Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Human Resources (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling Judge(Cambridge) Applicnts(2015 Intake)Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Phone interviews started last Friday.

Did anyone do his/her phone interview? Please share your experience
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: My trip to Angola
So I was waiting outside my hotel looking for our designated driver when I heard someone ask me 你需要帮忙吗?(Do you need any help in Mandarin). That shouldn’t be surprising except that I was in Luanda, capital of Angola, and it was a Portuguese woman who was speaking to me in Mandarin. It was a great example of globalisation.

I am in Luanda for three days as part of a joint promotion trip featuring Cambridge JBS, Oxford SBS and LSE. This trip was organised by Ernst and Young (now called EY) who has launched a scholarship for Angolan nationals resident in Angola to study a one year Masters programme at any one of the three institutions. For CJBS, the scholarship is applicable for either the MBA or the Masters in Finance. You can find more information here.

While in Luanda, we had a chance to meet some prospective Angolan candidates and we had to briefly introduce our various programmes before having one to one consultations. I thought it would be beneficial to share (as best as I can remember because I was talking off the cuff and didn’t record my speech) what I said and I would be interested to hear people’s comments.

“I would like to talk about three main issues.

Firstly, the Cambridge Masters in Finance and MBA programmes. The MFin programme is for people with a prior finance background and who want a deep dive into finance. My enduring memory of the rationale behind the MFin programme is an anecdote from Simon Taylor, the Director of the MFin, where he compared the state of present-day finance to 19th century medicine, when practitioners tried all sorts of remedies to see what works. To me that sounds harsh but the events of the global financial crisis did show the inadequacies of modern finance theories and the inability/lack of desire from practitioners to put into practice finance theories.

The MBA is a general management degree. The way I think of this is producing the T-shaped manager. Many of our students have had several years building up their deep functional expertise, in areas such as accounting, finance, marketing etc. But what they need to make the transition to the next level is not more functional expertise but a broader appreciation of other areas and an understanding of how each area fits together. The MBA provides this horizontal understanding and also develops students who can lead people from different functional areas. Hence, the T-shaped manager.

Secondly I want to talk about our strategy in Africa. We don’t have many students from Africa but we would like to have more because I see Africa as a continent that has an exciting economic future but more importantly, will develop its own path to prosperity. While students from Africa will benefit from our programmes, it is just as important for students and faculty from other countries to learn about Africa.

Thirdly why study in the UK instead of the US where Angolan students have traditionally gone to. One word. Globalisation. Many US programmes call themselves international if they have 30% non-Americans. In the UK, the norm is for 90% or more international students. I have heard from candidates that they want an African network, which is important. But what African leaders need more than that is a global network. Everywhere I go in Angola I have seen Chinese, Portuguese, even the people running the restaurant in this office building are Indonesians. As Angola and the rest of Africa develops, it will be even more important for African leaders to understand how to work with business leaders from key trading and investment partners, such as China, Japan, the US and Europe. And you won’t get that skill from a textbook or an online course or Google. You have to learn that through immersing yourself in an environment where you are forced to interact with people from all over the world.”
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Has anyone recieved invites for R2 interviews?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.92
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
It's still early days for R2 invites to go out. From the website:
"We will send you an email notification as to the status of your application approximately five weeks after the relevant application deadline. Please note your application must be complete (including the receipt of all necessary supporting information) before it can be considered."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
It's two weeks since the R2 deadline. Any ideas if interview decisions will be released today / next friday?

Next friday (14 Dec) will be equally spaced - three weeks each - from the R2 deadline (24 Oct) and the telephonic rounds date (5 Dec).

So I'm inclined to believe there should be invites going out next weekend. Any thoughts on this 'theory' ? :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
vypr999 wrote:
It's two weeks since the R2 deadline. Any ideas if interview decisions will be released today / next friday?

Next friday (14 Dec) will be equally spaced - three weeks each - from the R2 deadline (24 Oct) and the telephonic rounds date (5 Dec).

So I'm inclined to believe there should be invites going out next weekend. Any thoughts on this 'theory' ? :)

I agree, invites must be out or on their way soon!! Any successful applicants?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Although i applied to other programs.. for some reason i feel particularly drawn to the JBS MBA. If i get invited to interview, i'll take that as a clear sign. I'm optimistic and i hope the admissions team can feel my passion and ambition through the essays. Hmm I wonder if Cambridge will be a part of my journey.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
donsoze wrote:
Although i applied to other programs.. for some reason i feel particularly drawn to the JBS MBA. If i get invited to interview, i'll take that as a clear sign. I'm optimistic and i hope the admissions team can feel my passion and ambition through the essays. Hmm I wonder if Cambridge will be a part of my journey.....

donsoze
It is an attractive program; Minimum 3 practical projects, 1 year program, affordable (compared to other schools), location (Silicon fen), small class, network, brand name ..etc
So far, I like the application process. The adcom team is very helpful and social. If you accept the interview invitation, you will be invited to a closed CJBS applicants fb group. The group is very active. Current students share their experiences and future students discuss their goals.
btw I was told that 3 out of 4 applicants get an acceptance offer after the interview. The on-campus interview and networking event are great experiences. I bet that you will end up choosing CJBS after these events.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with the merits of the program. There are several things to really like about the Cambridge MBA.

With that, the wait for R2 applicants has been really long.. When will R2 interview invites go out? Or have I missed something? :-)

sab7a, when did you submit your application, and when did you receive the interview invite?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vypr999 wrote:
I agree with the merits of the program. There are several things to really like about the Cambridge MBA.

With that, the wait for R2 applicants has been really long.. When will R2 interview invites go out? Or have I missed something? :-)

sab7a, when did you submit your application, and when did you receive the interview invite?

vypr999 I think I received an invitation 8 business days after I submitted my application. But bear in mind that this was R1. Adcom didn't have many applications to process prior R1. Where in your case, adcom has to finalize R1 applicants before start inviting R2 applicants.
Also in my experience, adcom sent invites ~23 days before R1 Interview day. If you assume the same will happen for R2, where Interview day is 12/5, then invites might go out this Wednesday or Thursday.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your quick response.. this weekend should be fun!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I just received my interview invite - good luck to everyone else who's currently waiting!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I am a Round 2 applicant and received an interview invite a few minutes ago. Hope this helps anyone who is still waiting. Cambridge Judge is a school that I really like.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Do they send a mail to everyone regarding their decisions (irrespective of shortlisted or not)?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Join Chat Room!!

Discuss your questions/doubts with MBA Prep School Team.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi krelian87, StoneKiss .. what time did you guys get the invites? (GMT please!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
I got mine at half past noon, GMT
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6