Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 2.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 2.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: London Business School: MIF 2015 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Meet a current EMBA-Global study group
On joining the EMBA-Global Americas and Europe programme, you’ll be assigned to a study group of four to six people, who will no doubt become lifelong friends. Our students tell us this is one of the most valuable parts of the overall learning experience. It can be challenging to work in multicultural teams, but it’s an essential […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
PTK wrote:
VSB27 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the process of submitting my final application before the Mar 10 deadline.
Can those who've been offered a final offer or invited for interview share their profile please.

Any advice on the application is also welcome.
--
Many thanks,
VSB27

You may start with yourself :)

Hi PTK, I'd posted my profile earlier too.. but here it is again.. with an update..
Indian Male, 30, MBA (top indian b-school); CFA; 6 years of corporate banking experience; Okay extra currics; GMAT 690
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
So based on the posts so far, I've consolidated the statuses of applicants as under:
lucifer87, binmahmood, weerawat - LBS offer not accepted
kai0660, michelle3225 - received the LBS offer. No updates on status of acceptance
Echni, PTK, vichayas - interviewed with LBS. No updates on status of offer.
riteshchopra2005 - dude you started the blog and havent written a word since. whats your status?
sanchitbhatia - planned on applying in R2
jayaramnitk, DBLOCK, andonis85, Adonis80 - havent heard from any of your guys yet.
In case I have missed someone, please reply..

While I await a revert on my application, a humble request to all those who have been interviewed.. please share your interview experience. May come in handy for applicants of this batch / next..

Lets make this forum interactive. :) :)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Highlights of the LGBT webinar
Hi everyone, You can follow a transcript of today’s LGBT at LBS webinar at https://ow.ly/Kuilm. Peter

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Meet a current EMBA-Global Asia study group
On joining the EMBA-Global Asia programme, you’ll be assigned to a study group of four to six people, who will no doubt become lifelong friends. Our students tell us this is one of the most valuable parts of the overall learning experience. It can be challenging to work in multicultural teams, but it’s an essential management skill […]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
VSB27 wrote:
So based on the posts so far, I've consolidated the statuses of applicants as under:
kai0660, michelle3225 - received the LBS offer. No updates on status of acceptance
riteshchopra2005 - dude you started the blog and havent written a word since. whats your status?
jayaramnitk, DBLOCK, andonis85, Adonis80 - havent heard from any of your guys yet.

While I await a revert on my application, a humble request to all those who have been interviewed.. please share your interview experience. May come in handy for applicants of this batch / next..

HI
thanks for status.
I have interviewed and I am waiting for admission decision.
My interview was pretty straightforward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi guys,

my Profile:
male, early 30s, from a western European country
5 years Commercial Banking experience
CFA Level 3
GMAT 680

Currently waiting for the interview to take place.

Those who have declined their offers, maybe you could share some thoughts on why you declined; which alternative School you chose; if you have the feeling there is something not so positive going on with the Programme/current intake/LBS in general (the subdued activity in this thread compared to earlier intakes seems strange to me, as well as strong candidates turning their offers down)...

Kind regards and best of luck to you all.
Just share what you like.. Many thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
VSB27 wrote:

My interview is on March 31st.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Apart from the cost, one thing that disappointed me was the profile of fellow admits which was very average and nowhere in comparison to any top bschool MBA class. The class was culturally diverse for sure but the professional background was very average.

Also the employment scene didn't look all that great. You would get something in UK for sure but not necessarily something you want to do. Also the average post employment salary is also below par. For comparison, the average base salary of students who got a job in UK was around 61k pounds, good 14k short of their MBA average. What I know from friends is that in UK the base salary in BB banks is usually around 65-75k for Associate level roles. Hedge funds should pay even more. Whats more disheartening is that their post employment salary is going down every year and even then the fees is going up.

So, in a nutshell, the program didn't look like a good value addition for me atleast. It was more like a UK employment visa that costs 16 months and ~60k pounds (including living).

My background:

Male, 28 years, Indian
GMAT: 770
Currently working as Associate in Investment Management Division at Goldman Sachs in Bangalore.
Total experience by June: 5 years

Education: BTech from IIT, CFA and FRM holder.
https://in.linkedin.com/in/vivekiitv
Applied in October, Interviewed in Early November, Offered in Mid November, Asked for Scholarship, Declined in Feb.

I am not joining any other school,

snatch123 wrote:
Hi guys,

my Profile:
male, early 30s, from a western European country
5 years Commercial Banking experience
CFA Level 3
GMAT 680

Currently waiting for the interview to take place.

Those who have declined their offers, maybe you could share some thoughts on why you declined; which alternative School you chose; if you have the feeling there is something not so positive going on with the Programme/current intake/LBS in general (the subdued activity in this thread compared to earlier intakes seems strange to me, as well as strong candidates turning their offers down)...

Kind regards and best of luck to you all.
Just share what you like.. Many thanks!!

Originally posted by lucifer87 on 29 Mar 2015, 07:55.
Last edited by lucifer87 on 21 Nov 2015, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Advance your career with a Masters at Europe’s #1 Business School
Hi everyone! Just a brief introduction, my name is Cindy Li – Recruitment Coordinator for our Masters in Finance (MiF) programmes. My job is to guide prospective candidates through the application process; answering any questions along the way. I am very pleased to announce that LinkedIn recently ranked London Business School as the best graduate […]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Folks,

My profile,

Indian Male
Engineer, MBA (Finance), CFA charterholder
GMAT 710
Working in PE industry for last 6 years
Interviewed with alum on March 20th, now awaiting results

As the admission round timeline has gone by, was wondering if it would be a good idea to follow-up with the admissions team, before they head into Easter break? Seems like they usually revert back within a week of submission of interview report.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
:-D Denied.

Timeline:
Application sumbitted - January 6
Interviewed -February 7
Denied admission - April 2. Why so late? My interviewer was sooo busy that he could not sumbit interview report in time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VSB27 wrote:

I'm in.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Electives, electives
This week the last add/drop round for electives is over, so for any MiFs who, like me, are not taking the fourth term, that means we have had our final say in the subjects which will appear in our transcript. Now what is left to work on is the grades which accompany them only. Should be a piece of cake! (That was a joke, and before you ask, yes, us MiFs can and do crack jokes as well as anyone)

Anyhow, I thought this a good time to talk a bit about how I got around picking my electives, since it seems to also be a topic of much concern among candidates I have talked with so far. The good news is, the elective portfolio for MiFs currently consists of an amazing 32 courses, out of which we can choose 7 to 10 to add to our program. The bad news is, the elective portfolio for MiFs currently consists of an STAGGERING  32 courses, out of which we HAVE TO choose 7 to 10 to add to our program. You might not think 7 to 10 is that many, but I assure you, when you get down to it, it is actually a lot to choose, also it means that you get to decide entirely for yourself what you are going to do at LBS from the second term onward. To offer you aid in this time of need, LBS has a nice online bidding system, which all of us, despite initial skepticism, have found very user-friendly and tremendously helpful. You will be introduced to the system in due course in your year at LBS, so i will not talk more about it. What I want to do with this post is giving you a few pointers about how to actually pick the electives to bid for, using the aforementioned awesome system. You can trust me, I think, because learning from past mistakes is always one of the best ways to learn, and, as you will see soon enough, I have messed up rather spectacularly with my Spring term choices.

Pointer #1: Balance your schedule. For your reference, the prevailing practice appears to be 4 to 5 electives per term, but that is the nature of such practice, for reference only, because you should not let peer pressure talks you into doing all 4 courses when you are already spreading yourself too thin with job hunt and internships and what-not. If, in Spring term, you have managed to secure an ideal internship, or you want to finish you CFA (or ACCA, as I ought to have done, but was too lazy to), or it just happens to be the recruitment season in your favorite industry, if any of that happens, then it is perfectly okay to limit yourself to 2 electives or even the minimum of 1. Last term there was this week in which I was juggling 4 group assignments just when things were starting to get crazy at my internship (I interned at a designer boutique and it was London Fashion Week, yes, it was as horrific as it sounds). It was an amazingly exciting, highly fulfilling week, but one which I would rather not repeat, seeing how I was mostly dead on my feet for the fortnight following.

Pointer #2: Balance your courses. Among the available electives, there are some we unofficially refer to as “light courses”, owing to the fact that they do not require much of heavy book-lifting and/or intensive case studies. On the other end of the spectrum, there are monstrous courses which require you to, every week, prepare a 30-page case, read 5 research papers and 50 pages of textbooks, swim the length of the Amazon and climb to the top of the Everest. Okay, that was probably exaggerating it a tiny bit, but you get my point, no? Basically, you would not want to study more than 2 of those Herculean electives together in one term. In Spring I innocently, happily, opted to do 3 of them at the same time. People have been telling me I was courting death, and you know what, I wholeheartedly agree.

Pointer #3: Balance your purpose. I am sure, having gone through all the stress of the application process to finally get an offer from LBS, you would want your academic year in London to add as much value as possible to your future career, so, at the risk of being the ultimate kill-joy, I do think you need to choose electives based on their degree of possible usefulness for the job you want to do after graduation. Thanks to our ever thoughtful program office, this pointer is not as hard to execute as it sounds. As you may well know already, there are 3 possible concentrations you can go for within the MiF: investment management & analysis, corporate finance, and risk management & derivatives. So, all you need to do is take your pick and filter the list in the elective timetable to narrow it down to the useful courses.

Pointer #4: Forget balance, let’s have some fun. I am putting myself in great danger here, of course, because there is no guarantee that I won’t be told off for giving you this completely irresponsible advice. But, honestly, if there is something I most highly recommend people to do at LBS, it is to have fun. So, if among the electives there happens to be a subject which truly interests you, do not hesitate to bid for it, even if it has nothing to do with your future career or if you have only the faintest notion of what it is all about. Because why not? There will probably be no other period of time in your life in which you are so totally free to satisfy your academic curiosity. As I distinctly remember, in my application essay, I did tell LBS that the reason why I want to do the MiF is, first and foremost, because I want to study. Up to this point, 2 terms into the program, I find that I can still repeat that conviction of mine with pride (I do have to repeat it actually, you know, people keep raising eyebrows at my choice of doing that Behavioral Finance elective).

As a final thought, despite the jumble I made in picking electives, my Spring term was, on the whole, very enjoyable and I do not regret taking any of the 4 courses I took. I learned an awful lot of new things and I had my fair share of fun too. Bottom line: you can’t go wrong with any of those 32 (and soon to be increased) electives.

That is it, folks, I hope you find these pointers of mine somewhat useful, if not, please be generous enough to consider it a harmless bit of rambling from a student wishing to do something different in this last week before her new school term starts. I am doing 5 electives in Summer, so wish me luck?

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Newly wed or young family @ MiF
The MiF  is a leading post-experience master program for potential candidates with an average of 6-7 years working experience. Therefore, it’s not a surprise that one will meet many MiF students  who have just recently gotten married or have a young family. In addition, as MiF is a very intense program which requires one’s full commitment (in terms of money, time and energy) both from the students and their families, I would strongly suggest for potential candidates to discuss this life-changing plan with your family prior to enrollment.

Based on my observations, there are several “types” of newly wed or young family in MiF :

1.  “Domestically” single (but not available)

This is the type of newly wed or young family that has to be separated during the program for various reasons (job, children etc.) Hence, either the husband or the wife will remain in his/her country and the couple/young family will meet up during the school breaks to spend quality time together. There are several  benefits to this option i.e. the student could focus on studying, participating in the school activities or be actively engaged in job hunting. However, one has to note that this is at the cost of the loss of quality time with the family, and especially if you  have children, you might miss one of the most important development phases of their lives.

2. Full house

For this type, the whole family would move to London. This will be ideal if you are fully sponsored  or might not have (or relatively small) financial constraints. However, as mentioned previously, MiF is a very intense program. Thus, it is important that your family are in the same boat, and communication is the key to have a balanced life between your campus and family life. Nevertheless, LBS is very supportive to the students and their spouses.  The campus  provides a lot of activities for the student’s family, through the partners club or student’s clubs.

3. 2nd Honeymooner

This type of family  usually has relatively older children who are willing to be left behind in their country to stay with the student’s relatives due to various reasons (i.e. school, health, language etc). Thus, the husband/wife can join the student during the duration of the program.

Now it is up to you and your family to decide on the type of family that you prefer during your MiF experince.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: EMBA Dubai welcomed its highest intake of female students in January
We are extremely proud to announce that we welcomed our highest intake of female students on our EMBA Dubai programme, January 2015 intake. 28% of the 61 students were female with almost a quarter with a UAE nationality.  They all have a proven professional and academic track record and are tremendously engaged within their own respective industries. […]

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Masters in Finance is more than Finance
I decided to write this post to reflect on the tremendous amount of opportunities I have been a part of since I started the MiF program 9 months ago. More specifically, I’d like to share with you my experience at LBS this past week alone.

Granted, the quality of the MiF program is top-notch (as ranked #1 by the Financial Times for a consecutive of years). What truly amazes me is the diversity and inclusion at LBS – the people, the cultures, and the opportunities.

Practitioner Courses (Monday & Wednesday)

In addition to the core courses and the elective courses, LBS students have the options to take practitioner courses, which are courses run by experienced industry practitioners. Starting this week, I have two weekly practitioner courses in my calendar: Advanced Financial Modeling and Social Entrepreneurship.

The Advanced Financial Modeling course teaches the mechanics of financial modeling and equips students with the tools to perform various and practical financial structuring and modeling tasks as done in most investment banks.

The Social Entrepreneurship course aims to provide students a comprehensive introduction to the field of social entrepreneurship, and to identify the opportunities and challenges of a career in social entrepreneurship.

These are two very distinctive courses; one is more technical and the other is more entrepreneurial. As I am currently working on two part-time projects, one for a financial advisory firm and the other for a not-for-profit organization, I find these practitioner courses especially valuable.

Sundowners (Thursday)

The LBS Sundowners happen every Thursday evening, from 6:45pm to 8:30pm. Faculty, students and alumni gather at The Nash lounge for free beer and wine. Since one of the 8 rules set by the Sundownders Crew is “What happens in the Nash stays in the Nash”, I won’t go into further details. Just know that Sundowners is probably one of the most beloved things for the LBS community.

TEDxLondon Business School (Thursday & Friday)

Something I genuinely enjoy doing is volunteering. Despite my schedules during Term 1 and 2 were mostly packed with classes and recruitment, I always try to find the time and opportunities to volunteer – such as teaching primary and secondary students business skills, fundraising for Toy Drive and conducting mock interviews for high school students.

This Thursday and Friday, I had the pleasure to volunteer for the annual TEDxLBS conference. On Thursday, the volunteers gathered at Royal Geographical Society to set up the venue, sort the 500 goodie bags and badges, and ensure everything is ready for the next day. Within five hours, we allocated over five thousands of goodies into five hundred bags for the attendees. Supply chain, time management, and manpower – all the hard work goes into the gift bags for tomorrow.

TEDxLBS is a whole-day event from 9:30 to 19:00, with 15 talks on a wide range of topics (finance, science, technology, art, music, Africa, and leadership). The theme of TEDxLBS 2015 is KALEIDOSCOPE: Kalos, Eidos, Skopeo (Beauty, Shape, Examine) – the observation of beautiful forms.

The volunteer team arrived at Royal Geographical Society by 7:15am on Friday. I was responsible for registration, sponsor booth and ushering. Although I missed half of the talks, I was very happy to see the audiences being inspired by the speakers. Through TEDxLBS, we gain the kaleidoscope to explore and reflect new colors and perspectives.

If you missed the conference, don’t worry. The TEDxLBS videos will be available online in a couple of weeks!

LBS Hackathon Bootcamp (Saturday)

Having spent six years of my life living in Silicon Valley, I’ve always been interested in technology and innovation. The LBS Hackathon is a weekend long event where people passionate about entrepreneurship come together to create products from ideas. The actual LBS Hackathon is going to be held next weekend, but the Hackathon team is very thoughtful to organize a Bootcamp to get everyone prepared, technically and mentally.

During the one-day Bootcamp, participants from LBS and outside of LBS gathered to learn the multiple aspects of creating a startup. We had speakers and attendees who are entrepreneurs, scientists, lawyers, doctors and “business people”. From coding 101 to fundraising and legal, business model canvas to product design & MVP creation. The speakers particularly emphasize the importance and value of people. “Most of the startups fail not because of the product, but because of the people.”

I am impressed by how much I’ve learned within only one day. I can’t wait for the LBS Hackthon next weekend!

MBAT Volleyball Practice (Sunday)

One month after I joined LBS in August 2014, I met a few MBA2015 students who went to the MBAT in 2014. They all agreed that it was one of their best experiences at LBS. I therefore made sure that I don’t miss out on this special opportunity (the tickets were sold within seconds)!

“The MBA Tournament (MBAT) is the biggest and best inter-school sporting event of the modern ages.” It’s the annual sport tournaments where all the top business schools compete with each other on a physical level. “The illustrious House LBS has historically dominated this tournie of business school champions and we intend to continue to #OwnTheThrone!”​

As MBAT is approaching in two weeks, the LBS teams are practicing frequently and hard. On Sunday afternoon, after I visited Hampstead Village with my PEVC study group, I joined the Volleyball team at Regents Park for a practice session. We are incredibly excited to #OwnTheThrone for LBS at HEC Paris!

Here it is. A glimpse into a week of my life at LBS. I hope this article has provided you some new perspectives about the endless possibilities at London Business School.

Masters in Finance is more than finance.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts