Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 21:18 It is currently 04 May 2024, 21:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC applicants (Jan 2016 intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Hi CommonMBApplicant,

I have also been accepted for Jan 2016.

Hi Zat,

Thank you for arranging separate pages here for every class intake. I noticed that sometimes people also create closed groups on Facebook where people can discuss post application process.
Can you please help us create one just to avoid the situation when everyone acceted will create his/her own.

Thank you in advance!

Kirill
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
cyrill001 wrote:
Hi CommonMBApplicant,

I have also been accepted for Jan 2016.

Hi Zat,

Thank you for arranging separate pages here for every class intake. I noticed that sometimes people also create closed groups on Facebook where people can discuss post application process.
Can you please help us create one just to avoid the situation when everyone acceted will create his/her own.

Thank you in advance!

Kirill

Hi Kirill,

An official Facebook page for accepted candidates is created and managed by the MBA Council every year. You will receive a link for the page in a mail from HEC shortly.
Current Student
Send PM
P.S. Congratulations to both you guys! Welcome on board!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks a lot Zat

Hey everyone

I am sure there are many people who would be applying to HEC in the later rounds and I would like to give back to this community since I have lurked around the website for a long time and got immense help from the people here. So here goes my experience.

My profile-Architect from India with 4 years of experience in Real estate and construction industry. Worked in a real estate developer for 2 years and currently working with a start up. 6 months of work experience in Germany. Decent academics from a premier college and decent GMAT score (700), lots of leadership experiences.

I submitted my application on 31st Jan and got my pre selection email in exact 2 weeks. I got my interviewer details within 2 days and I immediately contacted them and scheduled my interview. I really liked the past paced application process of HEC. HEC had always been my favorite school because of its cultural diversity, location and a balanced duration course- 16 months, unlike other US B-Schools or INSEAD. Also the investment is pretty low compared to a US B-School. They also have an on-campus accommodation which makes the community feeling even stronger. Plus its Europe!

Interview 1 My first interview was with a 2013 alumnus. We scheduled an interview at a nearby cafe. I reached the place 30 mins prior to the scheduled time. The format of the interview was pretty simple- The presentation followed by an interview. I chose a topic that is very close to my field and I have worked extensively on-Implementing construction technology in India. I kept the topic very generic, focusing on the challenges of the construction industry, various technologies available and various strategies to implement them on a micro and macro level. The interview was followed by a fairly relaxed conversation with questions on my career progression, why MBA, desired career after MBA, why HEC etc. Further he asked me about my strengths, areas of improvement, what contributions I would make to the class and which clubs was I interested in. This was followed by few questions that I had thought of. I asked him about typical student day at HEC, his experience during his exchange and most memorable experience during MBA. He also gave me a few tips about HEC if I got in. Since I was kind of sure about the industry I wanted to work in, he asked me to start networking from Day 1 and actively look for case competitions. He was also from the January intake and he told me that the jan intake is a really closed knit community since the class size is really small (70 students). Also the diversity of the class is a key strength of HEC. Overall it was a great experience and I left having a good feeling about the interview.

Interview 2. My second interview was with a 2012 alumnus based in Zurich through skype. She was from the construction industry and I knew this one would be more specific. So I prepared in details on which type of companies (specifically from Real Estate) I was targeting, specific trends in Paris Real Estate etc. This interview also started with the presentation and my interviewer had a lot of questions on my presentation. She showed keen interest in my presentation topic. Then there were some questions on my international exposure followed by typical MBA questions. She also asked me on challenges of setting an office of a multinational company in India. Then she asked me a few questions on my volunteer experience. I have been involved in training a group of women in computers at an NGO. We discussed further on topics of women empowerment in India and what challenges I faced while training them. She also stated that construction industry has very few women leaders and asked my opinion on the issue. Then I asked her on how she got in her current company because it was not one of the regular hiring companies at HEC. She said that she did a case competition for it and that's how they recruited her. She also suggested that I should learn French before the program starts and not bank upon learning it during the program because that would give an additional edge. Overall, a more specific interview but the experience was really good.

Oh and yes- Both of them said their best experience was the military style training program at St. Cyr. That should really be something.

Final decision came a week after I completed my interviews- Accepted! :-D

My two cents to all those applying- Focus on your essays because they are really important. And more importantly, just be yourself. For the presentation topic, choose one which you are really confident about but does not have a lot of industry jargon. Even if it is your industry related, keep it on a very superficial level so that a person from a different industry can understand it. Dry run your presentation in front of your friends. I did it 2-3 times and asked for constant feedback. Research your interviewers well and chose some really specific and some generic questions to ask them. And although I was not asked, I have read it in previous posts that applicants should be ready with why not LBS or INSEAD instead question.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hello all,

Has anybody got pre-selected for this month's admission round?

Regards, Chin
Current Student
Send PM
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
Thanks a lot Zat

Hey everyone

I am sure there are many people who would be applying to HEC in the later rounds and I would like to give back to this community since I have lurked around the website for a long time and got immense help from the people here. So here goes my experience.

My profile-Architect from India with 4 years of experience in Real estate and construction industry. Worked in a real estate developer for 2 years and currently working with a start up. 6 months of work experience in Germany. Decent academics from a premier college and decent GMAT score (700), lots of leadership experiences.

I submitted my application on 31st Jan and got my pre selection email in exact 2 weeks. I got my interviewer details within 2 days and I immediately contacted them and scheduled my interview. I really liked the past paced application process of HEC. HEC had always been my favorite school because of its cultural diversity, location and a balanced duration course- 16 months, unlike other US B-Schools or INSEAD. Also the investment is pretty low compared to a US B-School. They also have an on-campus accommodation which makes the community feeling even stronger. Plus its Europe!

Interview 1 My first interview was with a 2013 alumnus. We scheduled an interview at a nearby cafe. I reached the place 30 mins prior to the scheduled time. The format of the interview was pretty simple- The presentation followed by an interview. I chose a topic that is very close to my field and I have worked extensively on-Implementing construction technology in India. I kept the topic very generic, focusing on the challenges of the construction industry, various technologies available and various strategies to implement them on a micro and macro level. The interview was followed by a fairly relaxed conversation with questions on my career progression, why MBA, desired career after MBA, why HEC etc. Further he asked me about my strengths, areas of improvement, what contributions I would make to the class and which clubs was I interested in. This was followed by few questions that I had thought of. I asked him about typical student day at HEC, his experience during his exchange and most memorable experience during MBA. He also gave me a few tips about HEC if I got in. Since I was kind of sure about the industry I wanted to work in, he asked me to start networking from Day 1 and actively look for case competitions. He was also from the January intake and he told me that the jan intake is a really closed knit community since the class size is really small (70 students). Also the diversity of the class is a key strength of HEC. Overall it was a great experience and I left having a good feeling about the interview.

Interview 2. My second interview was with a 2012 alumnus based in Zurich through skype. She was from the construction industry and I knew this one would be more specific. So I prepared in details on which type of companies (specifically from Real Estate) I was targeting, specific trends in Paris Real Estate etc. This interview also started with the presentation and my interviewer had a lot of questions on my presentation. She showed keen interest in my presentation topic. Then there were some questions on my international exposure followed by typical MBA questions. She also asked me on challenges of setting an office of a multinational company in India. Then she asked me a few questions on my volunteer experience. I have been involved in training a group of women in computers at an NGO. We discussed further on topics of women empowerment in India and what challenges I faced while training them. She also stated that construction industry has very few women leaders and asked my opinion on the issue. Then I asked her on how she got in her current company because it was not one of the regular hiring companies at HEC. She said that she did a case competition for it and that's how they recruited her. She also suggested that I should learn French before the program starts and not bank upon learning it during the program because that would give an additional edge. Overall, a more specific interview but the experience was really good.

Oh and yes- Both of them said their best experience was the military style training program at St. Cyr. That should really be something.

Final decision came a week after I completed my interviews- Accepted! :-D

My two cents to all those applying- Focus on your essays because they are really important. And more importantly, just be yourself. For the presentation topic, choose one which you are really confident about but does not have a lot of industry jargon. Even if it is your industry related, keep it on a very superficial level so that a person from a different industry can understand it. Dry run your presentation in front of your friends. I did it 2-3 times and asked for constant feedback. Research your interviewers well and chose some really specific and some generic questions to ask them. And although I was not asked, I have read it in previous posts that applicants should be ready with why not LBS or INSEAD instead question.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing the in-depth interview experience CommonMBApplicant! You interview debrief has been added to the first post of the January 2016 and September 2015 threads in the Interview debriefs of GMATClub members section. :-D
Current Student
Send PM
UPDATE: Hey Guys! Here's the link to a new blog by one of the MBA participants from the Jan 15 Intake. You can go through his posts to know about the latest experiences:

https://timomarquez.com/category/mba/

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This group has been awfully quiet so I thought of starting a conversation. :-D Any more recent admits?

@Zat-when do you think the facebook group will be created for the admits.

@ Kirill- did you pay your deposit yet? Any thoughts on financing?
Intern
Intern
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
This group has been awfully quiet so I thought of starting a conversation. :-D Any more recent admits?

Hello CommonMBApplicant/Kirill

I have been accepted last week into the programme too for the Jan 2016 intake. Like you said, it would be good to have a facebook page. I suppose it's a bit early for January, but we should get in touch!

Chin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
CommonMBApplicant wrote:

Hi CommonMBApplicant!

I paid the first installment and recently got an email from the school confirming my acceptance.
I would recommend you to look closer to Prodigy Finance. As far as I know this is the only real option for external financing at HEC.
BNP Paribas requires co-signer or bank guarantee from the local bank, but offers very very competitive rates.

To all,

I heard that good skills of French is big advantage for HEC graduates looking for a job, so if anyone need a partner to start practicing French even befor the program will start - let me know

Kirill
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cyrill001 wrote:
CommonMBApplicant wrote:

Hi CommonMBApplicant!

I paid the first installment and recently got an email from the school confirming my acceptance.
I would recommend you to look closer to Prodigy Finance. As far as I know this is the only real option for external financing at HEC.
BNP Paribas requires co-signer or bank guarantee from the local bank, but offers very very competitive rates.

To all,

I heard that good skills of French is big advantage for HEC graduates looking for a job, so if anyone need a partner to start practicing French even befor the program will start - let me know

Kirill

Hi Kirill.

I contacted Prodigy Finance and they have agreed to provide only a portion of the tuition fees and offered a good rate, although not as good as BNP Paribas thingy. The positive side is that they don't require any co-signer or bank guarantee and minimal paperwork. I am looking for other options to sponsor the rest of the money. That's the tricky part. I know that BNP is really good but the International Bank Guarantee is a tough one to crack. I read on a forum that only few banks here actually know about it and the paperwork required is huge. If you need some info on the Prodigy Finance thing, PM me and I will let you know the details.

I truly agree with you on the French part. My interviewer had specifically told me to learn it before the program starts. I have already started French classes and it would be great to practice together. PM me on how you want to do it.

Hi Chin,

Congrats for the admit. If you want to join the club to learn French together, or discuss on anything general, you are most welcome to. Let me know if you want any help. I am sure we can utilize the upcoming 8 months to our collective benefits.

Thanks,

CommonMBApplicant
Current Student
Send PM
CommonMBApplicant wrote:

Hi CommonMBApplicant,

I checked with the MBA Council regarding the Facebook group for your intake. It will be created tentatively by July '15. You will receive an invitation via e-mail to join the group.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Many of you must be aware that the HEC MBAT 2015 is going to be held during May 07-09. Here's the link to the official teaser:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

I am admitted to the Jan 2016 intake as well. Are there any FB or https://gmatclub.com/chat group I can join to keep in touch with you guys?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fxhohoho wrote:
Hi all,

I am admitted to the Jan 2016 intake as well. Are there any FB or https://gmatclub.com/chat group I can join to keep in touch with you guys?

Hi fxhohoho

Congrats for the admit!

Here is the link to the official FB group. Jan 2017. Do remember to introduce yourself once you join.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

I have been accepted for the January 2016 intake.

Cant wait.

Regards
Zahid
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi All,

I have been accepted for the January 2016 intake.

About me in a sentence: I am an Indian born German national currently working in the UK as an Aerospace Consultant..

Cheers!
Kartheek
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts