In the past, there have been applicants who on paper might not have stood out enough to be invited for an interview, but they made the trip and because they were so strong in the interview, we ended up admitting them.  Had they not made the effort to initiate an interview, they most likely would not have been admitted to Tuck.

How is it interpreted if you don’t come for an interview?  We understand that not everyone can make the trip to Hanover, particularly our international applicants, and we are not going to hold that against you.  In fact, we give you space in the application to explain your reasons for not coming if you haven’t.  But applicants who do not live far away, and who do not come for an interview, can leave a slight impression that they are less committed to coming to Tuck than those applicants who do make the trip.  Does that mean you don’t have a chance of getting in?  Not at all!   We still invite and admit many applicants who didn’t come to campus.  But if it came down to two applicants, all other things being relatively equal, one of whom came to campus to interview on his own, and the other who didn’t, who do you think we are going to be more inclined to admit?

A word to the wise, interview slots tend to fill up quickly.  Don’t wait to the last minute to schedule your interview only to find out we don’t have any space available.  Click here to schedule a visit.  I hope to see you all on campus soon!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Women in Business Conference: From Prospective Student to Co-Chair

The theme of this year’s annual Women in Business Conference, Step Boldly, encompasses what I feel Tuck prepares you to do as a future female business leader.  Tuck is a place that will nurture and challenge you in equal measure so that you to have the confidence to chart your career path.  Whether you are just beginning to consider business school, are currently a Tuck student, or are an alumnae, the conference brings together a group of women for thought provoking speakers, workshops, and networking events.  Particularly beneficial for prospective students (I was one myself at the conference two years ago), the conference is an opportunity to immerse yourself in our distinctive community. 

I can vividly remember the October weekend I spent in Hanover two years ago.  There were helpful panels from Admissions, a student life panel full of women who impressed and inspired me, a keynote lunch and dinner with notable alumnae who shared tales from their careers in finance and marketing, a mock class, and dinner with a small group of first-year women at one of their homes.  The small group dinner, a Tuck tradition, was particularly memorable as I felt the warmth of a group of women who had so quickly bonded through the hard work and fast pace of the first-year fall term and were simultaneously so eager to reach out to myself and other prospective students to share their stories and enthusiasm about the Tuck community.

Last fall I sat on the other side of that table, and was able to pay forward some of my newfound wisdom with other women considering business school.  Now, I am planning the conference myself with two co-chairs (one of whom I met at the conference as a prospective student), hoping to create the same experience for another group of women.  Some highlights from this year’s conference include a keynote dinner with Patty Wolff T’94 and Angelique Krembs T’94 both of whom have had long careers in marketing at Pepsi, a Saturday keynote lunch with Christina Morrison T’93 who is currently the Senior Vice President of Finance at Aramark, a Gender Intelligence workshop presented by Barbara Annis and Associates, an alumnae panel of women from the class of 2008, Tucktails, small group dinners, and so much more!  We hope you consider joining us on October 24th-26th, you can find more information about the conference and apply (by Friday, September 19) on website

Brooke Beatt T’15

WIB Conference Co-Chair
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Focus on Applicants from India: MBA Decoder
Our Key Country Representative for India, Sudershan Tirumala T'10 ("Suds" as we know him around here), recently sat down with MBA Decoder to provide an insider view into Tuck, the application process, what it's like to be a student, and career paths post MBA.  Learn more about the program, what sets Tuck apart and what we look for in an applicant. 

Be sure to follow the official Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth Admission Query Thread on PaGalGuy.

Good luck in the application process. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions along the way.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Interviewing Do’s and Don’t's
Interviewing season is upon us.  As I explained in my earlier blog, Tuck has an open interview policy, and just last week we started welcoming prospective applicants to campus to complete their admissions interview and experience the Tuck classroom and community up close.  Since many of you are getting ready for interviews now, I thought I would provide some of my thoughts on how to prepare.  

The first tip is to relax.  Tuck interviews are meant to be a conversation.  We look at them as an opportunity to get to know you better and for you to get to know us too.  We aren’t trying to put you in a high stress situation or make you sweat.  On the flip side, don’t relax too much.  Most of our interviews are conducted by second year students. Some applicants get too casual and assume since they are being interviewed by someone they see as a peer it is okay to slouch, slip into slang or reveal information they probably shouldn’t.  While we certainly want you to feel comfortable and act like yourself, remember, no matter who conducts your interview (student or staff), you should approach it in a completely professional manner.

Similar to your essays, interviews are a great vehicle to share your story.  Through the interview, we hope to hear more examples of the types of experiences you have had in both your personal and professional life, and to get a sense of your demonstrated record of achievement, your interpersonal and communication skills, and your focus.  There are no right or wrong answers to the questions we ask, so the best approach is to be yourself and tell us what you really think.  A mistake I often see from applicants is that they try to tell the interviewer what they think the admissions committee wants to hear.  The unfortunate result is they sound inauthentic and/or lacking substance.

It is important to prepare for the interview in advance.  Think about the types of questions you are likely going to get, e.g. what are your goals, why do you want to get an MBA, why do you want to come to Tuck, leadership roles, your strengths and weaknesses, etc.  Then think about specific anecdotes from your past experiences to support each response.  When presenting an anecdote, be sure to explain (1) the situation you faced, (2) what actions you took, and (3) discuss the result.  Often candidates will spend too much time on the situation, giving lots of details about the project itself, but then fail to talk about what they actually did and what happened.  The steps you took, your thought process, the results and what you learned from the experience are really what we are most interested in, so please don’t neglect that part.  The caveat with preparation is don’t overdo it.  You don’t want to sound like you are reading from a script.

When you get into the interview listen carefully and answer the question being asked.  This may sound obvious, but many applicants are so excited to give an answer they have prepared or they want to be sure to make particular points that they don’t offer them at the appropriate times.  I once had an applicant launch into a long discussion of what his goals were, why he needed an MBA and why Tuck was the best school for him, but my question to him was “so, are you originally from Chicago?”

Your answers should be specific and include sufficient details to make your point, but remember to be concise.  The interview is short, 30-45 minutes, so make the most of it.  Once you have answered the question, stop.  The most frustrating interviews I conduct are the ones where the applicant is long-winded and/or strays off topic.  In the end, I don’t have time to get to all of the points I want to cover, and the applicant has missed out on the opportunity to provide a complete picture of himself.

Remember your audience – your interviewer may not have come from your industry, so don’t get overly technical in the details and don’t use too much jargon.

Research the school in advance – asking questions that could be easily answered by looking at the school’s website does not create a good impression.

A couple of obvious points that bear repeating: don’t be late, and remember to turn off your cell phone. 

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
So there is some good news in this busy application season! I just received an email saying that the Scholarship application has been scrapped this year. Woohoo! One less essay to write! All candidates applying will be considered for the financial aid award.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Club Spotlight: Finance Club
Tuck is great for students who are interested in a career in finance, and the Tuck Finance Club is one of many helpful resources.  We are a student-run group to assist Tuck students in understanding job opportunities available in the financial marketplace.  Whether students worked in finance before school or are looking to completely change careers, we provide a forum to support students in building the interview and networking skills necessary for securing a finance internship or full time role on Wall Street and beyond.

We work with the Career Development Office to assist students in exploring career opportunities.  The Finance Club also works in close cooperation with the Private Equity Club and the Investment Club.  We organize several events over the course of the school year, including:

• Recruiting and social events
  • Resume reviews and mock interviews
  • Workshops on various financial topics and career panels specifically for finance careers, including Investment Banking
  • Financial modeling and valuation workshops with Training the Street
  • Panels describing 2nd year students' internships
  • Seminars on finance-related topics (e.g., valuation, day in the life of a trader, how to succeed on Wall Street)

Reflections from T’15 members:

• “As is Tuck’s way, the second-year members of the Finance Club were always energetic and willing to help me find my path to investment banking. Whether it was taking the time to do multiple mock interviews, having coffee and sharing their summer stories or helping me in banking-related classes, I always had a great support network of peers and cannot wait to pay it forward to the incoming class.”

• “From the pre-Wall Street Trek meeting to pre-internship meeting, I believe that each and every club meeting was very helpful and provided all the resources/information that I needed for the entire recruiting process.  But most of all, I was amazed by how accessible the second-year members were for mock interviews and for general advice.”  

• “Finance Club and T’14s gave me timely advice on behavioral and technical aspects of investment banking. They also introduced me to several senior bankers at their firm and guided me through the interviewing process.”

Good luck!

- T'15 Co-Chairs: Alison Wheeler, Fanis Tigas, Hendrik Schroeder
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
So there is some good news in this busy application season! I just received an email saying that the Scholarship application has been scrapped this year. Woohoo! One less essay to write! All candidates applying will be considered for the financial aid award.

I was on vacation. As soon as I returned back, I checked my mail and found this email telling me, "no more separate application for schol!" woo hoo! :D
anupamgupta2112 - agree with you... 1 less essay to write... But, wouldn't mean that candidates with real financial needs are now at par with other candidates. :?:
food for thought...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Early Action app submitted, now on to the interview!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Addressing Tricky Situations
Contract ended. Laid off. Better opportunity.

On academic probation.

My recommendations are from my former supervisor and my colleague.

We see things like these on applications all the time. Brief and to the point, phrases like these may give the basic details of a situation, but fail to fully explain what’s going on. When that happens, you are raising questions in the readers’ minds. If you leave it to your reader to guess the answer, you’re opening yourself up to misinterpretation and mistakes. Your job as an applicant is to be upfront; answer those questions before they ever become an issue.

Let’s look at some of the common problems we see.

Unusual Work History

We’ve faced a challenging job market for a few years now. There have been companies folding, layoffs, and tough competition for remaining jobs. Things may be looking up but many people haven’t experienced steady growth in their careers. In addition, some people are risk-takers or work in inherently less-stable industries.  Or some people unexpectedly receive great offers, necessitating frequent moves.

There are a variety of reasons your work history may not be a straight upward progression. The key challenge for you is to explain it, not just in two words, but in a full sentence; maybe even more than one sentence. If you had a gap between jobs, let us know what you did during the gap. If you accepted a better offer, explain why it was better, especially if the title or salary doesn’t make that immediately obvious. Think not just “what?” but “why?”

Academic Stumbles

Frequently we’ll see resumes that highlight an applicant’s GPA in their major or for their last two years at school. OK, we understand why you’d want to highlight the better years or classes, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t going to look at everything. So be sure to talk about those other years or classes. Acknowledge your academic flaws, whether it’s one course or a whole semester. Give us an understanding of the situation, what you learned from it and, most importantly, why this is an anomaly and not a reflection of the student you will be at Tuck.

Recommendation Choices

We prefer recommendations from supervisors and strongly prefer that your current supervisor will be one of the people providing your recommendation. But there are many reasons why you might wish to have someone other than your current supervisor write it. Maybe you just started working for them, or telling them will affect your promotion and assignment opportunities, or they simply don’t understand what you do. As with the other situations, explain. Tell us why you picked this choice for your recommender. Explain how this person can give a well-rounded perspective of your skills and abilities. Letting us know the reason why stops us from guessing – often incorrectly.

The optional essay is a great place to explain these tricky situations if you couldn’t fit it neatly into another part of your application. You don’t need to write an essay. You do need to fill in any blanks for the reader so we don’t fill it in ourselves.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:

I was on vacation. As soon as I returned back, I checked my mail and found this email telling me, "no more separate application for schol!" woo hoo! :D
anupamgupta2112 - agree with you... 1 less essay to write... But, wouldn't mean that candidates with real financial needs are now at par with other candidates. :?:
food for thought...

I think scholarships should be merit-based. Need based is good, but exceptional merit should trump need. Trust me, I NEED it. :D But I would still rather have the scholarship awarded to me because I deserved it on merit, not because I am poor.

Just my thoughts.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
bagcanbabayigit wrote:
I wonder whether an applicant who gets a score below 700 in GMAT should try his chance in Tuck in January round. I mean does a score below 700 (lets say somewhere around 650) have a chance to get an acceptance or not? To be honest, the academic success of prospective students and class profiles led me to think a score below 700, especially somewhere around 650, will never have a chance for to be a Tuckie..

It really depends on your profile. GMAT/GPA is truly only one of the many factors taken into consideration for b-school acceptance. Things you can control includes your essay, your recommendation, and how you pitch your work experience. The things you cannot control that are taken in to account are: you career progression, your industry of experience, you nationality/race/gender, other applicants' profile. Focus on the things you can control to craft as a compile reason as possible. School typically look for candidates who can contribute to the classroom discussion and can leverage their backgrounds, experience, and the b-school education to succeed after b-school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
bagcanbabayigit wrote:
I wonder whether an applicant who gets a score below 700 in GMAT should try his chance in Tuck in January round. I mean does a score below 700 (lets say somewhere around 650) have a chance to get an acceptance or not? To be honest, the academic success of prospective students and class profiles led me to think a score below 700, especially somewhere around 650, will never have a chance for to be a Tuckie..

It really depends on your profile. GMAT/GPA is truly only one of the many factors taken into consideration for b-school acceptance. Things you can control includes your essay, your recommendation, and how you pitch your work experience. The things you cannot control that are taken in to account are: you career progression, your industry of experience, you nationality/race/gender, other applicants' profile. Focus on the things you can control to craft as a compile reason as possible. School typically look for candidates who can contribute to the classroom discussion and can leverage their backgrounds, experience, and the b-school education to succeed after b-school.

I somehow don't agree that your career progression and industry are out of your control. There may be unexpected circumstances in your career, but it is largely under your control. As for your industry, this solely depends on your own volition. Not sure why this is out of your control.

Having said that, I think the GMAT is just one aspect of an application. A 700+ does not guarantee an admit to any school. It needs to be backed up by a well-rounded application.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
I somehow don't agree that your career progression and industry are out of your control. There may be unexpected circumstances in your career, but it is largely under your control. As for your industry, this solely depends on your own volition. Not sure why this is out of your control.

Having said that, I think the GMAT is just one aspect of an application. A 700+ does not guarantee an admit to any school. It needs to be backed up by a well-rounded application.
You are right. You have control over all aspect of your application. I was looking for a short-term perspective. When an applicant is applying for b-school, there are things the s/he can not control at that point. It would be wise to focus on how to tell a compiling story from your background.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
I think scholarships should be merit-based. Need based is good, but exceptional merit should trump need. Trust me, I NEED it. :D But I would still rather have the scholarship awarded to me because I deserved it on merit, not because I am poor.

Just my thoughts.

Just chatted with Pat Harrison on Beat The GMAT. My question to her was...
Quote:
Hi Ms Pat,
Tuck recently waived off the requirement for submitting scholarship form. If Tuck will not be aware of the financial background of the students, then how will it offer the need-based scholarships? Or are there only merit based scholarships now?

To which she replied...
Quote:
Pat Harrison (Senior Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck) replied
Tuck scholarships have always been based on a combination of need and merit. The financial aid office will have some sense of need based on the income information provided in the application, and additional information may be sought after the scholarship has been awarded.

I do expect some impact on the need based schols.
anupamgupta2112 - bro, I think we differ in our opinion here. Because ppl who work in NGOs and government sector will get biased against in this matter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
I do expect some impact on the need based schols.
anupamgupta2112 - bro, I think we differ in our opinion here. Because ppl who work in NGOs and government sector will get biased against in this matter.

Care to explain? I did not quite get your logic there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Does Tuck do any mid-cycle release or acceptances for EA or are all of the decisions sent out right at Dec 18th?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
goinggolfing wrote:
Does Tuck do any mid-cycle release or acceptances for EA or are all of the decisions sent out right at Dec 18th?

I haven't heard of any decisions going out before the deadline. No forums/blogs talk about it. If they do this, it means I will jump every time I see an unknown number flash for a good 2 months..:P
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts