Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
Re: Switching Companies Acceptable? [#permalink]
politricks wrote:
Not if it helps your story. I switched right before applying, but the new job fit my narrative. Since your new job would be more money and a more blue chip company that is a MBA feeder, I think that helps your pedigree and you should do it. I think this is more of a concern for people who switch jobs frequently.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Thanks for the prompt comment.

It doesn't necessarily help my narrative as I am looking to switch into research and securities/asset analysis but it is a more blue chip company with heavy connections in the business school realm.

I hope Tuck is going well. That's my #1 goal though I am doing Columbia early decision because I think it's worth the possible sacrifice of not going to Tuck if I get accepted there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)
Send PM
"a more reputable (suggest 'demanding/challenging') company, more exciting responsibilities, and a better (suggest 'diverse') team"

Just highlight those qualities if they ask and it'll be fine - express you want to enhance your skillset and this move will add x, y, z that you wouldnt get at company A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:
"a more reputable (suggest 'demanding/challenging') company, more exciting responsibilities, and a better (suggest 'diverse') team"

Just highlight those qualities if they ask and it'll be fine - express you want to enhance your skillset and this move will add x, y, z that you wouldnt get at company A.

Thanks for the feedback. Great point! The answer was right under my nose.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SilverBull wrote:
Hello!

I've recently received an offer by a competing firm in my industry to do the same job for more money, with a more reputable company, more exciting responsibilities, and a better team. I am applying to business schools this fall and I've been told that switching companies before applying is a huge red flag. How true is this? I'd rather not keep from switching into a better job. And, before it gets mentioned, yes they know I have business school aspirations. They send a lot of individuals to business school and definitely are a huge recruiter from them in the finance industry (my industry).

Would switching be a bad idea from an application point of view?

The short of it is if it's a better job, it's just a "red flag" for how awesome you are. Seriously. I mean how can a job with more money, a more reputable company, more exciting responsibilities, and a better team EVER be seen as bad from a Bschool perspective?

Go you!
GMAT Club Bot