Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuckies Do Boston: The Boston Consulting Trek

By Nicole Daniele T’16

Nicole Daniele T’16 grew up in Edison, New Jersey and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with degrees in international relations and Italian. Prior to Tuck, she worked at the Private Bank at J.P. Morgan for five years, in Philadelphia as a relationship manager, and in New York as a business manager on the Private Bank’s global investment leadership team. She is thrilled to finally be living somewhere more than 50 miles from home and playing tripod ice hockey after years spent running around a field hockey pitch.

Whether you are a committed career changer and passionate about starting a career in consulting (like me), or a first-year evaluating different industries for summer internships, the Boston consulting trek is an incredible chance to visit some of the world’s most prestigious consulting firms—and, as far as I know, another unique feature of Tuck. (Most of my friends, be they at business school or back in the “real world,” told me I was crazy to be thinking about jobs only one month into my MBA!) Jointly organized by the Career Development Office and the Consulting Club, the trek provides first-year students the opportunity to tour a variety of firms in a more informal setting and liaise with Tuck alumni.

Since my last experience—“trekking with Tuckies”—involved a four-day hike to Machu Picchu, I expected that our three-day excursion would be somewhat less strenuous. As usual, Tuck proved me wrong for all of the right reasons! Our 6 a.m. departure was quite rough post an evening of celebrating the end of Fall A exams, but thanks to some reggaeton and 90s hits on Spotify, we arrived at Parthenon’s waterfront offices suited up and ready.

Jay Bartlett T’96 served as our keynote speaker for the trek, proudly donning his old Tuck tripod hockey jersey and sharing stories about his glory days on the ice and his career. Bartlett is a founder of Parthenon’s private equity group and previously did a stint with the US Olympic Committee in Salt Lake City.

While eager to discuss Parthenon, he imparted some key advice as we kicked off the tour. He asked all 88 of us to think about three questions during each office visit:

• Are people there—either in the office or on the road—and what are they doing? 
  • Who are the clients? 
  • What type of work does each firm do?

While these questions seem relatively simple, they proved invaluable in helping us differentiate between firms, and evaluate where we believe we would find the most success in the long run.

Depending on individual preference, we had the opportunity to visit up to 11 firms including:

• The Parthenon Group
  • L.E.K. Consulting
  • OC&C Strategy Consultants
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Altman Vilandrie & Company
  • IGS
  • McKinsey
  • Monitor Deloitte
  • Bain & Company
  • Analysis Group
  • Boston Consulting Group

The three days were a whirlwind of presentations, cocktails, open Q&A, and smaller breakout sessions—one of which was likened to speed dating, an interesting recruiting analogy! It proved, however, to be an invaluable opportunity to connect with Tuckies, all of whom were enthusiastic about helping us navigate recruiting, sharing career advice, and were proud of what distinguishes their firm—whether that includes industry expertise, office and case model, or personality. 

Many firms emphasized similarities in Tuck’s unique culture and theirs, and reiterated how much our Tuck experience will prepare us for a successful career in consulting. We have returned to Hanover energized to continue recruiting, begin case prep with second years, and with a much clearer picture of a day in the life and career progression of a successful Tuckie consultant. 

And … lest you think our trekking days are over, us T’16s are in the midst of scheduling smaller consulting treks to far-flung locales like Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, NYC, and London to meet with more Tuckies. My hiking boots may be packed away for the winter, but the adventures with new friends and classmates continue.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.95
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone else getting a prompt on the work screen that they're leaving out info for "Previous Employer 1" - specifically job function - when they Save and Continue at the Employment Information tab?

My listing goes from "Current or Most Recent Employer" to "Previous Employer 2" then," " 3, " " 4 - which seems to make sense with them saying at the top they want to know about four total work experiences.

Any thoughts? Not overly worried about it, but it might keep me from submitting tonight so I can call and ask them in the morning, which I DON'T want to do! Ready for this one to be in and R1 complete for me. . .

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

EDIT - Nevermind, got it resolved (user error - no surprise). I'm officially in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
phew! just submitted! and with that my R1 schools are complete and the waiting game begins. Good luck everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
In for EA!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Finished EA! Both recommendations done too! What a relief!!!
For me it is a LONG waiting game, as I am done with the interview. Dec 18th could NOT come sooner..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
neo656 wrote:
chairman14 wrote:
neo656 I am not too far off on the GPA scale and its definitely the weakest part of my application. However, i think you can highlight it in your optional essay if you feel its necessary. In my case I don't have any specific reasons for not having a stellar undergraduate gpa that can be classified as extenuating :P. My understanding is that they might compare it across the applicants from your region/country and see how you have fared. Don't worry, hopefully that 760 will shine enough to neutralize it :)

Thanks chairman... your words are encouraging... :)

I am not too worried about my GPA too. I was, it is a 6.9 on 10. I spoke to current students and they said unless you have a really valid reason (sickness, loss etc), don't try to explain it. Get a good GMAT score instead and then your GPA won't be a factor.

Thanks for all the advice... :)
I indeed chose not to justify, but gave them idea of my extenuating circumstances (left it up to them to make the connection). Worst case scenario, they'll get to know me better... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hit submit this morning for EA. I think this week will be my first real period of R&R since I started this process nearly a year ago. I don't even know what to do with myself.

This community has greatly aided in my application process, and I want to thank you all for your help.

Shout out to Domotron - Was good talking with you during my fall visit.

Eric

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Webster wrote:
Anyone else getting a prompt on the work screen that they're leaving out info for "Previous Employer 1" - specifically job function - when they Save and Continue at the Employment Information tab?

My listing goes from "Current or Most Recent Employer" to "Previous Employer 2" then," " 3, " " 4 - which seems to make sense with them saying at the top they want to know about four total work experiences.

Any thoughts? Not overly worried about it, but it might keep me from submitting tonight so I can call and ask them in the morning, which I DON'T want to do! Ready for this one to be in and R1 complete for me. . .

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

EDIT - Nevermind, got it resolved (user error - no surprise). I'm officially in.

Hi , I had the same issue today, when I have pressed submit applicatoin. I returned back and chosed again the code.
Just Try multiple times and you will succeed.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
I have submitted my application few hours ago
And I am glad to be in for EA! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Finished EA! Both recommendations done too! What a relief!!!
For me it is a LONG waiting game, as I am done with the interview. Dec 18th could NOT come sooner..

Just submitted EA...any idea when internationals like me cane expect to hear regarding the off-campus interview invites? Im guessing it will be soon after the November deadline right, so that they can review both pools of applications together?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
App is in. Reco's are not in yet! :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
has any body scheduled open interview? i will be in Tuck for open interview next week!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
looks like Tuck just extended their deadline by one day to Oct 9 5 pm for EA due to technical issues with submission

anyone have any insight on whether its even remotely possible to initiate alumni interview prior to being invited? i'm based in asia and willing to fly anywhere in asia for interview with alumni. just don't think i will be able to get out of work for trip out to hanover. realistically a weekend trip somewhere in asia makes more sense but i know its not an option officially on the website. if anyone has ever gotten that to work, please let me know as i would like to ask you more details in private. thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
homeone wrote:
looks like Tuck just extended their deadline by one day to Oct 9 5 pm for EA due to technical issues with submission

anyone have any insight on whether its even remotely possible to initiate alumni interview prior to being invited? i'm based in asia and willing to fly anywhere in asia for interview with alumni. just don't think i will be able to get out of work for trip out to hanover. realistically a weekend trip somewhere in asia makes more sense but i know its not an option officially on the website. if anyone has ever gotten that to work, please let me know as i would like to ask you more details in private. thanks!

Where do you see the information about deadline extension? I haven't received any communication nor I see that on their website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
mbathisyear wrote:
homeone wrote:

Where do you see the information about deadline extension? I haven't received any communication nor I see that on their website.

Here is email i received earlier today.

We have been informed by many applicants that they have been experiencing technical issues with processing the application fee payment. While we have been working with our vendor to remedy the issue, we are still seeing some challenges with the technology. In order to extend the opportunity to anyone who is prepared and planning to apply in our Early Action round, we are extending the deadline to Friday, October 9 until 5:00PM EST.

Thank you for your interest in Tuck! Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Sincerely,

Dawna Clarke
Director, Admissions
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
That's very thoughtful of the adcom, even though I faced no such issues and submission went like a charm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
finmaster wrote:
That's very thoughtful of the adcom, even though I faced no such issues and submission went like a charm.

It did indeed... took me like couple of mins and vrooommm went the app.... :run
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts